Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What country are you in?
USA

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming + Internet Browsing

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
$200-$250

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
1920x1080. Better than they are now.

Here is my setup, I built this computer however many years ago and now I'm debating a whole new build or just a graphics card update.

AMD Phenom II X4 840 Proc @ 3.2GHz
Corsair 750-watt CMPSU-750TXV2
8GB RAM DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX460 1024 MB DDR5
ASUS Xonar DG Audio Card
Corsair Force SSD 120GB (Win 7 and Games)
Storage Drives

Bolded what I am thinking about upgrading. If I were to spend $200-250 on a better card would it be worth it for games like Overwatch, Battlefield series, etc? Will I just end up being bottlenecked by the processor? Should I just hold off until I decide to drop the dough on building an entirely new system?

TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Any recommendations for switching between two 3.5mm audio cables? I want to swap between headphones and my speakers without plugging in/out of the mobo port every time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ronya posted:

You could also consider using your front panel audio, then using the driver's software switch

Hmm I hadn't thought of that but I guess I'll give it a shot.

BIG HEADLINE - the monoprice option could work but I would end up with hearing some audio from my headphones when they aren't on my head since they don't have an off switch like my speakers. Not ideal but maybe.