Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

In terms of picking out a CPU fan, what is something that is "whisper" quiet, that is not water cooled? I'm looking at the Noctua NH-D15, but in terms of fitting it into a Corsair 250D; I don't know if something like that is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any differences between a micro atx and a mini itx aside from the typical missing ram slot and less expansion slots?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for suggestions for a heat-sink / fans for a micro-ATX build, gonna be using a i7-7700. I want it to be as quiet as possible. Any suggestions?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 3, 2017

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Are the included fans on the Corsair H100i V2 loud? If I wanted the quietest case possible, would it make sense to change these to something else or is the difference negligible?

Also, the case that I'm looking at the Corsair Obsidian 250D, seems to support a 200m fan in the front. Would it be beneficial to upgrade it to a 200mm fan, or should I stick with the stock included 140mm?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a difference between these two GPUs?

I assume the one with the dual fans have better cooling?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gYk7m8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gYk7m8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.46 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.39 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($274.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1097.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-04 16:40 EDT-0400

Looks like I've made a few decisions, I haven't been able to decide one RAM. Any suggestions, or anything I should replace with something else at this point? My CPU I can't change because it's coming from a friend's "old" computer. Which he is going to let me "borrow" for a bit.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You've got an unlocked K-SKUed processor on a board that won't overclock. Look into an 8700K and Z370 in the same form factor (ASRock makes it). It might cost a little more and be a little more difficult to put your hands on, but what you've got up there is a dead-end build.

Also, your PSU might be rated 80+ Gold, but it's universally regarded as a bad gaming rig PSU. Look into the Corsair RMx line or the EVGA G3s. As for RAM, almost every decision now is expensive, but thread favorites include the Corsair LPX series and G.Skill's offerings. With a Z370 you'll want DDR4-3000, since the price scales higher the faster the clocks.

Would this be a good mobo here? I also don't plan to ever overclock the unit.

I'll pick another PSU.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, that'll be fine - but keep in mind you'll HAVE to get an 8th gen chip - 7th gen chips won't work in a Z370. The plus of going with a Z370 is it gives you the option years from now to drop in a cheaper 8700K or potentially an 8900K eight-core (we don't know if this will be possible yet). It also enables you to use faster RAM, whereas the H-series (which don't exist yet for the 8th gens) are locked at specific RAM speeds (2400Mhz for the 200 motherboards, and 2666Mhz for the upcoming consumer 300 boards).

And there's not going to be a huge price difference between that CXM and the RMx or G3 - usually it's spot on around those prices with the almost everpresent rebates. Plus the RMx and G3 are fully-modular, and the RMx comes with a 10y warranty while the G3 comes with 7y up to the 650W SKU.

Thanks for the suggestions. Although, I'm going to have to stick with the CPU, because I'm gonna be saving like $200 (since my friend is basically giving that to me). I'm basically looking for a Mini-ITX with wi-fi built in. I think those are literally my only requirements.

I didn't know RAM was that expensive now a days, I guess when I was building my older computer it was DDR3.

I decided to pick up the G3.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I understand - just remember that if you're getting a 7700K for a substantial discount, you might as well get the Z270 version of that ASRock ITX board. Just because you aren't intending on overclocking doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice (and potentially useful) to have the *ability* to down the line.

Thanks for your suggestions! You and everyone has been super helpful. Gonna pick this here.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like I'm ready to pull the trigger. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making any stupid mistakes. I'm not going to overclock anytime soon.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/p9fWNN
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/p9fWNN/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.46 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($194.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($289.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1317.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-08 02:35 EST-0500

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Chikimiki posted:

Two quick points:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

edit: ignore this if you're actually using an old 7700k, you could mark things as "already purchased" for less confusion

Arivia posted:

I think you're the guy who was getting a hand me down 7700k, so I won't beat that drum like everyone else is. But do get a Corsair RMx power supply, which is newer and better than the CSM.

Yeah, sorry about that I am the guy who was getting a 7700k from a friend.

If I were to swap out the H100i for a Noctua system, which fan system would you guys recommend? I understand that the failure rates for the water pump are low, it's just something I don't want to deal with. Any suggestions?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

This seems like a pretty good deal for a 1060, you get an additional $30 off too so $239.99. Here.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Llamadeus posted:

It's basically nothing compared to the commonly used double heatsink designs:

Jesus. What is that beast called?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ram for a decent price is pretty hard to find. According to the thread, there are a lot of constraints from manufacturers. I’m hoping something stupid cheap will pop up on NewEgg soon.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a difference between the three different variations of the M.2 I see on Newegg? M.2, M.2 2280, M.2 2242?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

2280/2242 is referring to dimensions - I believe its mm wide x mm long. The ones labeled just "M.2" are probably 2280, it's most common, but could be anything.

Oh cool. I can just pick up a M.2 for my desktop then.

Is there really a noticeable difference in terms of read / write speeds for M.2? I see a M.2 with the same capacity, but the difference in read / write speeds makes a difference of $150. What's a good speed I should be aiming for?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

$70 for a RM650X. Seems like a pretty good deal. Here.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I linked the RMX a page or back. I would take a look at that. This forum has suggested it a few times. The 650w is cheaper than the 550w.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What do you guys think of this MSI board here, compared to this ASRock here. I'm leaning towards the MSI because of the USB 3.1 ports and it's only ~$30 more after rebates.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Can someone suggest to me a cooler for my MITX build? I looked al literally all of the builds (with my case) on PC Part Picker and it seems that the Corsair H100i v2 and Corsair H100i are in the most builds. The Corsair H60 and Cryorig C7 are tied. I don't think I want to have to "deal" with water cooling so I'm leaning towards a fan cooler, but it doesn't seem a lot of people use Be Quiet! or Noctua coolers. Any suggestions?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

There is absolutely no way for anyone to answer that without knowing what case you have/are looking at.

Doh. I purchased a Corsair 250D. The MOBO I picked out is here.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Last you posted it, you had a 7700K listed - any reason it's not an 8700K?

The 7700K is a hand me down from a friend. So I wanted to save some bucks.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 25, 2017

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's the older version, of the best Z370 mITX mobo on the market and the Z370 version is what I've been passively looking at if I ever had to rebuild my system. I plan these things out in advance...

That's a fantastic Z270 motherboard, and that looks like a relatively large case so you should have options in terms of going with an AIO or an air cooler. Do you have a preference here?

AIOs have no maintenance but if you pierce them there is the potential for them to leak. I flat-out refuse to buy refurbished AIOs - the warranty is important here because the companies carry a quiet guarantee that they will fix components that your faulty AIO damages, as long as you did not pierce it or something else stupid.

Truth is that an AIO is no quieter than something like a big Noctua tower cooler, nor cooler. It comes down to whether you're willing to have a 4-pound copper lever attached to your CPU, how much you're going to move it around, and whether you're willing to spend $125 for the privilege.

I'm pretty sure that I do not want a water-cooled unit, even though everyone seems to be using that with the same case I'm using. I just don't want to deal with the potential headaches that the water-cooled units can cause. I think I want to stick with an air cooler, but unsure of what specifics I need. But the H100i v2 is currently on sale on Newegg and Amazon for $85. What should I be looking at in terms of air cooling?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Looking to build a new PC. Primarily to be used for gaming (1080p 60 on Overwatch, Destiny 2, maybe a few future titles but less important) and likely a good amount of plex streaming. Having a case that doesn't look like a monstrosity and is smaller is important too as this will live in a living room.

Budget is as low as I can get with the performance I want. Would love to shave the price to around $800 but I get if it isn't possible. Didn't seem like it to me. Here's what I have so far. I'm willing to risk used parts but that stuff can be hard to find at reasonable prices.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.00)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($28.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: Asus - MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($279.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Aerocool - DS-Cube Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1019.73
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-27 01:35 EST-0500

The 7700K i get for a special price so I don't see sense in getting something lesser. I also have some older HDDs I can use to buffer out the small 250GB SSD, it's really just going to have whatever game or 2 I'm playing at that moment and windows. I already have a windows 10 key so no need for that either. The board is a Z170, but has USB flashback so it won't be an issue.

Thanks for whoever replies.

You basically have the exact same build as me. CPU, GPU, SSD. Your mobo was the same one that I was looking at, but I ended up gettin the Fatal1ty one. I was told to spurge for a better PSU, this is the one I ended up getting for around the same price as yours after the rebate. Here.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The thermal paste that comes pre installed on AIO units, are they any good? Or should you replace them with something "better"?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I did it guys. Just wanted to say thank you to this thread and the people who gave me a bunch of suggestions on what to pick up. I'm typing this on my new PC right now!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a computer speaker thread by any chance?

I own a pair of Logitech Z130 speakers and I really like them. They have enough bass and for something without a subwoofer they sound really good. I also own a pair of Logitech Z200, which I hate. They're more expensive than the Z130 and don't sound nearly as good, there is a lack of bass and they sound a bit tinny.

Any suggestions as to some desktop speakers that aren't going to cost me over $100? I would prefer not to have a subwoofer as it takes up more space (and I already have a nice HT set-up I use for music). The Bose Companion 2 looks like it's something up my alley, so does the Audioengine 2+ (but it's $250).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Nevermind!