Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'd like to build a smaller profile/lower power consuming "desktop" computer for everyday office use (word, excel, email, etc). I was looking at Brix and NUC builds but I also need to be able to extend the users' desktops to 2 monitors (extended desktop, not mirrored). Brix and NUC generally use mini-display port and mini-HDMI out. I assume I can use them together for dual monitors? I don't think these computers use use display port 1.2 so daisy-chaining display port monitors doesn't seem possible.

I can't seem to find Brix or NUC cases on PCPartsPicker so I can't build something out to post. I like this deal from NewEgg which comes with 8GB of memory. I'd probably buy a 250GB internal SSD to go with it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102096&ignorebbr=1

What I like about Brix and NUC is the VESA mount option. I haven't used it before but it's really intriguing. Getting the computer up off the floor and limiting the cable profile is something that's important along with trying to limit power consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

I have a Broadwell NUC doing dual 1080p monitor using both ports, it works great. It can also do 4K although the HDMI port is limited to 30Hz. From the spec sheet the Broadwell and Skylake models both have HDMI 1.4a and DisplayPort 1.2.

Thanks, I must have overlooked that. Huge thanks, though. Hearing someone else is using it and that it works is the best endorsement. Have you had any issues with the bare bones components (obviously, hard drive and memory will be different)?