Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This may sound dumb, but I haven't built or used a PC in ten years. Do I need to update my motherboard and SSD drivers for brand new parts and Windows 10? I bought an MSI Intel Skylake H170 LGA and a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. Also, I haven't bought a video card yet, so should I use a 9800 GTX + for now or the on board video? I don't think I am going to playing new games until I buy a video card, but I may play some less demanding ones.

Anyway, device manager seems happy, things seem fast, so I assume I don't have to do anything, just wondering if that is still a thing or if generally Windows 10 manages device drivers.
Edit: I installed the Samsung utility so I guess all is good there.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Hi, I just want to make sure this board at newegg on sale is fine:

MSI - X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard

And this memory will work with AMD:

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

Or if anyone has any better memory suggestions, I don't care about the RGB part.

Thanks

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, I found that out after doing some research, I decided on this one : MSI X470 GAMING PLUS AM4 AMD X470 . Does the RAM seem okay though? It seems like there is a review for every memory brand where someone says they can't hit 3200 with a Ryzen,

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thank you for the help.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, there is a big button the top of my MSI bios (under OC or maybe just on top, I forget, but you can also get to it by going to OC) called A-XMP with two profiles you can choose from.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 17, 2018

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MZ posted:

**On a small handful of Freesync monitors that they deemed up to specification.
it will be turned on by default on the ones that pass their unknown parameters, but everyone else with freesync can try it out as well.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Are there any UPS manufacturers that are notably good or bad? I'm mostly worried about ending up with something that requires some crappy bloaty online-connected software in order to use the management features. I don't need it to run for a long time, just enough so that I can either do a clean shutdown, or go fix whatever cord problem was caused by an absent-minded dog/naughty robot vacuum.
Cyberpower seems to be the best value for having a pure sine wave if you need that but I have APC and they work fine for outages as well. I am not sure about Cyberpower, but the APC let you turn off all the beeping without having to install any software. I have one for my network and one for my PC and work great.

Cyberpower can also handle minor power fluctuations without resorting to battery so that may be the best one to choose right now:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-uninterruptible-power-supply-ups/

Edit: I checked and APC sensors show up in hwinfo as well.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
He says he has an MSI "gaming" x470. I have the MSI gaming plus and that type of flashing is not supported, I don't think the gaming pro supports it either. Anyway, that is the issue, you need to flash the bios somehow.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 19, 2019