Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Getting closer to pulling the trigger... Feedback extremely welcomed.

Geography: Northern Vermont. Not a huge tech scene (no microcenter, or big repair shops)

Case is an NCase M1.
Also planning to grab an arctic accelero 3 for the 1080 and use 2 of the a12's to suck the heat out the bottom (other 120 is side intake in front of cooler).
Use case is work/gaming. Work is self contained on a VM (I mainly do sql coding/support - vm is currently using 2 vcpu cores and 8gb on my 6700k), so I see no problems doing exactly the same here.

Desires are dual M.2 (970 for boot, hp for storage). I was looking at asus x470/b450 I, but finding someone to flash is proving to be problematic. Asus x570 isn't out, and Buildzoid likes the one below. Works for me.
I would like ddr4 3600, but I haven't found anything that really stands out with good timings that isn't approaching $500. I could be missing something though.
Noctua says updated cpu compatibility in a few weeks, but I think the u9S should be good here.

Budget is "Let's not spend all the money", so if I can keep it all below $2k, I'm happy. I have monitors, case and 1080ti already.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($247.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($278.50 @ OutletPC)
Storage: HP - EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($113.08 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A9 PWM 46.44 CFM 92 mm Fan ($16.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan
Total: $1515.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-17 13:54 EDT-0400

Semi relatedly - anyone want to buy my current rig when I'm done migrating to the new one? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Stickman posted:

Looks good! If you're interested in saving money, those CL14 are going to be an extremely minor performance upgrade (if any) for the $135 your paying over a CL18/19 3600 kit. Timings will give you a small amount of extra performance, but not $100+ dollars worth.

Same for the 970 Evo - that 2TB 950 you have in the second slot actually outperforms it, for cheaper, and with double the capacity. Just get another one of those or save $170 and get a 1TB ex920 (the performance difference will be unnoticeable). If you really want to buy Samsung, at least upgrade to the updated version: the 970 Evo Plus (also cheaper!)

The Seasonic sgx 650W has a bit more capacity, is a bit quieter under load, and comes with a 10-year instead of 7-year warranty. It's also currently $15 more expensive, though, so it might not be worth the upgrade!

E: I'm sure someone would want to for a reasonable price - put it up on SAMart!

I like the idea of the extra headroom the 3200 kit gives, but not the worst thought... I'll think on it some more.

As far as the drives, I was looking at the random read/write since the samsung would serve as boot drive. Still.. They're close enough it's marginal. Maybe I'll do 2x ex950s and have the extra storage space. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I already have the PSU - came with the case I bought from a friend. It'll do for the time being, and if it causes problems, I can go bigger later.

Thanks! Great feedback.

edit:

Llamadeus posted:

If noise is a real concern I think the logical upgrade is the SF600 Platinum: it's more expensive than either but way quieter according to Cybenetics:

Corsair SF600 Platinum: 26-27 dBA @ 480W
Seasonic SGX-650: 40.8 dBA @ 455W

See above. I had also heard somewhere that the Seasonic also had coil whine? something to think about when I get there.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Stickman posted:

That's a good point! The Platinum is only $10 more than the Seasonic right now so it's much better value.

You're welcome! I didn't see that in reviews, but I do see anecdotal reports of coil whine (also with the sf600 gold, though). If whatever you end up with has noticeable whine I'd try an RMA.

I think my buddy had that issue, RMA'ed it and moved to a different system in the end (he has a bit of ADD in terms of buying tech/cars).

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

Ok got all my parts in. Is there any particular guide people like I can reference while assembling this thing? It’s been about 5 years since I’ve built a PC lol.

If you've built before, I can't imagine it has changed a whole lot. But hey, never hurts, right?

Edit: generic amd build guide. Does not include procedure to flash bios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FBzL7JLifw

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 18, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

kcer posted:

in the context of GPUs, is it a bit dumb to shoehorn a x570 for pci 4.0 into a build for someone who isn't a bleeding edge enthusiast? am i right in thinking there's only a couple cards than can currently saturate pci 3.0 at x8?

i think x470 is a bit more sensible, anything else to consider?

There's something to be said about ease of flashing new bios or out of the box preparedness for zen2. Specifically in the itx world, no boards have cpu-less flash on any x470/b450 boards, and not all the manufacturers have released boards with a bios revision capable of first time boot for zen2 as well. In my case, I'll jump to x570 just for ease of install since I'm migrating from intel to amd.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Looking it up recently the https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/nHxbt6/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite Is a very solid board with VRM's if you want a basic board to stick your components into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ZvlK3jAvM

It's pretty competitively priced and just for a good out of the box experience and quality VRM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ

Buildzoid has some great dissections of all the X570 stacks, his main standouts are the gigabyte Elite (Value for money) and then the ASrock Taichi if you want something aroudn the 300 Dollars/Pounds price point as it has a good feature set

I had chosen the x570-I for those reasons. Just had to put my build on hold due to other circumstances.
Thanks!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Spacedad posted:

What's people's opinions of this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/yTkdnQ

I'm using it right now as a starting point of reference for making an artist/animator/streaming/gaming build.

There's quite a bit I already know I would change, but what would people here do to make it better.

That case, or something different? If you’re going itx /m-atx, IMO, start with your case, and build from there. For a 3900x, figure out the best cooler that’s compatible with the case and that motherboard and then work the compromises from there. FYI, the gigabyte cpu socket placement is different (higher) than others and can affect cooler fitment.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Spacedad posted:

Probably something different. What other motherboards and cases would you suggest.

Gigabyte is probably best itx board for the $$, just different socket placement can be an issue (see below). On a 3900x in an itx, you’ll definitely want an aftermarket cooler, IMO.

Lian Li just released an itx case which looks pretty good and sounds like it can handle larger air coolers. Paul’s hardware on YT just did an update of the build with one.

Ncase m1 can fit a 240 AIO with not too much extra work as well. I’m going to be building in a last gen m1 (v6 just started shipping) soon, but still figuring out the cooler situation for a 3700x (wanted to go air, with a noctua c14s, but the gigabyte board fouls the placement within the case.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Did you plug into your video card and not the integrated output of the motherboard? You should have something trigger the monitor on as it posts and then doesn't find an os.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Necessary to clear cmos because of failure to post/detect hardware previously?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Nice work!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Buildzoid's at it again. This time helping/nerding out with memory choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ7HB4ouLTU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I went straight to 2x16, since I'm in the itx realm. $230 for 32gb of tightly timed (3200 cl14) b-die is not bad.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

You definitely don’t need a $400 motherboard for a bare bones 3600. MSI b450 tomahawk MAX (the max is important) will save a few pennies and supports zen2 out of the box.

Maybe take a few of the saved bucks and get a 3600x?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

8. Help me understand Intel chipsets and CPUs!

This might be worth expanding upon the differences between AMD/Intel.