Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2

The Budokai Tenkaichi series (called the Sparking! series in Japan) is known for bringing the world of DBZ into 3d in a big way. The first game received pretty decent reception, and set the foundation for a unique game that made use of Dragon Ball Z's unique combat in the form of game mechanics. That game being Budokai Tenkaichi 2. The third may be better remembered for a variety of reasons, but for me, this is where the real show starts.

More about the game?

As said above, Budokai Tenkaichi 2 makes an attempt to translate DBZ's crazy combat into playable format, and the result is equally reflex-based and skill-based. There are a variety of options to choose from at every turn, and you need to make your choices within a split-second if you hope to come out on top. There's really nothing else quite like this in the world of fighting games, or action games in general for that matter. I consider Tenkaichi 2 to be an example of a licensed title done near-perfectly.

About this Let's Play in particular:

I'll be playing through the incredibly lengthy "Dragon Adventure" Story Mode, and having a good time talking about DBZ, why I love it so much, and why so many other people love it so much. I'll discuss the actual gameplay in an informative fashion, as well.

So, let's just kick back and have a blast.

Videos:

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

First of all, let me say you probably should've shown the opening to the game. Here, I'll link to it. It is...kind of a mess, honestly, lacking an unique song and just showing animation with very clunky models. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 would add a really cool song, but this is not BT3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDMuoEdJ2w

Also BT2 is a really good game, no doubt, but I prefer its sequel. That said, BT3's story mode is...lackluster, so I can see why you'd show this one instead. And you absolutely deserve a good Dragon Ball game after Ultimate Tenkaichi, so I'll be following this LP too.

And I see you're starting the training mode! As we can see, Yamcha is horribly OOC. This is common for Dragon Ball games and it angers me to no end. At no point is Yamcha shown to have taken his break-up with Bulma badly enough to attack Vegeta - in fact, he's remarkably mature about it. Then again, Bulma was a terrible girlfriend, and Yamcha deserves better. Xenoverse actually shows him being mature while reminiscing about it if you talk to him dressed as Bulma, something I liked!
Sigh, anyways, it's nice that they bothered to put a bit of story here, like in Budokai 3's training mode. I don't think BT3 did the same. And it shows pink shirt Vegeta, which is objectively the best Vegeta. That said, uhh...not the best proofreading effort in the world here. There's some small mistakes, sentences that simply don't read right all the time, differences between what is written and what is said, and at least one pretty big mistake.

Interesting fact about the Ki blast training, or rather what happens during it: Kid Gohan's fully charged Ki blast is based on a move he actually used in the anime, against Second Form Freeza. There it created a massive explosion upon impact, which obviously won't happen here as it is a basic move. Infinite World, Burst Limit and Heroes have it as a special move, named Masendan in the former two and Masenko Break in the latter. Similarly, Goku's throw is known as the Dragonthrow in the Budokai series, though here and in most other games it is just a generic throw. A pretty cool looking one though, and based on a throw Goku did actually use several times.
Also there's something amusing in hindsight about the dodge training focusing on how Gohan doesn't get dodging. If this game had come out later, I'd think it was on purpouse.

Also also I think you should show the other modes at least a bit. Dragon Adventure is nice, but there's so much in this game, it's a pity to not even mention it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Can confirm the thing about the joystick twirling. I think my friends played another game like this and there was a challenge that required him doing that five times in a row. He failed it constantly, and by the time he was done he did indeed have a circular tear in the center of his hand. DBZ games draw blood.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also also I think you should show the other modes at least a bit. Dragon Adventure is nice, but there's so much in this game, it's a pity to not even mention it.

I'll show the other modes too, just as extras. And yeah, Yamcha is incredibly out of character in many DBZ games. The worst is Raging Blast. Blugh.

SSNeoman posted:

Can confirm the thing about the joystick twirling. I think my friends played another game like this and there was a challenge that required him doing that five times in a row. He failed it constantly, and by the time he was done he did indeed have a circular tear in the center of his hand. DBZ games draw blood.

Always wear your protective gloves.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I remember having to do a super fast stick twirl in - I think - one of the N64 Mario Parties. Wasn't pretty. :smith:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

TehKeen posted:

I remember having to do a super fast stick twirl in - I think - one of the N64 Mario Parties. Wasn't pretty. :smith:

I think Nintendo may have actually gotten in serious trouble over that.

"Although no lawsuits were filed, around 90 complaints were received by New York's attorney general's office and Nintendo of America eventually agreed to a settlement, which included providing gloves for anyone who had hurt their hand(s) while playing the game and paying the state's $75,000 legal fees." - Wikipedia

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh how I do miss this game. This, and all the other PS2-era DBZ games, saw me slowly break more controllers than I thought possible thanks to so much PvP. It's incredible just how much wear and tear they'll go through when you constantly have to mash gently caress out of the analog sticks at 300rpm!

And yes, once the rubber came off the sticks it was time to use another controller. Even with the rubber, longer sessions could (literally) result in blisters and whatnot on the palm once it remotely started to perish, not nice.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh how I do miss this game. This, and all the other PS2-era DBZ games, saw me slowly break more controllers than I thought possible thanks to so much PvP. It's incredible just how much wear and tear they'll go through when you constantly have to mash gently caress out of the analog sticks at 300rpm!

And yes, once the rubber came off the sticks it was time to use another controller. Even with the rubber, longer sessions could (literally) result in blisters and whatnot on the palm once it remotely started to perish, not nice.

The DBZ games on the PS2 are responsible for the destruction of at least two of my controllers, one of them an official Sony brand.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's time to actually start the story mode

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh wow, I had entirely forgotten how BT2 worked after years of playing other games, including its sequel. I thought it was like BT3 in that you just picked from choices and then you had fights, I completely forgot there was a half-assed world map.

Also there's some stuff here that I definitely liked more in BT3, such as dividing characters by sagas (like Piccolo with all his moves being Piccolo (End), or there being three different versions of Z-Goku). It might mean there's way too many Gokus, but at least it avoided stuff like Piccolo having his post-fusion with Kami moves here.

ThatPirateguy
Mar 18, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also there's some stuff here that I definitely liked more in BT3, such as dividing characters by sagas (like Piccolo with all his moves being Piccolo (End), or there being three different versions of Z-Goku). It might mean there's way too many Gokus, but at least it avoided stuff like Piccolo having his post-fusion with Kami moves here.

That was one of the things I loved the most about BT3 as well. I really like it when characters get really different movesets and that was one the things BT3 did after BT2, it really gave everyone really dynamic and unique rush attacks to the point where stock moves were relegated to one or two characters.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh wow, I had entirely forgotten how BT2 worked after years of playing other games, including its sequel. I thought it was like BT3 in that you just picked from choices and then you had fights, I completely forgot there was a half-assed world map.

ThatPirateguy posted:

That was one of the things I loved the most about BT3 as well. I really like it when characters get really different movesets and that was one the things BT3 did after BT2, it really gave everyone really dynamic and unique rush attacks to the point where stock moves were relegated to one or two characters.

That was an overall positive, but I think it's balanced out here by giving you a greater attachment to certain characters and the way you build them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I always thought the shift between Dragonall and Z was a massive tone shift, I couldn't believe they were the same universe.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, I was confused going to Dragonball after Z, it feels totally disconnected except for the characters and aesthetic style.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I always thought the shift between Dragonall and Z was a massive tone shift, I couldn't believe they were the same universe.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, I was confused going to Dragonball after Z, it feels totally disconnected except for the characters and aesthetic style.

Yeah, believe it or not, from the beginning of DB to the end of the Cell Saga is all one manga.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I figured the whole tail-grabbing and SBC killing off Goku, would get some kind of mention. Didn't they do something like that in the prequel? Raditz saying "his father" sounded unnatural and right before calling him a brother.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I figured the whole tail-grabbing and SBC killing off Goku, would get some kind of mention. Didn't they do something like that in the prequel? Raditz saying "his father" sounded unnatural and right before calling him a brother.

Apparently they didn't have the budget to make Goku die correctly.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A what-if mode story, before we continue our regularly scheduled Saiyan Saga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raditz really is the Saiyan version of Yamcha.

Also you need to apply Occam's Razor a bit in your judgement. The reason why Vegeta never called is because he didn't care, consider he also didn't care at all about Raditz or what he did in the actual story. The plot, power levels aside, makes sense, mostly.

Also also I don't think it's so much Raditz being popular, as it is the fact that he's living fanfic material. He's the protagonist's brother, and an enemy, which should make him a very important character...but instead he's the starting villain of Z and doesn't accomplish anything in the large scale of things, beyond being half-responsible for Goku's first death. He disappears from the story after dying. It makes sense to want to explore more about him, and hell, the idea of him losing his memories like his little brother is a pretty obvious one, I wouldn't be surprised if several fanfics about it existed before BT2 went and gave its own interpretation of what would've happened.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Raditz really is the Saiyan version of Yamcha.

Also you need to apply Occam's Razor a bit in your judgement. The reason why Vegeta never called is because he didn't care, consider he also didn't care at all about Raditz or what he did in the actual story. The plot, power levels aside, makes sense, mostly.

Also also I don't think it's so much Raditz being popular, as it is the fact that he's living fanfic material. He's the protagonist's brother, and an enemy, which should make him a very important character...but instead he's the starting villain of Z and doesn't accomplish anything in the large scale of things, beyond being half-responsible for Goku's first death. He disappears from the story after dying. It makes sense to want to explore more about him, and hell, the idea of him losing his memories like his little brother is a pretty obvious one, I wouldn't be surprised if several fanfics about it existed before BT2 went and gave its own interpretation of what would've happened.

I had considered that, but there's something up ahead that kinda pokes a hole in that razor.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I'm kinda surprised they just sorta gloss over the whole "Goku killed his own brother!"
I know the Frieza Saga happened next, but that was way less personal.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah I'm kinda surprised they just sorta gloss over the whole "Goku killed his own brother!"
I know the Frieza Saga happened next, but that was way less personal.

He did initially show Raditz mercy, though that wasn't because they were family.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

He did initially show Raditz mercy, though that wasn't because they were family.

Well yeah but that's Goku's thing. He does that for everyone he fights.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
If I recall from the anime at least, Vegeta didn't really take an interest until they were talking about the dragon balls and being able to get a wish granted.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Raditz was the last time you had a Dragonballish fight where Goku was up against a much too strong enemy and had to find an alternative way to win. None of the transformations to stand a chance or 20 different ki blasts stretching over ten episodes. His techniques were named after days of the week.

Is Piccolo naturally regenerating or is that from an item?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 9, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm gonna be honest. I think that Raditz had some potential for character development had he survived past the first part of the series. But then again, as someone in the thread already said, he's basically the Yamcha of the (remaining) Saiyan race, but then again, does Raditz have a figure of him blown the gently caress up by a Saibaman in the fetal position like Yamcha does in japan? Noooope. Though I'll admit that Yamcha was a good character...up until Z hit and he basically became the universe's punching bag. Yes, Krilin's a thing...but he doesn't get nearly as poo poo on by the entire universe as Yamcha does.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Happy Goku Day if you live in Japan or something.

Also yes, I misinterpreted a lot of the dialogue and Vegeta not caring is a completely plausible answer. Whoops.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Happy Goku Day if you live in Japan or something.

Also yes, I misinterpreted a lot of the dialogue and Vegeta not caring is a completely plausible answer. Whoops.

Heretic. It is god damned Piccolo Day! and you better remember that poo poo!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Heretic. It is god damned Piccolo Day! and you better remember that poo poo!

#Piccoloisdead

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kemix posted:

I'm gonna be honest. I think that Raditz had some potential for character development had he survived past the first part of the series. But then again, as someone in the thread already said, he's basically the Yamcha of the (remaining) Saiyan race, but then again, does Raditz have a figure of him blown the gently caress up by a Saibaman in the fetal position like Yamcha does in japan? Noooope. Though I'll admit that Yamcha was a good character...up until Z hit and he basically became the universe's punching bag. Yes, Krilin's a thing...but he doesn't get nearly as poo poo on by the entire universe as Yamcha does.
Raditz bitchslapped Krillin with his tail so hard it broke the house.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Scalding Coffee posted:

Raditz bitchslapped Krillin with his tail so hard it broke the house.

Yeeees...but at least Krillin has a stable relationship :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Raditz might have got one in Hell, but that would require Toriyama to remember him.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Scalding Coffee posted:

Raditz might have got one in Hell, but that would require Toriyama to remember him.

Kind of how once Super Saiyans were intorduced, the human fighters were pretty much relegated to "Meat Shield" status? I mean, yes, Tien, Krillin and Yamcha have their moments...but, seriously, once the villains show up they're pretty much relegated to the side-lines. Even Piccolo gets some screen time against the villains and he's -maybe- a notch or two up above the human fighters once he and Kami become one during the cell saga.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It wouldn't have mattered so much, but everyone should have learned Kaio-Ken, if there wasn't so much slobbering over who had the spikiest yellow hair needed to take down the new villain. They would have reached Super Saiyan base level with all that training.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Scalding Coffee posted:

It wouldn't have mattered so much, but everyone should have learned Kaio-Ken, if there wasn't so much slobbering over who had the spikiest yellow hair needed to take down the new villain. They would have reached Super Saiyan base level with all that training.

You certainly would think. Maybe King Kai just said "gently caress it" and didn't even bother teaching them the Kaio-Ken or their bodies were too weak to handle it, god knows Goku barely used it and he's pretty much achieved Super Saiyan God levels of power since then. Hell, Goku has all but forgotten it until recently if what I read is right about the latest episodes of DB Super. Then again, Future Trunks is coming back for DB Super, so maybe Toriyama's going for the whole kitchen and the bathroom sink on the series. Guess time will only tell :v:

Kemix fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 13, 2016

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Doesn't raditz not even go to hell since he was killed by demon king piccolo? One of the Toriyama things he quickly forgets about after the Saiyan arc stats really.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Doesn't raditz not even go to hell since he was killed by demon king piccolo? One of the Toriyama things he quickly forgets about after the Saiyan arc stats really.

You are the one forgetting here, actually! After Raditz' death, Kami contemplates how Piccolo has stopped being the pure evil King Piccolo, and explicitely points out Raditz' soul being able to go to the Other World as proof of it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Blaze Dragon posted:

You are the one forgetting here, actually! After Raditz' death, Kami contemplates how Piccolo has stopped being the pure evil King Piccolo, and explicitely points out Raditz' soul being able to go to the Other World as proof of it.

Ah, my bad.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Piccolo didn't regenerate his health that time. Is that part of how they make battles harder than usual?

• Locked thread