Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I'm about to upgrade most of my PC, and thought I'd come to you guys for advice (like everyone else).

What country are you in? UK.
What are you using the system for? Gaming/general entertainment. Power efficiency is good as it's on most of the time if I'm home - communication, music, films etc are all on here, not a separate device.
What's your budget? £500, give or take if it's worth going a bit one way or the other.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 2x 1080p.

Already have:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For £27.82)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F2 EG 1.5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £81.99)

PSU and cooler are both less than a year old. Memory is less than two years. Case is admittedly ridiculous but we all make bad decisions - no point replacing it though, I've had it years! Existing parts to be replaced are an AMD Phenom II x4 925 and a 5770.

Looking to buy CPU, motherboard, GPU and an SSD. Not bothered about overclocking (but if the price difference is small might as well be capable of it I guess?) I'm also going to grab a new optical drive but that's not exactly expensive, and probably a new keyboard - I currently have a cheap nobrand POS keyboard that hasn't died yet, but I wouldn't mind something a little nicer. I'm not aiming for massive performance, just a decent upgrade.

Is it worth going for Skylake and DDR4, if I already have sufficient new-ish DDR3 for now? Or would I be better served sticking with an older processor and my existing memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, your budget is too low to do what you want here, here is a build I made, it's about as low as I could get it:

(snip)

Anyway, I hope that helps out, feel free to ask any questions if you need to. :)

Gonna pass on the keyboard for now and look at that later.

2x8GB of the same brand/same speed RAM is only about £20 more than the 2x4GB - might as well spend that bit. I'm chucking an optical drive in as well (for the extortion sum of £14...)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£197.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For £0.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£86.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£66.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£70.71 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F2 EG 1.5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£149.99 @ Novatech)
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Novatech)
Mouse: Logitech MX518 Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £585.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 19:34 BST+0100

It seems a 4GB GTX960 (or a 4GB R9 380) are only another £20-30 than the card you suggested too - would that be worthwhile?
(Examples: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-turbogtx960oc4gd5 and https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixr9380dc2oc4gd5gaming)

(The original budget sum was a target, not a limit - I can spend that little bit more if I get worthwhile return on it.)

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Question for you guys: My current plans involve getting a GTX960. Given the recent announcements are for high end cards, would you expect there to be much price change at the middle/lower end of the market? Should I wait a bit, or should I just go ahead?

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Neo_Crimson posted:

People are already selling their 980Tis for like $350, 970s will probably go for sub 200 very soon.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hold off and get a used 970 or 980ti, that will be a far, far, far better value than a 960 right now.

I'd prefer to buy new - and I do want to buy stuff within the next few weeks. Is the new market likely to be affected in any useful way?

I've never really paid much attention around launches as I've not been buying any where near the high end stuff.