Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

TalonDemonKing posted:

I'll just plug the wall cable into the motherboard, no big deal.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech PRO-SAM17 Fanless CPU Cooler ($44.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Essentials 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Mac Mall)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GT 630 2GB Video Card ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $508.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-06 14:42 EDT-0400

Is currently what I'm looking at for a home PC. This is theoretical, mind -- As apart of my internship, I've been building theoretical computers.
Unfortunately, while I can throw darts at a board and get pretty lucky, I still don't know what exactly I'm supposed to be looking for in a "Home Theater PC under 1000$".

Don't want to cover anything specific since everything about this is wrong, just get a NUC it will be faster, more silent and a lot smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

TalonDemonKing posted:

I just had someone look it over in person and it seems that I've critically misunderstood what a home theater PC is. :suicide:

Maybe you could tell us what you'd like to use it for? 9 times out of 10 the best solution would be a small box like a NUC, or even an android box like the nvidia shield or something as cheap as a raspberry pi loaded with OpenELEC or whatever the cool kids do nowadays.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

What in your opinion is crazy about people not wanting their computing habits tracked and phoned home?

That we live in 2016 and that's just how the world works, accept it.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
To people recommending 6600k's and overclocking I just want to point out that no gains are guaranteed. My 6600k does 4.0 GHz, barely because it sometimes fails during boot. So I'm running stock speeds now.

I even sold my AIO watercooler because of this dud :(

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Just as a minor thing, but the computer build that I have should be able to connect up to the internet as usual anyway, right?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus VC239H 60Hz 23.0" Monitor

Here are the stats on it.

Yeah just plug in your ethernet cable, if you need to connect via wifi you need an adapter, USB og PCI-E.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

Are there any good alternatives as far as mini-ITX cases go? I'm looking for low noise, filtered intake fans, and the ability to fit a GTX 1070 or 1080 plus a Cooler Master 212-X CPU cooler (158mm high).

I was considering the Fractal R5, but it't be nice to have something smaller.

I have a FD Core 500, filters everywhere lots of space for GPU and cooler, i think up to 160mm. Just mind the length of you ATX PSU. Overall very happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

That Old Ganon posted:

I forgot to ask about a wireless card. Which would you guys suggest?

Depends on your wireless network, I've only heard good things about TP-Link archer series. But personally I would always use an ethernet cable, and powerline if that fails.