Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

It's been about five years since I built my last computer and I want to go fast.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming, Editing, Programming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. ~$1100
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1920x1080; 60FPS is good.

Here's a preliminary list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.69 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($188.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $927.01

The case was mostly chosen for aesthetics and because PCPartPicker didn't complain about it being incompatible with anything. The CPU in my old computer is an AMD Phenom II, so I'm assuming cannibalizing that isn't the best idea. I do happen to have a 1TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive, though.

Also, I'm assuming I can just use the Win10 license from my old computer, but I don't know that for sure so confirmation would be nice.

Edit: Should I wait for the 1070 and use my old graphics card until then?

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

I'll let someone else critique part choice but:

-There's nothing you can upgrade a Phenom II to except maybe a better Phenom II, so a new system is the way to go. I think some Phenom systems can upgrade to Bulldozer but that's kind of a wash, don't bother.
- If your old computer's license is 7/8 retail, you can probably install it on your new computer and then upgrade to 10. If it's OEM then you will likely need a new license.
- The 1070 is going to cost a lot more than the 960 you picked so they aren't really in the same tier, but if you want to spend that much then it's not a bad idea to wait for the 1070 (or whatever Polaris brings if it comes out fast enough) instead of buying a 970 or 390 or whatever.

Cool, thanks.