Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
What are the chances we will actually be able to pre-order the 1080 thing at MSRP and get it shipped May 27th?

How real are these launch dates?

I'm just building a new machine with a 980ti (nabbed one for $545), still within my return window for another week or so and fortunately have not clipped the UPC for rebate yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
Hey thread!

So I was doing a build and I'm dumb and put the wrong screw in the motherboard and it got kinda stuck in there. I had to use some pilers to remove it.

I MAY have damaged this super super small component. It's so little I can't really tell. Sorry the picture sucks. I can barely even see it with my eyes.

I haven't had a chance to do a system install or anything, but the board POSTs fine and detects everything and everything seems OK so far.

If I could find a super high-res image of this mobo (GA-Z170-UD5) I could probably compare and maybe tell if I really did smash it or not. Google image isn't giving me much; I need much higher res than the stuff I'm finding.

What is this thing? A little diode? How worried should I be? Any way to find out what subsystem it may be part of? Sounds like a pain in the rear end to return the board, especially since I already did the build and the heatsink install and all that. And I'm not even sure if I broke it. But I don't want to be setting myself up for random problems down the road either. :sigh:

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
6700K Overclocking annoyance:

One core (it's always thread #8) is failing with a rounding error @ 4.5 GHz and 4.4 GHz in only a couple hours of prime95, while the other cores were set for 12-25 hours with no errors :(

All temps at or below 80 C too (max=75-80, with the early failure core being the 75!).

Any tips?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

75C is very high for the 6700k, also prime95 is also a very tough test for an OC so I'm not surprised it's giving you problems. You should take a look at the Overclock.net Skylake OCing thread, make sure to read through the stress testing section.

Oh yeah, this is p95 28.9 on small FFT, basically the hottest thing possible. Still frustrating to have all my cores survive at 4.4 -and- 4.5 for 12+ hours except one consistently dying 2-3 hours in.

That thread looks great, thanks!

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

How do you not run into issues with number of available USB ports when gaming on an ITX board? Just going down to mATX was an issue for me. I'm heavier on peripherals than most (TrackIR, separate joystick and throttle, headset, Xbox and steam controllers, mouse, keyboard, wireless keyboard for when I sit on the couch and steam to the TV, etc) but even when I cut out the non-essentials I couldn't make it work.

I'd love to go mITX when I eventually upgrade to Skylake, but I've currently maxed out my ATX's slots and I doubt an ITX is going to have room for expansion cards. Are there any specialty boards in the smaller form factors that support peripheral whoring? More USB slots in lieu of graphics outputs, or something?

Just get some USB hubs! They work great for all that stuff.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I bought a Noctua D15S. This thing blots out the sky and puts even the original xbox and gaben to shame. It's screaming bad idea to me since it's like attaching a dumbell to the side of the motherboard, but I got a good deal and it has good reviews :cheers:

The Noctua mounting system is really good and secure.

I just installed the regular D15 and it's pretty awesome. Not difficult to install like other large coolers I've used, and doesn't feel like it's going anywhere!

Also - on my mobo (Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5), I can still access the m.2 and RAM slots no problem (for the latter I do have to detach the 2nd fan, but that's no big deal!). I also just managed to get a Firewire card in the top PCIe slot (1x), though I did put some electrical tape to cover the exposed contacts on the top of the card to be safe. The metal on the heatsink JUST misses the card, but it is pretty close.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Ninkobei posted:

he was able to bend it back to normal with his fingers to make it look like nothing had happened at all. i didnt think to snap a picture, but this interweb picture is pretty accurate. Lots of people do it I guess

Wow, that's a good PSA.

I'm not sure if I did the screws on mine evenly or not... could have easily been me :o: