Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I've moved my gaming PC into my living room to live the big picture life and am thinking of building a Plex server/occasional office PC to put on the empty desk in my spare room.

I have an old Node 304 to build in but I'm not entirely sure what I should fill it with. I would have thought an i3 would be the logical starting point, but the new quad core ones seem like they might be overkill? And AMD is good now? Please help

(I'm in the UK)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
I picked up a Noctua NH-L9i for an ITX plex server recently, and it's basically silent

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

The 8700k is available for less than £20 more than this. Seems more than worth it for the 0.5GHz boost in stock clock speed alone, and even if you're not intending to OC out of the box, it could be a nice option to have down the road if you need to squeeze a bit more life out of the system

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
I thought 3TB and 1.5TB drives from Seagate were the only problematic ones? I just bought 3 4TB Barracudas, so I definitely hope that's the case!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

tank is raid leader O.K. posted:

So uh, due to an unfortunate accident, my ~5 year old gaming PC took a dive off a bench. Having tried to get it up and working again to no avail, I've decided to look at building my first PC unaided. (Last one was a "get a mate who Knows Things to build it for you for a case of beer" kind of thing.)

So, tech Goons, how badly am I loving this up? Seems to be a decent sweet spot between price and performance, but if there's anything that's noticeably poo poo let me know.

PCPartPicker part list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/brbKgw

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.01 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital - Green 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($135.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit
Total: $820.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-16 01:03 AEDT+1100

750w seems like overkill for that build, you might want to get a higher quality PSU with lower wattage. The site you're using have a 550w seasonic focus plus gold for $10 more, and it's gold rated and comes with 10 year warranty, twice that of the CXM.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Am I missing anything? Is that version of Windows the kind that you can only install to one motherboard ever?

Microsoft started associating Windows licenses with Microsoft accounts instead of hardware a couple of years ago. I've had no trouble transferring my (originally windows 8.1) OEM license over 3 motherboard swaps.

I actually managed to save a bit of money by upgrading an ancient windows 7 laptop to 10 and associating it with my dad's MS account which I then transferred to a new PC I built for him. Was very surprised it worked.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Edmond Dantes posted:

The 2060 EVGAs are the EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC Gaming and the EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC Black Edition Gaming which seem to be... exactly the same thing?

The black has a lower boost clock (1680 MHz vs 1755 MHz).

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

asmallrabbit posted:

How legit are the windows keys through SA-mart? $25 seems a little too good to be true, is it gonna get deactivated down the road for fraud or something?

I doubt it. I bought a similarly priced grey market windows 7 key like 5 years ago and it has been fine. I don't think people would recommend SA mart keys if they were any different.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

VelociBacon posted:

Extremely legit, I've never heard of any goon having a problem with it. I've reinstalled windows 10 on a new build (almost entirely new components) with the same key and it worked fine also.

I think it's now possible to change as many components as you want as often as you want without ever requiring a new license (so long as you only have one active installation) because licenses are tied to Microsoft accounts rather than hardware.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

5436 posted:

Sounds like a hassle, I'll just get the meshify or something.

It's literally just buying a differently sized PSU with a bracket, there's really no more hassle involved than installing an ATX PSU.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
Yeah I only have a small Noctua cooler (U12S afair) and it's barely noticeable at load. I don't know how much quieter water cooling would be but it doesn't really matter given that it's already totally drowned out by my GPU fan.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
It only compares two cards so maybe this isn't universally true, but this comparison has the blower design running quieter for the same GPU temp and lower case temps.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

tuyop posted:

I, too, weep for enormous software companies with effective monopolies and more revenue than most countries. :qqsay:

I think the point is less "why are you not paying poor old Microsoft?" and more "if you have no compunctions about not paying MS, why are you instead paying some rando for something you can get for free?"

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Butt Discussin posted:

If you use a valid key, you download the software directly from Microsoft and get updates and can be pretty sure it's not pre-virused. There's no such guarantee for a cracked copy of Windows.

You can download the software directly from microsoft and activate it with a key from a key generator and get updates. Actually you can just download the software directly from microsoft and never activate it and still get updates.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

mfny posted:

So, am in need of an overhaul to my 5 year old AM3 platform based setup, budget is around £300 or so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/3OGC4H5FM50BB?ref_=wl_share

That is what I have so far..

Upgrading from a FX 6350. Transferring my existing RX 570 8GB to new setup, reusing PSU/Case. Changing cooling in case to hopefully be a bit better while I am at it. Upgrading from a 120GB 2.5in SSD to a 512GB NVME thing.

By changing your cooling in the case do you mean you intend to install the NF-P12s in your wishlist as case fans? If so you might want to get a pair of NF-S12Bs instead, the P12 is a higher pressure fan optimised for heat sinks and radiators, the S12B is better for airflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Mu Zeta posted:

I like the look of it but the video card is right next to the psu shroud area and the air has nowhere to go. It's choked. Same problem as the NZXT h200.

I have a Nano S and my 2070 Super (with an ATX PSU right against one of the fans) rarely breaks 70C.