Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is it likely that we will see sales on a 2060 Supers for black friday? i'm tempted to move up but if i'll save some money i could hold off till black friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I want to replace my mid tower with a new mini-itx for gaming

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($140.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($0 waiting for it to arrive in mail)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($0 already own it, i think it should fit in a mini-itx case? its only 150mm tall and this case has max 200mm depth for psu)

open to liquid cooling if for some reason clearance will not permit use of a fan

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 11, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Stickman posted:

The Core V1 has quite a lot of clearance and airflow, so you definitely don't need liquid cooling (especially not for a 3600!)

It has good clearance for dual-slot gpus, but wider or taller cards (like the MSI Gaming X) won't fit. I'd return it and get a EVGA XC Gaming instead. GPU cooling should be totally fine - I have a EVGA SC2 1080 Ti in my restricted-airflow Core V1 variant and it rarely goes over 75. Your G3 will also work fine!

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, but consider swapping out the 970 evo for an Inland Premium or HP ex920. There's no noticeable performance difference and you could put the $55-65 towards a gpu or monitor upgrade down the road.

E: Like Mu Zeta said, the bios is not guaranteed to be compatible out of the box. You'll either need to buy from a shop that will update the bios (like Microcenter), get it updated at a local shop (potentially expensive), or get an upgrade loaner cpu from AMD or someone else. If you're monitor is higher resolution and/or 60Hz, a 2600 would likely have identical gaming performance to the 3600 for now. You could save a bit of money, have guaranteed compatibility, and upgrade in a few years when you'd actually see a difference!

The Core V1/Suppressor F1 only has 140mm of CPU clearance, so no d15(s)/u14s/u12s or Mugen 5 Rev.B. The best air cooler it'll fit is probably the u9s, but I'd just start with stock.

hey thanks for the boatload of useful feedback!

i'm not super tied to the v1 case so i'd rather pick something similar to it that will accommodate the video card i already bought rather than try to send it back

edit: unless that card is a dealbreaker on all ITX cases

double edit: i checked the gpu length vs the space available in the case and i could 7mm space margin :v:

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 11, 2019