Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I have a deifinite answer on the Windows 7 and free upgrade to Windows 10, with regards to changing motherboards. This is the free upgrade that is scheduled to end at the end of July 2016(date?), and has been going on for several months now. Note this only applies to a retail copy of Windows 7! Meaning that if you bought it in a boxed package, or online and downloaded it, you should be OK. If you have a OEM sticker on your existing system, or the card that came with a system, or any other OEM thing, then you are probably out of luck and need to purchase a new copy

So, I have a brand new system and my original windows 7 package with the DVD and 25-digit product key. I also have my "old" system which has used this key and then upgraded to 10 for free. The version I used was the black Win7 Ultimate 64bit.
1. Old computer is on the network, I used this to create my USB install keys and get drivers, etc
2. Assemble new computer, do not put on the network yet
3. Install Win7 either from your original dvd media, or a usb key, using the 25 digit product key
4. Disconnect the old computer, and keep it off the network
5. COnnect the new computer. I didn't worry about any drivers other than the network card, since I was going to be upgrading immediately
6. Start Menu-> Windows Activation, activate online. This went without a hitch, and now I have a live, activated windows 7 machine.
7. Install windows 10.. Here I did the advance install and killed all the partitions that were created in the 7 install, and just did the full clean install of 10 on the drive I wanted.
8. During the install, it will ask you for a product key, or to add it later. Leave this blank, and select I DO NOT HAVE A KEY, continue with the install as you would
9. Once you are installed and back on the network, again go Start Menu-> Windows Activation, and choose the online activate now. This is where it got flaky and said a valid product key could not be identified. One of the options was to continue manually activating over the internet. Here is where it asked my for the 25-digit product key. When I entered the string from my win7 DVD and clicked on Activate Now, it churned for a moment and then came back as Successful

At this point, I now have a new computer, all new parts, fully activated with windows 10, so as far as licensing is concerned, it should now be in the same boat as everyone else that's done a free 7->10 upgrade. Mission accomplished

I don't know now what would happen if you plug back in your old system at the same time? My geuss is that Microsoft would see both activated same key copies and take a poo poo on one of them. This didn't really matter to me since the old system was powered down and awaiting a recycle-y grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Are there case fans with LEDs that the led is on a separate wire than just the 3/4 pin that goes to the mobo?