Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

to use ram speeds higher than 2133 you still need a K series CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Huh. They decoupled the RAM speed restriction from the CPU? I thought that was part of the bclk thing. :psyduck:

Maybe I should buy a Skylake system just to gently caress with it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You need to buy your own splitter. The DC adapter powers absolutely nothing but the motherboard and CPU, and you have to use only the 24pin ATX, or the DC adapter for that sort of thing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Upgrade the GPU, but you might want to wait for new products coming up within a month or so.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The curse is null and void if you cut yourself on the chassis or PCBs and bleed all over it though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

just charge enough to buy yourself a pizza

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Killer_B posted:

What's a generally recommended M.2 SSD for putting in a M.2 motherboard slot?
There's two kinds of M.2 SSDs, SATA and PCIE. Motherboards support either, but you have to read the manual to figure out which.
-With SATA, generally anything that also gets sold as a 2.5" drive like the Samsung 850 Evo or Sandisk X400.
-With PCIE, there isn't a whole lot in terms of that form factor, plus not enough people here have bought those drives to recommend.

Motherboards that support both SATA and PCIE in a single M.2 slot also exist, but that's rare.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The IGPU on that i5 is not going to cut it on anything but low settings, but I assume that's what she's playing on.

I'd suggest this if you can find it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-h50-desktop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/4322500.p?skuId=4322500

-World of Warcraft is largely single threaded, so an i3 will perform better most of the time than a lower-end i5. The IGPU isn't much to write home about though, but the i5 you linked to isn't much better in that regard. AMD chips currently have rear end for single threaded performance, which will make quite a few things choppy.
-I'd suggest upgrading the RAM to 8gb using another 4gb DDR3-1600 stick (~$25)
-You can put a 750ti in it, which costs 100 dollars online.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magnetic North posted:

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, that suggested computer isn't available at any Best Buy near me. It is on Amazon, so I'll have to check with her if she wants to do that.

There's a bunch of PCs named H50, but that particular model is https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Deskt...+H50+Desktop+i3

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

Almost all the z170 boards still support it. All the bad things they said they would do to make the systems already doing it stop working never happened
yeah everyone except ECS (lol) put back in the bclk feature because there's no reason to disallow it since it's now separated from the pcie bus

this wouldn't be the first time where everyone farted on intel and decided to allow overclocking on things that "shouldn't" be overclocked, see: haswell

they (at least asrock and msi) even backported the feature to c23x boards :w00t:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, they kind of don't *have* to do anything to make the systems stop working, because BCLK/FSB overclocking already will demonstrably shorten a system's lifespan. If you're going to up a system's BCLK don't go over ~105Mhz.
The only things BCLK changes in skylake now are cpu clock multiplier and RAM speed multiplier, same as Ivy Bridge-E

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the 1060 is over twice as fast as the 960 yet costs only 32% more, let that sink in for a minute.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

d0s posted:

So is POST info totally gone? I was pretty surprised when I turned on my new PC and disabled "Full screen logo" in the BIOS that my boot consisted entirely of the (eternal) American Megatrends logo and "press del to enter setup", followed instantly by Windows booting. It feels weird for my computer to not show me how much memory I have and what drives are installed, I'm not complaining just wondering when/why this happened and if it applies to all motherboards now or just my Gigabyte because I find poo poo like that interesting for some reason :spergin:

right as your pc powers on, repeatedly jam f2/f1/del/whatever key your motherboard manual says it is to go to bios menu, find options called "fast boot" and "full screen logo" and turn them off

you will return to a list of drives installed and the memory counter that happens instantly

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Handily enough, catalyst control center is no longer a concern, and crimson's actually kind of cool (although the UI design could be a bit better).
pretty much this

geforce experience these days is something left uninstalled unless you want to be caught by phantom codebugs from automatic driver updates that cause your PC to hardcrash upon boot and the only reason it happens was because you had a maxwell card that had that particular set of bugs and there's no rhyme or reason why other than you rolled a natural 1 out of 20

The problem doesn't seem to happen on the 1000 series but knock on wood there

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ufarn posted:

What would a cheap CPU upgrade for this be:

Reposting from Intel thread, there's no way around this except for a change in platform, albeit one that's on its way out.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qsjGkT

-You don't care about overclocking, so I went with a Xeon and H97.
-Haswell Xeons work on consumer boards because Intel didn't think you should have to pay 100 dollars for hyperthreading back then.
-You should still be able to use your old RAM, SSD, GPU.
-Feel free to ignore the cooler suggestion, especially if your Noctua is under warranty.
-I suggest changing over your PSU as well -- especially if it's five or so years old. I suggest an EVGA G2, or GS if that's 20% cheaper than the equivalent G2 (GS chosen because of concurrent rebate)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 10, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

d0s posted:

Should I flip my top 80mm exhaust fan to become an intake or is that generally a bad idea since heat rises? Right now I have only one intake (front) and two exhausts (top and rear)
Heat rises...in completely passive systems. Air flow overrides that for the most part, with the exception of weird poo poo like 45c ambient temperature, in which case you have problems more pressing than CPU cooling. Any way you can get a direct intake to the CPU cooler is ideal, regardless of direction.

(make sure not to put the case on the floor and get coffee spilled on it :downsgun:)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Crucial got a bad rap for a while but their RAM was always solid for me this decade. Plus they're always priced abnormally low because Micron is always in the red

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the problem with very low end cards is that you have no idea if they'd actually drive 3 displays and there's no rhyme or reason whether they would or not, For example, the GT 710 does support 3 displays, while the GT 720 and the DDR3 version of the GT 730 do not. The standard R7 240 supports 3 displays at a time but one of them MUST be connected by Display Port and it doesn't behave well with a converter cable.

The situation gets even weirder if you have more than one VGA-only monitor, and nearly every card still manufactured only has one analog-usable port and the cards that I can think of that have more than one (the 5450/6450) cannot support 3 displays.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 23, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was on Fry's looking at various deals and I see this combo:
http://www.frys.com/product/8989963?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

i3-6300 with GA-B85M-DS3H-A

Is the i3-6300 only produced as 1151 socket CPU? Because it seems when I try to find that motherboard all I see are 1150 sockets.
Yeah those are not supposed to be paired together at all. Given the price of the combo they're trying to find a way to sell the massive stock of B85s they have but have no Haswell chips :downs:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

i helped my brother build a 6600k system this weekend. For overclocking I set a 47 multiplier with no voltage increase. I ran prime 95 for 8 hours and it reported no issues and it stayed under 70c at 4.7ghz

Is that a fairly normal result for a 6600k? I dont remember it ever being so easy
that's 1 multiplier more than the average result for a 6600k

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

La Fin Du Mondale posted:

Apologies if this has come up before, but should I expect there to be many Black Friday/Cyber Monday discounts on components appropriate for a ~$1200 gaming PC?
Likely to be SSDs. MX300 because Micron are desperate all the time, x400 because it's the best kept secret of good SSDs, and one-hour 850 EVO flash sales.

If you're lucky you might find someone desperately trying to dump Maxwell Titans and 980tis.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ignoranus posted:

If I move to a 1060 or 1070, would I further benefit from moving up from the i5 to an i7? I'm guessing the answer is 100% "Depends on your use case/budget" but I was wondering if there's a consensus/common guideline for it.
1060: No
1070: It's bottlenecked by border cases that overclocking a 4690k/6600k won't already take care of.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Geop posted:

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I'll probably swing a 650, even if it winds up being excessive :v:
Power supplies degrade over time, 650 will last a year longer than a 550 if you manage to keep it for 7 years or so.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rynn posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a CPU/mobo combo that's about $300 or less (give or take some) that I can overclock? I know I'll need a Z series mobo. Right now I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 and an AMD Phenom II 955 that works fine but is slowly becoming obsolete (as in, won't reach minimum system requirements for Doom which was on sale on Steam, and I couldn't play the goddamn thing :argh:). I have a GTX 660 and 8GB of DDR3, and a decent PSU so I don't think I'll need any other parts besides decent cooling (Going with a Corsair Hydro like I have now).
If you're willing to futz about with various BIOS versions and BCLK overclocking, you can get by with a lower end (cheaper) Asrock or MSI (list of boards) z170 board and an i3-6100, and still have room for memory on the budget.

If you're not so adventurous, there are z170 boards that are around $75 to go with the $220 i5-6600K, but you'll still need new memory.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You should be able to use your Windows 7 system builder's license in windows 10 IIRC

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sashimi posted:

I know the thread pretty much exclusively recommends the Samsung 850 Evo and the Sandisk X400 SSDs, but right now their 500GB 2.5" variants are listed at well over $200 in Canada. What would be a good alternative 2.5" SSD that doesn't have a ridiculously inflated price?
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/2VWrxr/crucial-mx300-525gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct525mx300ssd1

Crucial support pothole notwithstanding

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And before anyone thinks to ask - all three M.2 slots share the same four PCIe 3.0 lanes, so they'll be competing for ~3GB/sec of bandwidth.
*board manufacturers keep doing dumb poo poo like linking m.2 slots to the same lanes, making sata-only/pcie-only slots*

"why hasn't m.2 caught on yet"

:sigh: such a good form factor, fistfucked by trying to stuff 7 standards into it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can someone give me an example of the "good" type of Molex-to-SATA splitter that isn't going to burn my PC down? On Amazon/eBay?
I've used Cable Matters/Nippon Labs with no issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...Y18YWGFRAWQ1QDZ

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

teagone posted:

I would replace those Cable Matters adapters with any of the ones that I linked above. Even if you aren't having issues with them, there's pretty damning evidence online that those type of adapters (where the wires are directly molded into the SATA connector part) can catch fire somewhere down the line. Might not be today, or even a couple years later, but the odds of it happening are significantly higher than if you were to buy the type where the connector cuts into the wire.
Ah, I didn't know that, thanks :sweatdrop:

I must have gone through a border case, but it's nice to minimize risk where you find it. So if I'm understanding correctly, the connectors that are perpendicular to the wire are the good ones?

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108794-24-Inch-15-Pin-Female/dp/B009GULFJ0/ I'm wondering if these are fine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's just changing the mobo that counts now

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

750w is as high as you'd normally go even with really power hungry GPUs, you wouldn't have to worry about spiking unless you were doing some strange poo poo like 1.5v vcore under liquid gas cooling, and at that point you'd be running something more expensive than an 860w PSU.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

jonathan posted:

Yikes. Can you or anyone else suggest a microATX case that is somewhat console sized and can accomodate a full size GPU (30+cm) ?

Or failing that should I do Mini ITX and a "mini" GTX 1070 ?
all xbone-style cases pretty much need mini-itx, there is no such thing for a micro atx board due to the placement of the common GPU PCIe slot not being amenable for riser card shenanigans

you don't have to go for a mini gtx 1070 if you go with a silverstone raven rvz-02/ML08 or node 202

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The R5 is the same thing but better.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's okay for a "i need to render anything the least bit strenuous" card, while not efficient price/performance wise it is the cheapest card that will play everything without looking at the used market

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dr. Stab posted:

The 1300x also doesn't come with a cooler, which makes more of a difference here than with the high end ryzens. On the other hand, you're less likely to pair it with an overclocking board, so the base frequncy boost matters more here.
It does, actually, like the 1500x.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Frogfingers posted:

Thanks for the reply, all of this is awesome. Unfortunately, I'm running an OEM version of W7, so I don't know if that's applicable to me.
It is

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

A great comparison here from Digital Foundry of the Ryzen 1600/1600X vs i5-7600K.

It'll probably make anyone thinking about an i5 look elsewhere.
Yeah it might be worth updating the OP about this :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wormil posted:

Yeah but how are the Ryzen motherboards? I haven't built an AMD system for a long time, since before they bought ATI, because the chipsets were terrible. I got tired of niggling conflicts between 3rd parties and playing driver tag trying to keep them working. Everyone blaming everyone else and no one fixing the problems. Not to mention RMA's on those boards were high. Bad memories of that time make me want to stick with intel.
Asus and Asrock are generally very good for AMD.

That sort of thing was also common among Intel boards during that era. People don't have very fond experiences with the vast majority of P67 boards.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

androo posted:

Not a bad idea. I was under impression the current line would have better sales around this time in the cycle.

Also, what has happened with RAM in the last 5 years? Has RAM improved in any meaningful way recently? Or did it just get more expensive?
the i7-7700k is about to be replaced by a loving i3 though time will tell if the 4core i3 will have i3 prices

there was a shortage of supply for a couple months because hynix hosed up an entire warehouse of wafers, then there was extreme demand for it and people still bought it by the palletful even at the slightly inflated prices so that's what they're being sold at now

it's also worth noting that the ultracheap 2014-2015 ram prices were actually much lower than average

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fleshweasel posted:

Do small discrepancies between motherboard standoffs matter?
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The V2 to V1 conversion kit/bios mod for 6 core coffee lakes is going to cause some real good :yum: