Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
My 5 and a half year old PC is showing its age so I'm planning on building a new PC.

Something like 6700k + H110i, Intel 750 SSD 1.2 TB (no other drives) Ripjaw V 3000mhz CL15 ram or something like that. For now I'll use a spare 680 I have, (it would be intresting to see what fps I gain while using the same GPU) And a good Corsair or XFX power supply that's fully modular 'cos it's gotta be tidy!

I'm wondering if it'll be worth waiting for an EVGA 1080 Ti Hybrid or just get the 1080 Hybrid now.

For the motherboard I can't decide between the Asus Deluxe, the ASRock OC Formula, or the Maximus Hero VIII.

from the motherboard thread that's locked posted:

Gigabyte and ASRock are two manufacturers known for cheaping out on power traces

So... Asus Deluxe vs Hero VIII? :v: Or is ASRock OCF good?

[edit] Does all that sound like a good mix? I'm interested mainly in which of those motherboards I should get.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm a little confused about Corsair's SP120 LED's vs SP140 LED's. Going by their website, the SP120 LED's not only have more airflow, more static pressure, but are ALSO quieter than the SP140 LED's.

Wut.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-sp120-led-blue-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan

(SP120 LED is their middle ground between the Performance and Quiet Edition versions. Slightly less than the Performance version, but waaay quieter. Unfortunately, they loose the rubber mounts and colour changing rings)

Now I'm not suggesting putting the SP120 LED's in front of a 140mm radiator, I'm sure the increased surface area will help regardless of the lower performance 140mm fan, but as an air intake fan on the side/front of a case they normally allow for both 120mm and 140mm. If the 120mm version really does perform better in every category, I'm confused as to why someone would use the SP140 LED over the SP120 LED.

And yes I'm aware that you're meant to use AF120/AF140's for intakes, but power leads, HDD cages etc add a lot of resistance, sometimes the SP is a better option than AF in those situations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

How the gently caress do I cancel an order from Corsair? My order has been 'on hold, pending review' for 7 days now.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

The max temp is 95c I think? It should be alright.

Also the F12 fan is more for radiators, for moving unrestricted air look at the NF-S12A

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I was thinking about buying an EK waterblock for my MSI 1080 ti but it looked so fidderly installing it that I've half a mind to just sell my MSI 1080 ti and buy the 2080 Seahawk EK X with the water block preinstalled. Same performance but better at ray tracing.

Then the Super's became a thing and now I don't know if I should wait to see if they make a Seahawk EK 2070 Super/2080 Super

Also, am I right in thinking 4x140mm fans + 560mm radiator at 1000 rpm cool better and quieter than 2x140mm fans + 280mm radiator at 2000 rpm? What about 6x140mm fans at 500 rpm? Trying to find a case/tower that supports dual SR2 420mm has been surprisingly difficult.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Can I rant a little? Why are there so many videos saying not to buy 4x4 gig of ram and go for 8x2 gigs of ram as occupying all 4 slots removes any possibility of upgrading later?

They...they know the ram cam be removed, right? You can take it back out, sell it, and put in new ram, It's not locked in forever...

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I like the look of Aorus, but I always hear people talking bad about Gigabyte. Do they make good motherboards / GPU's?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

orange juche posted:

6 months is not very long at all.

Ugh. Now it feels like my new computer build has a deadline. I'm planning swapping to windows 10 for my new PC, Soon™

Well Soon™ is now and I still can't decide on a case! Seems the The Tower 900 is going to be too tall for my desk, ( I only have 29 inch between lower and upper shelf) plus I haven't seen a single build where someone didn't take a dremel to it to get parts to fit. Shame too, I liked the dual power supply idea. I could run one to a second water pump for easier filling / redundancy. (Also the motherboard/chipset/VRM's M.2's etc would get no air flow as the only fan for it is a single one right at the top of the case which sounds dumb)

Now I'm thinking Lian-Li V3000. Does anyone know if there's any common known issues with that case?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 11, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

The Thermaltake Sync, it says it can handle upto 9 fans but then says it's limited to 5 Trio's due to a 5 amp limit and the Trio's need 1.03A per fan so I'd need to buy 2 Sync's, right?
But I also hear that what happens on channel 1 of controller 1, is copied to channel 1 of controller 2 so it's not really 9 independent control??

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Listerine posted:

Are there any issues with filling multiple M.2 slots on a mobo? I would assume not- what would be the point of having more than one then- but I remember reading some little thing when I upgraded 4 months ago but I can't remember what it was.

There's a deal on a 1TB M.2 2280 drive and I was thinking of putting it in a second slot on my Asrock Taichi X399 board.

I think each M.2 slot you use, uses up a SATA port and maybe pcie lanes?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

poisonpill posted:

Any good Prime Day deals? I don’t see anything worth jumping on.

Check out the Corsair LL120 single without controller, and samsung 970 evo 1TB (non plus)

[edit] The m.2 might contain surprise mechanics, people have reported playing cards, nerf darts etc

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

DiggityDoink posted:

Amazon workers are striking during Prime Day so gently caress buying from them.

That's my suggestion.

Have they tried turning the roombas off and on again?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Lightningproof posted:

Installing a Wraith Prism on a Ryzen CPU. Am I loving up with the retention bracket or is it really this much of a bitch to install? The side with the lever (that is in the 'unlock' position) hooks over easy, but the lever-less side absolutely refuses to clip on even when I apply what feels like a dangerous amount of strength. Have I messed up installing it somehow or is it really just a matter of brute force?

Ung. I REALLY hate having to use brute force on such delicate components. This is what installing a 2500k sounds like:

(turn volume up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyLGUzryNQE

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Gee, RAM prices seem to be picking up.

Had 2x16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200/CL16 at € 148,73 in my shopping basket for quite some time, they were on back order and expected to be available on 7/23. Rumors kept popping up that RAM prices could increase short term due to some trade shenanigans, so I put in the order last night despite the item being on back order (and got confirmation already).

Price today? € 173,90. Checked with other vendors, about the same incrase across the board (EU). Something's up?

Prices seem good to me but I only checked 2.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

While browsing different pumps / pump res combos / wondering if I should get a 2nd pump for redundancy I came across a very interesting thread about series vs parallel. It took me ages trying to work out his path. He claimed it gets him higher flow and lower temps. (flow is the blue led on lower right)

Parallel

Series

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm stuck on what pump to buy. I think I want a dual D5 for quietness/redundancy but they look...so...bleh

I mean, compare these two pumps/res photos

The Revo Dual looks like something I'd hide away in my boiler cupboard.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I like the look of the Heatkiller Tube 200. Two of these side by side would look great!

skylined! posted:

What’s your need for such redundancy?

In case one stops working plus I heard running 2 at 50% is quieter than running 1 at 100%. Don't know if that bit is true but I like the idea of a backup.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

My 1TB 970 Evo m.2 drive was delivered. Oh my god it's so tiny! (62% off on prime day, didn't know if I'd actually get delivered the product or a deck of playing cards like some people in the reviews did)

My dual 420mm SR-2 was also delivered. Oh my god they're huge! Unfortunately I seem to be having trouble getting a Thermaltake Core X9 that I'm planning on using.

skylined! posted:

Also if your pump fails your system is going to overheat and turn itself off. I'd almost rather have one pump and know definitively if it died then have a second pump that may mask the problem.

If my PC won't boot, how would I order another pump :v:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Finally decided on what tower. I went with the Lian Li PC-V3000 and I got a cablemods vertical gpu bracket too.
For the CPU block I went with EK's Velocity DRGB in Nickel + Acetal. The light effect is more subtle, just a ring around the edge. I didn't like the whole thing being plexi. I was very tempted to get their Z390 Aorus Master monoblock but didn't in the end due to the same reason.

I was looking for a case that had external drive bays, but fine, you win, case designers. I'll use an external optical drive. SOME OF US STILL USE DISCS YOU KNOW!?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I think I wanna go with all fittings and no bends. It sounds like it needs less skill and honestly I think it looks better too. Is there a site that can help calculate how many I need? EK has one but doesn't take into account no bends or series vs parallel.

I'm guessing around 20?

pump/res #1 x2
pump/res #2 x2
gpu x2
cpu x2
rad #1 x2
rad #2 x2

Plus T junction for draining at the bottom and a second T junction at the top for the Dr Drop pressure tester I ordered. (I plan leak test with air before testing with water)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm confused, are you guys talking about an AIO?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

What's peoples opinion on those AC to molex adapter things to power pumps?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Does anyone know if I can plug the DRGB of my EK CPU waterblock + a DRGB LED strip into the Thermaltake Sync Controller and still have it work via Gigabyte's RGB Fusion? I only have 2 5v DRGB headers and both are going to be taken up by 2 Sync Controllers. (it says sata only provides enough amps for 4-5 fans, even though it's a 9 fan controller)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Guess that'll teach me to check who I'm buying from.

UKTechStore. Sounds local, right?

Almost a whole month. From loving Canada.

Oh hey an email!

I'm building a new pc as fast as I can, jeez!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Is one of the DRGB headers 5v 3 pin and one 12v 4 pin?

I spent literally 8 HOURS flipping between different RGB methods the other day.
I plan on using 10 fans and 2 to 3 DLED strips and while Thermaltake's Ring Duo/Trio look best to me, their controller can only handle 4 to 5 with no way of chaining more controllers.

I did look at XSPC's 8 way DRGB hub + 8 way PWM hub but I'm not sure if it just clones channel 1 to channel 2-8 which would mean I couldn't have neat patterns.
Currently I plan on using Corsair's Commander Pro because it seems infinitely expandable.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

And you downloaded this information...yes?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Huh, Overclockers UK has a sale on. Could have saved myself some money on my EK waterblock.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/offers/red-hot-sale?p=1

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

So this is kinda what I'm thinking.

My question is, if the SATA connectors are limited to 5ish amps, is that for each individual sata connector on the 6 pin to 4 sata power connector cable? (theoretical 20 amps on a PCIE 6 pin)

[edit] PCIE 6 pin is 12 volt right? 12v * 20a would be 240 watts. Don't 6 pins only draw 75 watts? That would mean 6.25 amps for the entire cable?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 1, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

[edit] ^^ that too

dele posted:

I don't post a lot ever, HeyGuys

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kw7hnH

USA
Gaming (mmo, fps)
Screen: at work so I don't remember, it's probably 1680×1050 or the other one, 1440x900. But subject to change (buy a better monitor in future?)

Edit: these parts clock in at $1250, within the $1k-$1.5k I expected when picking parts
Graphics: mmos tend to struggle when there's lots of players in one spot, I'd like my games to look at least pretty good but run well under stress

Already owned (transferring over):
Corsair K55 RGB gaming kb
Logitech daedalus mouse
Sata and external storage drives

Thanks very much for checking it out. I plan to buy & build soon :)

Isn't a 9600k cheaper than a 8600k? (Probably have to use a Z390 too I think?)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Oh man! This:

Completely wrong now! Apparently Corsair are making a new box called the Lighting Node Core that both powers the fans, and provides power for RGB, as well as a new version of the SP120/SP140 that has addressable RGB with icue. Didn't see them before, they new?

Puddin posted:

To be honest, if your using that case and aren't removing the shrouding at the bottom to keep the power supply seperate, the fans at the bottom aren't necessary. The three fans at the front and top are going to give a ton of airflow through that case.

I'm watercooling.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I still haven't decided on what fittings to use. I like the look of Phanteks' Glacier stuff, I'm not a fan of rounded bulbous shapes.

ie, EK vs Phanteks

However, while the EK ones are just brass, the Phanteks ones are:

quote:

The fitting is made of brass and the union nut is made of aluminum.

The transfer nuts are made of aluminum and for sealing two rubber rings on each side.
https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/PHANTEKS-Glacier-Rotary-Hard-Tube-Fitting-16mm-90-degrees-G14-black-rotatable_65114.html
https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/PHANTEKS-Glacier-Hard-Tube-Adapter-2x-16mm-90-degrees-black_65110.html

I assume no coolant comes in contact with the aluminum, right?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Using highly advanced 3d modeling (cutting and pasting in photoshop, 1 pixel = 1 mm) I've made a mockup of my new PC. The case I did want had the 2 radiators next to each other making plumbing easy.
The Lian Li PC-V3000 though, is going to be interesting. I could do 2 loops, or somehow connect the top and bottom rad...

Broose posted:

Does anyone have any real experience with case fans?
I'm going with a Fractal Design Meshify C ATX and want to fill the front with two 140mm fans. Lot of options though and I want to focus on keeping noise as low as possible everywhere since the case isn't focused on that.

Right now I'm looking at Corsair ML140, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan (2-Pack) which sound nifty and people say are silent, but others are also saying its loud? So I don't know what to believe. Also nice is that this two pack is like two for the price of one at the moment.
Second choice is some Noctua NF-A14 PWM, 4-Pin Premium Quiet Cooling Fan (140mm, Brown) Which also has rave reviews, but I've honestly no idea what is overpriced or not.

But I'm really after some experienced opinions on what to get. Doesn't have to either of these two I've posted, it is just what I've found after about an hour of searching and reading reviews.

Corsair's ML's, LL's, SP's are all good fans. I wish I could find more info on their new SP120/140 Pro assignable RGB's
Noctua fans are the colour of literal poo poo and are still very highly rated, that's how good they are.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 5, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Kilazar posted:

All my parts came in except my video card. It's been a looooong time since I built a PC so I have a quick question. I'm building a 9900k, and my mobo has a 4pin and an 8pin ATX power reciever. My undersatnding is for the 9900k I need both of these plugged in. But my seasonic didn't come with a 4pin connector. Do i just use one of the pcie power connectors into the 4pin even though they are more than 4pin?

Or do I just use the 8pin alone?

This is my mobo
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145091?Item=N82E16813145091

PCIE 4 pin isn't the same as EPS 4 pin, I believe.

Does your power supply come with dual 8 pin? Most are actually 4+4 connected together.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Kilazar posted:

Shouldn't my power supply have come with both EPS connectors?

*edit*
It looks like it came with 4+4 :/. So I need to buy another 4+4 for seasonic and just use that?

What seasonic do you have?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

So many tubing options! I could go over there, or over here, to the left, to the right, it's crazy! I wish there were more stuff on grabCAD. For such a large case the Lian Li PC-V3000 is surprisingly easy to fill up.

Single loop in series

Single loop in parallel. I like the idea but I don't see the ports for the GPU and CPU lining up.

Dual loop. Colors don't matter as I'm most likely going for clear to allow the DRGB's to shine through.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

For my 90 degree bends mid path, I can't seem to find any of these in 16mm

Am I meant to use a F-F 90 with 2 end fittings to do the same thing? Wouldn't it look weird going from thick end fitting, to the elbow, to another thick end fitting?

[edit] Bitspower look really nice but are literally 3 times the price of Barrow

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 8, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm too scared to open up the case again.

Probably for the best. As a former engineer, the amount of times I heard ".....alright....I don't know what I did... but it's working... so no one touch anything!"

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Here I am trying to avoid settling on a single color theme but god drat if black chrome and royal blue don't look loving spiffy as hell

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Can you find some gold stuff to stick in it? Black, blue and gold would be very cool, I think.

Annoyingly I can only find 2 parts that have the black chrome / royal blue mix. The multi link fitting and the multi link 90. I can't find the 90 rotary.
Their True Brass looks good, even better when mixed with their Carbon Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Black and gold fittings with blue fluid?

One of the reasons I've been trying to avoid tying myself to a single color theme is I plan on using colorless liquid to let my DRGB reflect through them. Otherwise I'd go black chrome tubing.