Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Building a new rig for under $1000 to replace my old rear end AMD rig, and this is what I've come up with so far
I'll be using it for 16:9 gaming as well as A/V production with Premiere, After Effects, Protools, Reaper -- mostly non professional work -- Dual monitor setup

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: DIYPC Ranger-R4-R ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.79 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $808.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-10 13:30 EDT-0400

The ram that's in the list matches the set I already have, so the new system will have 16gigs of 1333. Also I'll be throwing in the HDDs that are already in my current rig for storage.

Anyway, the thing that's bothering me is that the listed ASRock mobo has some poo poo reviews on newegg that say it has wacky defects. The thing is, almost every mobo in my price range has a good amount of really hosed up reviews on newegg pointing out weird defects. Are mobos just really finicky these days, or does the 1150 socket have problems, or are newegg reviewers just pissbabies?

Also any general thoughts on the build? is something poo poo? is something overkill? that kind of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Thanks for the tips homies, I'm going to change up a few things on my parts list based on your input.

My one concern is that I really want to go balls out on my processor in this build and the 4790k out benches the 6600k in terms of single core performance. Of course this would limit me to DDR3 which I though was fine because the general rule used to be that higher freqs generally meant higher latency, making memory speeds somewhat pointless. Has that changed now?

E: know what, gently caress it I'm going to go with the 6600. It seems like that's what everyone who knows way more than me is recommending. Either one is going to be a massive upgrade over my current system anyway. Thanks for the help guys

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 10, 2016