Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Probably a dumb question but here goes.

I currently have 2 4g sticks of ddr3 1333 but I was thinking about adding more. Im not sure I can fit 2 more sticks due to my cooler interfering. Is it ok or even worth it to add a 3rd stick and run 12mb?

Current rig:

MOBO - ASUS P8Z77-V LX
CPU - I5 3570K
COOLER - HYPER 212
Case - Corsair Carbide 400r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Looking to upgrade my rig for gaming.

Current Rig:
I5 3570k
8GB DDR3 1333
GTX 970

I've got everything figured out except the CPU. Are the Ryzen 1600's comparable to an i5 7600k or is the 7600k still a better chip? I don't stream and play everything from Battlefield to 8bit indy games.

At this point I don't know if I should add another 8gb of ram, get a 1080 and wait for the next gen of intel chips or go full rebuild.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A 6GB 1060 would be a side-grade, so a 1070 would be ideal, and so long as you're overclocking your CPU, you're not missing out on much.

For RAM, get this, since it's *ridiculously* under-priced for the moment, and the boosted speed will help minimum frame rates: https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-FURY-2x8GB-1866MHz/dp/B00J8E8Y5C

It's not a really good time to do a full system upgrade since we're about 2-3 months away from better/newer options being available in the form of Kaby-X/Skylake-X, and the first spate of Coffee Lake CPUs (no one knows if they'll debut the six-core chip at launch).

I'm going to get a barely used gtx 1080 for a smoking good deal, not a 1060.

I think I'm on board with you though. I think my rig can last another year or two especially if I jump to a 1080.

Thank you for your reply.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

SpinyNorman867 posted:

It looks like the budget conscious gaming computer I built back in 2010 or so is finally on its last legs. I'm really happy with how much use I've gotten from it for the money (even after a couple of upgrades), and would like to hold off on a new build until later this year. I'm still happy with it for basic stuff, but it is noticeably struggling with anything beyond browsing, Netflix, and Google Drive.

My current system, roughly:
Athlon II X3 440
8 GB DDR3 Ram
Radeon HD 7850
Intel 330 SSD

I've been given a hand-me-down Alienware that seems to be an improvement in every way, but I'm not sure how much. I've compared all the parts I can on the AnandTech bench database, and the only thing I can think of that my computer has going for it vs the Alienware is the SSD.

The Alienware:
Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4 gh
16 gigs DDR3
A pair of Nvidia 440s in SLI (I think, will have to double check when I can)
2 1-tb hard drives

So here's my question: Is it worth my while to drop my current SSD into the Alienware? Is the video card a candidate for this, too? Or would that be more hassle than it's worth? I'm guessing this would require a Windows reinstall, which is fine. My needs aren't super demanding, but it might be nice to play some games with my friends this summer on a nicer system. I'm thinking Overwatch, maybe Civ and PUBG.

The video card is your weak link here.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm thinking about building a new rig for audio recording/production. Currently running an i5 3570k. I really just need suggestions on mobo/cpu. I'd prefer micro atx, I don't need any kind of oddball inputs like thunderbolt or firewire

I'm curious if anyone here has a music production pc running Ryzen?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

DAWs really like low latency and single-threaded performance, so Ryzen is not really the way to go there. Second-gen Ryzen improves latency a bit but it's still on par with Intel at best, and often significantly worse. That said, it may still be good enough to get your workload done, but you are leaving performance on the table.

Thank you, so an i7-8700 is still the way to go. I don't think $50 is enough savings to convince me to drop down to a 7700.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

So I think I'll probably just go with an 8700k chip. Need some help with a mobo. I'll only 1 run 1 gpu, plan on having 2 SSD and 2 magnetic drives and would prefer something mATX. I don't plan on overclocking to the moon and dont need wifi or bluetooth. I probably only need 5 or 6 USB ports max.

Whats the best bang for the buck mobo that fits my needs?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Getting ready to build a new rig. Im purchasing one of the dell 1440 144hz gsync monitors and will be using a 1080ti. I already know i wont be hitting 144hz on most games but thats ok.

I keep going back and forth on cpu setup. Is the 2600x and a b450 tomahawk a decent choice? My secondary thought is it would be easy to upgrade to Ryzen 2 in a year or two.

Would I be better off going with an 8600k?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

B-Mac posted:

As much as I recommend ryzen you should probably go with intel if high refresh rate gaming is your main concern and it’s within your budget.

I don't exepect to go over 144 on any chip really. 144 is mainly for going over 60 regulary.

Do you think a lot more games will start utilizing more cores and threads in the near future?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

One of the major appeals of the 2600x is the price to be honest, and the ability to upgrade to zen2 on the same board.

I'm coming from an i5 3570k w/ 8g of ddr3 1333 and a gtx 970, so even a 2600x will blow it away.

Pricewise if I went intel I'd be looking at an 8400 or possibly an 8600k. An 8700k is out of my range.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Anyone see anything glaring wrong with this build? I'm going to shop for a used GPU and hope to catch this monitor on sale.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rMcQhy

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Cougar - MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My edit: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DMQjbX

The M.2 MX500 was $5 cheaper than the 2.5", and if you ask "why the blingy RAM," it's because it's the only set I could find that was on the Gigabyte board's QVL for not much more than the set you'd chosen. Also, the Fractal Focus G is a better case, and it also comes in other colors - white, red, blue, and black. Also changed your PSU to a 650W unit with way more connections and a 12 year warranty.

Is the Gigabyte board better than the B450 Tomahawk? It's been a while but Gigabyte boards have left a real bad taste in my mouth. I hate to say that when I haven't had an experience with them in over a decade though so I guess that is unfair.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Looks solid. Why that case? Never heard of it.

Cheap, no frills, open for air cooling. My case sits on the floor next to my desk so I don't need clear side panels and RBG and poo poo.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I chose it because it was an X470 board that was not much more expensive than the B450 you'd chosen. The X series boards will age better (and are generally made with better components), but the cheapest ASRock (who make the best Ryzen boards, period) one was ~$30 more expensive than the B450.

Thank you. I chose the B450 Tomahawk because I've watched a few videos and read some stuff talking about it has good vrm and it had all the ports and stuff I'd need. I'm not going to pretend to say I undetstand all of the vrm and power phase talk lol.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

I have the NZXT H200I and it's a fantastic Mini ITX case.

I've been debating using the non i case. Did you use an atx or sfx psu?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

ATX, however, I did really poor research into power supplies and if I had known what an SFX Power Supply was I would gone with SFX instead.

I was wondering if atx cables would be too long and make cable mgmt a mess. It is a big itx case, I wonder if sfx cables are long enough.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

The ATX cables are fine. My question is what kind of cpu cooler are you using? Most ITX boards only have one USB 2 header. Most AIOs use that header for pump/fan control. I had to get a USB hub for the inside and that's really what made cable management a loving nightmare.

The stock 2600x cooler and an asrock itx board. I'm starting to thing maybe this is too much of a pain and I should just go with a b450 mortar and a define c mini. I dont think the define is only like 2 in taller and an in longer front to back.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Ram prices do seem to be dropping. But for a 2600 rig with a 1070ti at 1080p, is it worth spending more on bdie, and what real world gaming difference would it make?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Is an 8700 non k still worth buying for gaming 1080p on a 144hz monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

How does this build look. I picked this mobo for VRM/Power Delivery hoping it will work well for next gen Ryzen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB CERBERUS Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $653.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-05 15:14 EST-0500