Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Good job on the OP, peak debt :) The previous threads were consistently informative and helped me build multiple PCs over the years.

One suggestion, though: For the Anti-Virus section, can a note be added that most people don't need a paid anti-virus solution, and that if you're running any of the past few versions of Windows, you're totally fine with Windows Defender? It gets asked fairly often and there's still this common misconception that if you don't pay for an anti-virus program, your computer is going to be riddled with viruses when that really isn't the case at all. In some cases, it can actually give adverse results by doing stuff like refusing to let certain apps run when there's nothing wrong with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HMS Boromir posted:

For what it's worth, the 970 will run Doom at well over 60 FPS at 1080p ultra and get within spitting distance of holding a solid 60 at 1440p. Source.
I can confirm this. I'm currently running Doom at 1920x1200 with everything on Ultra on an MSI 970 Golden Edition and I don't think I've gotten less than 70FPS once during the few hours I've played of it. Typically running at 80 or higher. The game performs like a dream.

The only thing is I can't set some of the advanced options to Nightmare quality because that requires at least 5GB of VRAM, but it looks fantastic on Ultra so I'm not concerned about that at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So the 1070...those are going to be available on the 10th, correct? Are they not even gonna be listed until then?

I'm thinking about replacing my 970 with one and selling my 970 to recoup some of the cost, but they aren't even listed on Newegg yet, and if that date I've heard is true, they come out at the end of this week :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw an article earlier saying AMD's Ryzen CPUs give the i5s a run for their money and instantly my reaction was "lol, yeah loving right", but is there any truth to that at all? I feel like I'd be hearing more about it if AMD suddenly became a formidable competitor in the CPU space again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SSDs are most definitely worth the extra money, but 1TB is probably overkill. Also 120 is too small. I had one of those for a while and I was constantly having to decide what should stay and what should go. Get a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO. It's just the right amount of space and only costs $150 so the price is right for a good SSD: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1508965383&sr=1-4

Also Samsung EVO drives are much more reliable than other brands.

If you really need that much more space to store stuff, get a regular platter hard drive to use as a secondary drive or a portable hard drive.

With the advent of streaming music services and cloud storage, though, 500GB has been plenty for me for a good long while.

But make sure you install your OS to the SSD because it loads way faster than on a traditional hard drive.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 25, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I should really sell my 1070 now while the demand's high, huh? I don't really do any PC gaming anymore. Haven't for a while. For games I've just been using my PS4 Pro exclusively.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah for sure, you'll probably never see a higher resale value than right now.
Is there anything super valuable I'd lose by stepping down from a 1070 to whatever integrated thing is on my i5-4670 if I'm not using it for gaming? Like can an integrated GPU handle everything else that's less intensive just fine? I haven't used one in ages.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arivia posted:

You’d lose 4K DRM streaming on like Netflix if that’s important to you. And any Photoshop or other media creation acceleration if that’s relevant to you. Otherwise nah, integrated graphics are plenty for day to day computer use.
4K Netflix doesn't matter to me, but what in Photoshop specifically would I not be able to do? That and Lightroom are the only things I use that would be GPU-bound, I think. And I don't use those all the time, just occasionally.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Palladium posted:

I'm surprised by how little GPU demanding games I touched on my 1070 over the past 1.5 years while I'm increasingly watching all those let's play videos on my PC.

I think I logged more gaming hours on my phones/3DS/Switch than on my PC too.
I just have no interest in PUBG or indie Steam games or anything PC-specific anymore. I think the last few PC games I really played a lot of were Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Mafia 3, and those were multiplatform anyway. I don't see a reason to own a gaming PC anymore. It's just a neverending money sink for not much benefit, I feel. Like yeah, Doom looked and ran amazing on my PC, but it did on my PS4 Pro too.

I was hoping I could sell my 1070 for enough to get myself a laptop, or contribute a good bit of the way towards one at least. I don't need anything expensive, but I don't feel the need to own a desktop either considering all I really use my PC for anymore is social media, Spotify, watching YouTube videos/movies and the occasional photo editing/music production.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looked up my model 1070 (the EVGA 8GB Superclocked 08G-P4-6173-KB) and it's going for as high as $1,500 :trumppop:

Listed mine on Craigslist for $700. Hopefully I can sell it at that price. There barely seem to be any available and some of the ones that are (that I saw on eBay) are going for around that.

If I can get rid of it at that price, that'll cover a lot of the cost of this 17" i7 16GB RAM laptop I'm looking at.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rexxed posted:

Inflated RAM prices, mostly.
Is that why when I looked up prices for 32GB SDRAM to upgrade whatever laptop I get to, it was all $350+? That seemed way expensive. When I bought my 16GB DDR3 kit a couple years ago, I remember it being wayyyyyyyyyyy less. 16 is half as much memory as 32, obviously, but I don't remember it being anywhere near that much more.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Help an idiot.

I have purchased all parts for this:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mr2dNN

With the sole exception of the gpu.

Is the GTX 1070 mini by zotac worth a poo poo? I want 1080p gaming at max settings and speedy frames!

What's good/bad about the mini? The regular non mini is 350 dollars more due to shortages.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The issue isn't "what's good and bad about the mini," it's "please don't buy a Zotac GPU if you can avoid it."

They use the cheapest components and have the worst North American support network of pretty much any of the NA GPU outlets. That's why Zotac is always the cheapest.

I don't remember if this is frowned upon or not, but buy my EVGA 1070 (non-mini)!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849247

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VelociBacon posted:

Have you guys heard of bookmarks? They're like tabs except you can organize them and only open them when you need.
Yeah for real lol. You guys who keep a ton of tabs open at once are insane. Just bookmark the page, type the first few letters of the site and hit enter to open it when you need it. It's really not that hard. There's no reason to constantly demand that much from your PC.

Just saw this in my YouTube recommendations and thought it was relevant to this discussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnuNs_Nu46Q

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ghostpilot posted:

:siren: :derp: And, whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE OVERPOWERED BRAND PCs SOLD BY WALMART!. :supaburn: :siren:
You may have already - and correctly - assumed that it was a real sham. The reality is so much worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTni-Vfrf9c
Christ, I heard about these things from Linus Tech Tips and they sounded bad but I didn't know how bad :cripes: lmao

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

buglord posted:

US Goons: Got x2 4GB DDR4 3000Mhz sticks if anyone wants.

I ask you split shipping with me ($4 on your end), and that you don’t flip the sticks. I’d like a goon who directly needs them or is building a PC to nab ‘em.

thanks pumpkins

e: Corsair vengeance lpx
Could I upgrade my laptop with these? I've got 16GB of DDR4 but sometimes that's really not enough for the music production I do and that makes me sad :smith:

My laptop is an Acer Aspire V 17 Nitro Black Edition.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FilthyImp posted:

Unless the specs I was reading are wrong, while your laptop can take the form factor, you only have 2 banks so you'd be going from 16Gb to 8Gb. Does't really sound like a viable upgrade path.

You'll need to get two 16Gb sticks to max out the ram on that thing.

If it doesn't work out for Rage and no one else wants them, i'll take them to start the summer build I was planning.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If these are desktop DIMMs (and seeing as the guy says they're Corsair LPX I believe they are), your laptop uses SO-DIMMs.

They *do* make 2x16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM kits now, just make sure your laptop supports them before you buy them.
Aww rats, I really need more than 16GB. Thanks for the offer though, buglord!

I'll have to see if I can get one of those 2x16 SO-DIMM kits. Thanks, FilthyImp & BIG HEADLINE! Reason just rewrote their whole audio engine to better handle VST performance, and it does for the most part, but some VSTs still make my laptop cry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, right now a 2x16GB 2666 DDR4 SO-DIMM kit is running ~$140-150 on Newegg.

Brand doesn't really matter, but I'd still recommend going with Corsair or Crucial simply for better warranty support.
Yeah, I checked on Amazon and found a Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB 2666 DDR4 SO-DIMM kit for $154 and added it to my wish list for whenever I can get around to buying that! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure your system uses DDR4-2400 (Crucial lists that, which is why I'm going with it), so that'll save you an extra $5-10 - there's no need to buy anything over what your system supports since it won't 'overclock.' If the 2666 stuff is cheaper, go with that - it'll just clock itself down to your system's max memory speed automatically.
Oh sweet, thanks for the tip! Found the same Corsair Vengeance in a 2400 configuration.