Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Kazinsal posted:

I really want to know what you're planning on doing with 16 watercooled cores and a GPU from the mid-late 2000s. :allears:

Well, whatever it is, we know it needs all the CPU power and doesn't give a poo poo about GPU acceleration.

Those Xeons are actually a pretty great deal if you have something that's going to make use of the threads available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Touchfuzzy posted:

What's a good mATX case to pick for silence? I've been tossing around the Aerocool DS Cube, Cooler Master Silencio, the older Nanoxia DS4 and Fractal Design offering, and even though about getting the Enthoo Evolv or Prodigy M and some neoprene sheets, but before I pull the trigger, I figured I'd ask in here what people use or suggest.

I've built in both the Nanoxia DS4 and the Fractal Design Define Mini. I'd highly recommend the Define Mini.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Fractal Design Nano S is just an itx version of the R5.

It's closer to a Mini-ITX version of the Define S, seeing as they both lack the traditional drive cages.
But yeah, it's a nice miniature version of cases we're familiar with. It's not the smallest Mini-ITX case, but it's going to be easy to work in and quiet.
It's kind of a mystery that it took so long for it to exist, seeing as it follows a simple, winning formula.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 6, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Froist posted:

Urgh. I've recently been obsessing over the NCase M1 and now you link to that? I guess the M1's more conventional layout can take aftermarket coolers (and overclocking), where that looks like it only has clearance for stock..

You can fit some larger coolers in, but obviously not huge ones.

For example in this review they used a Cryorig C7, which fits.
Also here some way down the first post, you'll also see a few small coolers tested.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

esb posted:

Thinking about building a new pc but at this point i dont trust win10 i dont want a OS full of spyware and pre installed apps i dont need, read several guides on how to remove it all still i find poo poo i dont want.

I just need 3 things:

browser that can be installed with some adblocker
able to play all media files
can use a torrent program

is there any OS like that out there? free? :D
like 15 years ago i tried linux at school but it seemed a bit complicated to do even trivial stuff without some knowledge..

I'd try out Linux Mint if I were you..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

So I got the new DOOM, and even with everything low I only max around 50fps with vsync on. Would upgrading just my CPU or GPU give me a worthwhile performance boost, or is it time for a complete overhaul?

CPU: i5-4570 Haswell @3.20Ghz
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950
MoBo: MSI B85M-G43

Don't do anything yet; there's supposed to be a Vulkan renderer coming soon, which may help somewhat.
I'd wait for a handful of reviews with benchmarks to make a judgement call.
That said, it's not the best time to buy a midrange card, due to new and potentially compelling options coming onto the market in the next few months.

Edit: also, make sure you grabbed the very latest driver as well. (I personally clean up my drivers with DDU between installs too, I figure it can't hurt).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If I have a Fractal Design Define R5 and a couple 140mm noctua fans from the newegg sale recently, how would you recommend configuring them in the case? Probably going to overclock a 6700k and 1080.

I've done a little research, but it all seems like bro-science with people rationalizing negative, positive, and equal pressure. If there's something credible with some empirical results I could look at, that would be cool.

The reason for positive pressure is simply because you can have the intakes filtered, which then pushes clean air through the case. I'm sure negative pressure inside the case is also fine for cooling, but dust will be sucked through every last nook and cranny. I'd basically always err on the side of slightly more in than out, although I admit that sounds like the anecdotal stuff you didn't want to hear.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Techspot did a cool article on memory scaling up to 4000Mhz in a high end system. I've linked the gaming section there as I feel it's most relevant to the average user of this thread. Pretty incredibly, CPU intensive games showed improvements all the way up to 4000MHz. Definitely worth looking at 3000-3600MHz memory for people getting high end systems.

Yeah, ever since the Digital Foundry videos/articles, I've mentioned it in the thread before; and it is now a standard recommendation (if it's in your budget) to get Z170 boards and at least DDR4-3000.

It's kind of naughty that the H170 chipset doesn't support the faster RAM. This is surely one area AMD can compete in; not screwing over consumers by artificially limiting RAM clocks on a chipset.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Samara posted:

Hey PC parts thread, maybe you can help me out here. I am only getting like 40-50 FPS in Overwatch with the following specs

I5-3570k
GTX 970
8 GB RAM

Newest Nvidia drivers.

2560x1440 Resolution

Is the CPU the bottleneck ?

Unless you're cranking every setting to max (which isn't the best idea), I can't see how this setup would be underperforming in that game (according to the benchmarks I've been looking at).
That said, I also hope that 3570K has an overclock on it. If not, you should definitely do that anyway. 4.2GHz is a perfectly reasonable target for a 3570K for constant use.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

I was shopping for parts for a new VR-ready system (planning on getting the GTX1080 when the non-Founder's Edition boards start shipping), and I noticed a lot of motherboards are leaving off the S/PDIF output (which I've been using to get sound out of my PC, figuring even a modest stereo system is better at DAC than any motherboard). Are people just using HDMI for connecting PCs to stereo receivers these days?

Still plenty of boards with it. For example, ATX (price), mini-ITX (price).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

macnbc posted:

So just finished figuring out a build to replace my wife's PC. Interested in getting a sanity-check.

She's a moderate gamer so the approach that worked for us last time in 2010 was to make an enthusiast build and run it into the ground until it's barely meeting minimum specs. (Her previous one was a Bloomfield i7 with a GTX480.)
So the key for this one is to build something that'll hold up as long as possible, but can at least do current stuff on ultra settings at 1080p.

Here's the parts list I put together. How'd I do? Yeah, everything but the GPU is purchased but I can still cancel/return any problematic parts. Coolermaster Case and Western Digital HDD (for storage) are being reused.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $222.59)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $24.99)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $6.99)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $119.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $69.29)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $109.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $89.99)
Other: Nvidia EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ($379.99)
Total: $1023.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-31 07:55 EDT-0400

(We plan to do a low-mid grade OC to bring the CPU up to 4 - 4.4 GHz)

I'm sure others will also chime in, but that looks like a completely solid build. Nothing jumps out as being problematic. She's going to enjoy it for a long time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Still not worth it, though, if the 480 is anything like what's been shown.

So much this. I'd wait for the 480, then decide. If nothing else, the prices of 970s and 980s will likely tumble further.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Gray Matter posted:

Am I going to have significant cooling issues going from an ATX mid tower to a microatx or mini itx gaming build?

I was considering the Fractal Define Mini microatx case. As far as peripherals inside, it would be an RX 480 and 1 or 2 SSD's, no optical or disk drives, air-cooled.

A Define Mini will handle that kind of setup just fine.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Crap, forgot that. Yea, that is right about where I am looking. I also need some drives and such, here is the current state of my newegg cart:

I have a small (111GB) SSD currently that the OS and other software is on, but it is also 4ish years old. One of my HDs just died and the other is of a similar vintage and general sketchiness, so I want to replace them both. The idea being to keep the OS on the current drive, move my shameful amount of unfinished games on the new SSD, and dump all my media onto the 4tb drive. Realistically I could delete like 80% of the media and not miss it, but thus far I have not summoned up the willpower to sort it all. Right now my games folder is like 430GB, but I think that I could keep it to a 500BG limit without too much trouble, as there is a lot of stuff on there I dont need to keep installed or can be moved to the normal drive.

Do wait for radeon 480 to go on sale, it'll likely be faster than a 390, for less cash.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Nitramster posted:

Holy hell I got my Fractal Design Define S. I thought the S stood for small, haha, this thing is massive.

Nah, the S is for.. uh, lovely expandability (no drive cage), but excellent cooling. It's a normal atx case in terms of size.

If you wanted smaller, that's the role of the microATX Define Mini, and the mini-ITX Define Nano S.

Dimensions are available, there shouldn't be any surprises!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

New mobo means you're gonna have to re-install Windows.

Nah, not always.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Toebone posted:

Quoting myself because the new AMD cards are out and it seems they didn't quite live up to expectations. Should I still be looking at the 480, or would a $200-ish Nvidia card be just as good?

There's no $200 NVIDIA card that's as good as the 480 right now, but the 1060 is supposed to launch in a few weeks, and there will surely soon be custom 480s, which could be much more interesting than reference..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Speaking of that test, has anyone figured out how to implement the side fan intake in an R5 without totally compromising the filtration? Fractal Design didn't see fit to put a filter over there

Buy a Demciflex filter.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I'm looking at their website and this one seems to be the sensible choice. $6 and done, while their kit for the R5 is over $70 and doesn't seem to include any of those side panel squares, just the case-unique shapes.

Am I on the right track, has anyone else used these on an R5?

I've personally have a square 140mm Demciflex filter on the side of my Define R3. I sadly have the white mesh version, so it doesn't exactly blend in. The black one would be much better. It does the job of filtering, and doesn't fall off unless you pull on it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 30, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

buffbus posted:

These look really good but paying 3 times the cost of the filter for shipping is rough for those in the US.

Ouch. I hadn't gotten that far yet, I'm still trying to figure out if I should order ferrous or non-ferrous for the R5

Edit: Yep, $15 to ship to FL. That's nasty. I feel like at that point I may as well try one of these and just hit it with a heatgun to tighten the mesh, as the reviews suggest.

Is there something about the demciflex that makes them worth the premium?

Hah, drat, I didn't even know the company was in South Africa, I assumed it was American. I'm not from South Africa, I bought mine from a reseller on ebay (I live in Europe).

I don't know if they're worth so much, but from my research prior, I couldn't find many good aftermarket filters, and Demciflex always seemed to be a recommended brand. Especially in this easy to clean, magnetic format.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 30, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Don't know if it was mentioned in this thread (although it has been elsewhere), but the 480's power issue has been resolved through a driver update, so that's not something to be concerned with any longer. Now the only problem is the crappy stock cooler, so that's something that will of course be fixed with third party cards.

Oh, and people have found that a lot of the 4GB cards are actually 8GB cards, and can have the rest of the RAM unlocked through a BIOS flash.

The 480 is looking like a very good card for the money now, in my opinion, and supersedes any Geforce 960 or 970 recommendations. If for some reason you need an NVIDIA card at that price point, either second-hand cards, or wait for the 1060 reviews.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 9, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lovable Luciferian posted:

The 4670k I imagine is in the top 10 gaming cpus right now. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I have a hard time believing its the CPU that's the issue.

Right? I can't believe we're now talking about unlocked Haswell being outdated in the slightest. It isn't. We were even recommending Haswell builds well into the Skylake launch, especially the 4790K, which is still the highest stock clocked Intel chip, and there was that whole issue around Skylake and a PCIe bandwidth issue back then.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

this is absolutely not the case for XCOM 2. It will just not run on intel GPUs. THink sub-15 FPS a 1280x720 on the lowest of the low settings. It's just not playable.

It's not real-time, 15 fps sounds fine!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Can't quite tell if sarcastic or not, but real time or no it's really really really rough to play at low FPSes.

I wasn't entirely sure myself whether it was sarcastic when I posted it, so I guess that came through. That said, it would be annoying to play XCOM 2 like that, but if you had no option at all, you could still play the game.

vv Yeah, I really like XCOM 2, but for a game that looks as it does, I have no idea how they managed to make it perform like it does

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 11, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I'm defending the disadvantaged for no real raisin. :negative:

drat these dried fruit imposters.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 11, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Taima posted:

Does it matter what DDR4 I am getting for my 6600k?

Yeah, ideally 3000 (or higher). There have been a bunch of tests showing it actually can help.

Edit: Assuming you have a Z170 board, which because you bought an unlocked CPU, is a fairly safe assumption. But I had to make sure anyway

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

I'm gonna go pick up the parts I was recommended earlier in the thread but I was wondering if there's anything I should do beforehand since I've only built once and that seemed more straightforward.

I'm getting a SSD and taking the free Win10 upgrade, from what I read I should setup the SSD, reserve my copy, but then manually do a fresh install of 10 from USB? Never had more than one drive before, so what do I do with my old Win 7 install? Do I need to do anything to make sure my old poo poo still works and things point to the right place after I switch to the SSD?

Also I'm switching from an AMD to Nvidia gpu, anything to do there or will it just work?

All you need to do is download the Windows 10 installer onto a USB stick, boot from that, and use your Windows 7 serial key while you're installing 10 onto the new SSD. Nothing else. Just as long as you do it before the end of the month!

Since you're doing a fresh install, Windows won't know anything about your old graphics card, so that question is redundant.

As for making sure all your old poo poo works and things point to the right place, that one is a bit more vague and difficult to say anything about. You'll need to reinstall most software, but notably, Steam will work just fine, so you don't need to reinstall your games.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 22, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Extra posted:

I'm utterly confused. Are you saying an RX280 or is the R9 280X what you're talking about? The R9 280X benchmarks worse, clocks slower, doesn't have DX12 compatibility, has less RAM, and I'd have to deal with AMD's poo poo drivers.

I suppose you're of the opinion more cores = more performance? 3 GB really doesn't cut it on any game with high resolution textures.

He means the 480. My only suggestion would be to hold out for a few weeks until all the custom cooled 480s are out to choose from. If you don't care about a bit of fan noise, though, buy away.

RocketSurgeon posted:

If Im upgrading to the 6600k from a 2500k thats about 4 years old would I need to change out my seasonic 620w psu aswell? Its the same age as the 2500

It's often recommended here to go by the warranty period of the PSU, although for a fantastic quality one (like a high end Seasonic), you can probably go a bit longer.
4 years doesn't sound like a long time for a Seasonic PSU, honestly, so I wouldn't worry about it. That said, which model is it? They vary in warranty/quality a little.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Le0 posted:

Looking to make a new computer for my dad who does mainly photography stuff and internet browsing. I suspect this might be overkill but he'd like a good robust computer that can last him a long time.
He went to the shop who recommended the following:

Intel Core i7- 6700 – 3,40GHz – 8MB
Asus Z170A
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x8)16 GB – 2400MHz
Samsung 850 PRO – 256GB – SSD
WD Black – 3,5 - SATA 6Gb/s – 2TB
Asus DRW-24F1MT – DVD+RW
MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G – 4GB
Cooler Master Silencio 550
Corsair CX Series CX600M – 600 Watt
Cooler Master – ventilateur Hyper 212 Evo

Any comments?

It's a touch all over the place - locked CPU with a Z chipset board, 850 Pro is unnecessary, better to spend the money on a larger 850 Evo, the 960 4GB has never been great value, and it's completely pointless in a machine he will never game on, honestly he could stick with the on-CPU graphics. Finally, that PSU isn't the best quality.

Basically, your instinct was correct, some parts a little overkill, others aren't the best value. I also would say the overall build is way too large - an ATX case is overkill for most builds, let alone a non-gaming one. I'd be building a mini-ITX machine for this.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 23, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Le0 posted:

Yeah what I thought, I'm going to make the list myself so if you guys have any recommendations for a PC used for photography (photoshop etc...) and browsing internet it would be great.

Something like this, maybe:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€209.00 @ Amazon France)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€98.99 @ Amazon France)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€61.90 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case (€57.39 @ Amazon France)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€89.99 @ Amazon France)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer (€18.45 @ Amazon France)
Total: €535.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-23 15:39 CEST+0200

Obviously you also need an operating system.

If you need more HDD space, there's a surprising amount of room left in the case to add more drives. You could say I went a touch high-end with the PSU, but I believe it's important if you do want a robust system over the long term, and it's important in such a small case to get a modular PSU, in my opinion. The motherboard also has Wifi, which you might find useful in future if the room gets rearranged or whatever. Just a bonus.

Edit: sorry, I've made an error here, why the hell is the 850 Evo 500GB not showing up.
It's on Amazon.fr at €142.12. If you only need 250GB, feel free to go for the 850 Evo 250GB. You could get a Core i3 if you wanted to save even more money. I obviously don't know what your budget is, but everything you can build will be cheaper than the originally suggested build by the shop :D

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 23, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I took a guess at you being in France, I guess I wasn't quite on the money.
Luckily, I know of a Swiss price comparison website already, don't know if it helps to save you any cash; but what you've listed is going to be fine. That said, there are a few around here who aren't fans of Gigabyte boards, so I generally go for others.

CPU: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_418514.html
MB: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_432041.html
RAM: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_418941.html
SSD: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_387537.html
Case: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_419012.html
PSU: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_290760.html
DVD: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_274600.html

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 23, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Le0 posted:

Well you were close, I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland, right next to the border ;)

EDIT: Thanks Hallokitty, toppreise is perfect, how do you even know this website ?!
I'm going to order from Digitec cause they have free shipping, will this mobo be better than the Gigabyte? https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/asus-h170i-plus-d3-lga-1151-intel-h170-mini-itx-motherboards-5634195?tagIds=76

There's only one problem with that board - it uses DDR3 instead of DDR4, which isn't really a problem, but you'd have to swap out the RAM for some DDR3. It would also need to be DDR3L, low voltage stuff that will run <1.5V. So I figured I would stick with the newest DDR4 kit instead. Otherwise, I like ASUS boards myself.

Ah, about toppreise - I can't really remember myself when I heard about it, I think it was some time ago, when someone linked a cheap graphics card, and I kind of remembered it ever since (I don't live in Switzerland, so it's not much use to me).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

You don't need any kind of different RAM

Disagree. It's been shown that DDR4-3000 has benefits over 2133 that are comparable to a decent overclock. If you have a Z-chipset board that can support the faster RAM, you should definitely do it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Enigma posted:

I finished my build last night and in the process turned up short a header. The motherboard (ASRock B150M Pro4s) has only a single USB 2.0 header (supports two ports according to the spec), which I connected to the front chassis USB ports. The wifi card (Intel 7260HMWDTX1) apparently has bluetooth, which I didn't realize when I bought it. Bluetooth is enabled via a cable that runs from the wifi card to a USB 2.0 header. So it would appear that I have to choose between bluetooth or front panel USB 2.0. I don't really have a pressing need for Bluetooth, and worst case could just get a USB receiver, but it would be nice to have.

Are USB 2.0 splitter cables a thing? All I can find are PCI expansion slots that have a pin-out. That would work, but for space reasons I'd rather not add another expansion card, and I don't need more rear USB ports.

Not tried it myself, but I can't see any reason this wouldn't do the job: http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Pin-USB-H...FwAAOSwQupXVcB8

An actual USB hub that runs from a header and has headers as its output connections.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

My goal is to play GTA V and Fallout 4 at 60fps. I currently have a i5-2500k. My understanding from these threads was that the i5-2500k would not significantly bottleneck games, and that I could get a GTX 1070 and play modern titles without issue.

However, does this video prove that the i5-2500k can bottleneck current generation video games? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK0ReQPoiz0

I'd hate to drop money on an upgrade and be stuck at playing around 40fps.

He's running at 4× MSAA, high res shadows, extended draw distances maxxed out, 1.25× frame scaling, I imagine that's going to be bottlenecking on the GPU.

Yes, GTA V can benefit from a faster CPU, but I would wager at those settings, it's not going to make much difference.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 28, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Since I have the parts in and everything set up now I figured I'd do a follow up. I went from an AMD FX 8350 4.GHz overclocked to 4.3Ghz on a gigabyte board to an Intel core i5 6600k at 3.5 ghz on an Asus z170-a. I ran some in-game benchmark modes and a couple dedicated benchmarking tools because I like data.

<Lots of benchmarking results>

Interesting data, and although it hasn't made a huge difference over your old CPU, as you said, it's probably the 970 bottlenecking now, so you're ready for a GPU upgrade. Very, very interesting with regards to GTA V.

Edit: I think there must be something weird going on on your system, your old CPU should not be winning by any stretch of the imagination in GTA V.
Check here: http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html
.. and here: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/203800-rounding-up-gta-v-on-the-pc-how-do-amd-intel-and-nvidia-perform

In the first link it takes an FX-9590 (yes, the 220W motherboard destroyer) to even beat an i5-2500K at stock. They also show frequency scaling - Haswell at 2.5GHz is level with Piledriver at 4.5GHz in GTA V.
The second link shows the same picture with fewer tested CPUs. The "many cores" theory doesn't seem to check out either, because the 4790K showed a slight benefit from having Hyperthreading disabled.

Double edit: You didn't do something like put the graphics card in the very lowest slot, did you? That would only be running at PCIe3 2× by default. Just trying to consider what the problem might be.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 30, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

hamsystem posted:

To further expand on the wife's WoW computer: she's currently using a laptop with integrated graphics, and while it's mostly playable at low settings, she wants something to hook up to the TV and will run everything med-high. Wow is actually a little demanding at higher settings these days but we're trying to not spend a ton. I may end up going with a newer i3 and maybe a 960 since they're pretty cheap now. I still play on an i5 760 and a 560ti and it runs medium pretty ok. I'll be doing a new build around tax time probably.

960's not so great value (if you're in this market, I'd wait for the RX470), and I'd personally rather have the 2500K (with a small OC) than a newer i3. Some games will just flat out work better with 4 actual cores.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Khablam posted:

Why install every game on a much slower drive when you can install plenty onto an SSD and get better (quieter / faster) performance? If you're just going for some sort of nerd cred I can tell you no-one cares whether your games are installed or not.
If you have lovely internet and need to pre-load them by visiting a friend or relative, then at least consider sticking your likely-play games on the SSD.
It really does feel a lot better.

Most games don't really benefit from being on an SSD other than load times here and there. Fact is, modern games are loving huge, so if you have the money for a 1+TB SSD just for Steam, go nuts, but most people can't justify that at the current prices, so a decent (7200 RPM/Hybrid) hard drive is a much more palatable option.

I'd put certain games on the SSD, maybe MMOs and so on, because you can hit a lot of loading screens and it always helps to cut those down. But most single player games, I doubt you'd notice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Buffis posted:

Is it worth upgrading a
Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz

to something newer?
I bought this thing back in 2011 but the improvements since them seem pretty small in terms of GHz?

The above Digital Foundry article and accompanying videos are great, so I won't add to that, but I will say that as long as you are overclocked, and as long as you don't have some crazy high end card like a 1080 that you absolutely don't want to bottleneck, I would wait it out until Kaby Lake and Zen. I'm hoping (possibly in vain) that AMD will be able to deliver with Zen, which should also force Intel's hand on pricing. But that most likely means a wait into 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Unless you're using integrated graphics you're not going to notice one iota of difference with overclocked RAM.

Nah, according to all the Digital Foundry videos/articles I've seen of late, this is not true.
The general wisdom here is now that if you're running a Z170 board, you'd be simply throwing away performance (and wasting your investment in a Z170 chipset) if you had RAM slower than DDR4-3000.

vv They've found that the difference at running the CPU stock and having faster RAM can be better in some cases than overclocking the CPU and having slow RAM. Basically, there's no good rule of thumb for what performance to expect, which is why the advice has to simply be: If you have the money for a Z170 board, cough up for DDR4-3000 or better, the price difference is small.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 13, 2016