Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oh man, thank you for updating this thread! As others have said, everything you gentlegoons here do is above and beyond what is expected of a forum. You're all magnificent and thank you for your advice and knowledge!

So, I've come here asking for advice on a future build:

I have a birthday coming up and my wife has decided that my gift is going to be a new computer! I've been using laptops for the past 8 years now, so everything in the budget I give you is going to have to cover whatever ancillary I'll need (monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc etc). The wife has given me 2k to play with, but the stipulation is that she wants to go through the local Microcenter to do the actual building of the PC since she'd like to wrap up the finished product. We don't need to include the construction of the PC into the budget, but if possible I'd like to lean heavily in Microcenter's favor for parts since I know that they do some pretty swanky deals every now and again.

So, here goes!

What country are you in? USA

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? This computer will be used solely for gaming. I don't plan on doing anything with VR for at least a few years, but my hope is that I'll be able to max out something like Total War: Warhammer at full resolution with all of the bells and whistles. I mainly play Paradox games, however, so I am thinking that whatever system can play a game like Warhammer at full settings can also handle something like Stellaris or EU4 at max speed/map size for a few centuries.

What's your budget? I'd like to spend 2,000 dollars (or close to it) on a computer, but that budget has to figure in the OS, Monitor, speakers, and the Keyboard/Mouse

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I'd be happy with 1980x1080 resolution, but ideally I'd like a monitor that can best take advantage of whatever graphics card is suggested for me.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Here is a nice build that should fit your needs, all of the parts are available from Micro Center:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: EVGA SuperSC 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($144.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($140.00)
Monitor: Asus MX259H 60Hz 25.0" Monitor ($179.96 @ Micro Center)
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Speakers: Logitech Z623 200W 2.1ch Speakers ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1997.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-02 14:32 EDT-0400

For some reason Windows 10 was not showing up as available from them but I assumed $140 since that is the normal price for an OEM Pro key, you could save a little by switching down to the Home version if you want.

Thanks so much for the prompt response, I appreciate it! My only question is: do you think that motherboard would be able to support whatever video card comes out a year or two from now if I change my mind and decide I want to try out VR? I plan on passing on it for now since none of the games/tech demos appeal to me outside of Elite Dangerous, and I don't want to be paying 800 bucks to play one computer game. But by 2017 or 2018 maybe my tune will change!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I've never really been into wanting to build a computer at the same time as new GPUs are being released. How long does it typically take for new cards to be readily available in the retail world? Could I walk into a bestbuy or an log onto amazon and buy a 1080 within the week it is released to to the public, or are we looking at this being something that realistically won't be on the shelves for a month or more after its official release?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Amazon has started to advertise their second annual July sale. Was there anything worth buying, computer part wise, last year? I remember hearing that the sale itself was lame, but never hurts to ask!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hello everybody!

Way back on the first page I asked for a build for a computer, it's my first build in about 10 odd years and I'll likely be taking this list to the local Microcenter and going with them for my parts (and their warranties).

Anyways, with the blessing of you good strangers I'm thinking of walking through those doors and giving them this list to play with. I primarily play Overwatch, Total War: Warhammer and every Paradox game under the sun (all games which are CPU intensive, or so I'm told). I'll likely be doing VR stuff as well, once games and not glorified tech demos are being produced for them.

Anyways, here goes! I don't want to spend much over 2500, monitor included:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($106.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: EVGA SuperSC 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($160.58 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($699.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($140.00)
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27.0" 144Hz Monitor ($659.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2555.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-20 22:22 EDT-0400

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 21, 2016

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

BurritoJustice posted:

Go for a XB271HU over the PG278Q. It's a newer model with an IPS screen instead of a TN one, which is a hell of a lot nicer. Also make sure to go for a Fractal Design R5 instead of the R4, it's newer and has noticeable improvements in many areas. Other than that, you're good to go. You're spending more than the average in a few areas, but it's obviously in budget and you'll end up with a hell of a PC :)

Thanks so much for your advice (and thanks everyone else, too)!

When I first asked for this build I was pointed towards Windows 10 Pro, and I noticed that it has been suggested in other builds here as well. I intend on buying it, but out of curiosity what is the benefit of going Pro over Home when it comes to building a computer?

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is there any good reason to buy a Samsung 950 ssd over an 850? I know they exist but I don't see them recommended often in this thread.

Also, if I plan on playing a lot of games that are CPU limited (like any of those map games from paradox) does it make sense to go with an i7 6700k or is an i5 6600k still the recommended processor in that case?