Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Piccolo didn't regenerate his health that time. Is that part of how they make battles harder than usual?

I'm not going to lie, I paid no attention to any regenerating health. But they do equip the enemy fighters with various items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, my fanfics.

Also I can totally see Vegeta laughing over Raditz' memory loss. He was kind of a dick! And he absolutely did not care about Raditz, beyond using him to further his goals. When he learned about the Dragon Balls, it was Nappa whose first instinct was using them to revive their ally; Vegeta just decided "nah gently caress him, immortality is better".

Nappa is the nice(ish) Saiyan, Vegeta is just a monster who cared about no one but himself until character growth kicked in.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh, my fanfics.

Also I can totally see Vegeta laughing over Raditz' memory loss. He was kind of a dick! And he absolutely did not care about Raditz, beyond using him to further his goals. When he learned about the Dragon Balls, it was Nappa whose first instinct was using them to revive their ally; Vegeta just decided "nah gently caress him, immortality is better".

Nappa is the nice(ish) Saiyan, Vegeta is just a monster who cared about no one but himself until character growth kicked in.

Vegeta's behavior during the Saiyan Saga is ruthless even by most ruthless villain standards.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Attitudes toward barbarian cultures in video games generally errs towards them having to be destroyed, like it was an ongoing Jihad. Saiyans are basically a tech level ahead of said barbarians, so anyone else is expendable.

I don't suppose one of the DBZ games have Vegeta being in Goku's place in a What-If? Don't know where I heard about that fanfic story.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 15, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Less tell, more show, game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How many LPs does this make at the same time? Does Iron Man count as 2?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

How many LPs does this make at the same time? Does Iron Man count as 2?

You don't understand how many videogames there are and how little time there is.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The conclusion to the epic Raditz Saga.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Goku's face: Sorry bro not impressed with your personal sacrifice. 4/10, call me back when you improve.

Odd direction for the story to go, I mean we're right back on track with like no differences. Well Vegeta and Nappa might be dead maybe. What was the point?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

What was the point?

Just to give Raditz his own character arc, I assume.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Well poo poo, now they're just going to get killed by Frieza. A surprising amount of DBZ hinges on Goku dying, let alone becoming buddies with Vegeta.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Well poo poo, now they're just going to get killed by Frieza. A surprising amount of DBZ hinges on Goku dying, let alone becoming buddies with Vegeta.

Maybe right after all this, Goku gets shot with the Special Beam Cannon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The scouter doesn't transmit video feed, to answer that question. And Saiyans go to sleep in their pods, so Vegeta and Nappa probably have no idea about that specific moments. They know the rest though, so yes, they're probably laughing their asses off in their dreams.

Also, as seen in the video, Krillin's charged shot is special, like Gohan's. In his case, it's no other than his signature Kienzan. He also gets an ultimate version of it, of course, but the basic version is no more than his charged shot.

The point of the arc seems mostly to give Raditz his own character arc, being a character that's basically heavily ignored in the actual series and doesn't get a much better showing in videogames. I like it a lot, seeing Raditz' growth into Goku's point of view, and ending in a heroic sacrifice, it is all very nice even if there's a gigantic segregation between story and gameplay for some reason by the end.

And everyone should be fiiiine. They have no reason to go to Namek since Nappa never killed Piccolo, thus the Earth Dragon Ball works, not like they have anyone to revive. Even if they tried to revive Raditz, his place of death was space, he'd just be reborn to die immediately after due to lack of oxygen. The Namekians are totally hosed though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The ending is pure fanfic goodness. A shame he didn't have any signature attacks.
Considering how Raditz was a kid when Bardock died, I would consider everyone thought of their dad as being really strong if he wasn't sick.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Namekians are totally hosed though.

rip

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm really interested in following this LP. I remembering renting the first Tenkaichi and absolutely hating the gameplay. Back then it was just because I was terrible. I grew up and tried BT3 and discovered that even now I don't like the gameplay. I am legitimately disappointed that DBZ games seem to have decided on that system definitively instead of the original series or something new. All of that whining aside, I do like to watch others play it. I understand the appeal of the system. It looks more like the actual series than most games. God speed.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

I'm really interested in following this LP. I remembering renting the first Tenkaichi and absolutely hating the gameplay. Back then it was just because I was terrible. I grew up and tried BT3 and discovered that even now I don't like the gameplay. I am legitimately disappointed that DBZ games seem to have decided on that system definitively instead of the original series or something new. All of that whining aside, I do like to watch others play it. I understand the appeal of the system. It looks more like the actual series than most games. God speed.

Try Xenoverse maybe?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If the steam sale leak is right, wait a few weeks and get everything for 64% off, for whatever reason. Xenoverse does have Raditz's signature moves and battles are more than 1-1.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Scalding Coffee posted:

The ending is pure fanfic goodness.

Space pod ex machina (Cinema Sins chime)

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

SonicRulez posted:

I have loathed all of the 3D movement games, and played the poo poo out of budokai 3 and burst limit. However they finally won me over with Xenoverse, the fighting in that one was a lot easier to maneuver.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I have loathed all of the 3D movement games, and played the poo poo out of budokai 3 and burst limit. However they finally won me over with Xenoverse, the fighting in that one was a lot easier to maneuver.

I've heard people say the controls for Tenkaichi games are a bit complex, but as a fan of character action games they seem pretty standards. I can understand how they'd be overwhelming still.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZLruXs1WQ
An update for Dragonball.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hot drat

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Back to your regularly scheduled Saiyan Saga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Piccolo isn't lying, that scenario is likely based on the filler episode where Gohan becomes a Great Ape by looking at a holographic full Moon created by Goku's Pod. That episode indeed happens after Piccolo cuts Gohan's tail and blows up the Moon...and makes absolutely no sense for a lot of reasons, including creating a plot hole later on, but that's the nature of filler.

Or I may be overthinking it, considering the rest of the training sessions aren't based on anything, but it lines up really well with that particular filler episode.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Piccolo isn't lying, that scenario is likely based on the filler episode where Gohan becomes a Great Ape by looking at a holographic full Moon created by Goku's Pod. That episode indeed happens after Piccolo cuts Gohan's tail and blows up the Moon...and makes absolutely no sense for a lot of reasons, including creating a plot hole later on, but that's the nature of filler.

Or I may be overthinking it, considering the rest of the training sessions aren't based on anything, but it lines up really well with that particular filler episode.

The issue with that is, the narrator dialogue implies this is the first time Piccolo has seen that transformation.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like Raditz overcame that flesh wound he got earlier.
The series seems to have issues with people using swords. Yajirobe did some amazing moves against Vegeta, but any other time, swords end up being pointless to use.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Looks like Raditz overcame that flesh wound he got earlier.
The series seems to have issues with people using swords. Yajirobe did some amazing moves against Vegeta, but any other time, swords end up being pointless to use.

Didn't Trunks cut Freiza in half?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Didn't Trunks cut Freiza in half?

His sword then proceeded to break in contact with 18's arm. Not a Ki move or anything, just her arm. And he was meant to use said sword against the Androids.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

His sword then proceeded to break in contact with 18's arm. Not a Ki move or anything, just her arm. And he was meant to use said sword against the Androids.

Welp

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now cut this block of indestructible alloy. *snaps*

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

Now cut this block of indestructible alloy. *snaps*

Swords in the DBZ universe exist purely so we can have ten minutes of everyone's jaw hanging open when they break.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why did this game have Tenshinhan say he'll fight first? That's not what happens at all...how bizarre.

In the actual series, Krillin decides to fight first, only for Yamcha to stop him. It isn't for no reason or to show off either: he points out, and rightly so, that Krillin has already died before: if he dies again, then that's it, no way to bring him back. After Yamcha's death, Krillin thinks that Yamcha actually foresaw Krillin dying and decided to take the bullet instead. While this is most likely Krillin just reasoning his friend's death, since Yamcha doesn't have that power, it still stands as a very strong moment: Dragon Balls or not, one of the oldest of Goku's comrades, in the journey since far beyond Krillin, just died in front of us. And unlike previous deaths, it wasn't because he couldn't fight his way through, he won his fight then was struck down in a cowardly back-attack. It made it perfectly clear that the Saiyans meant business, and wouldn't play by the rules.

Also yeah, the Saibamen are nearly as strong as Raditz. They have a power level of 1200, in comparison to Raditz' 1500.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

F

Half the group are still significantly weaker than Saibamen. Raditz might have been beaten in a 1-1 fight against anyone, minus Gohan, because he doesn't have the experience of fighting opponents who can raise their power levels to attack. These Saiyans are somehow very different despite a slight age difference with one of them.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 21, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm really glad you guys are providing context for theses fights cause this game sorta loses a lot without it.

EDIT: lol at that Xenoverse 2 trailer. "you defeated the enemy...but they're back! Xenoverse 2!" Reminds me of Okamiden's opening. God what a shitshow that game was.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Nappa no! Don't die! So many people loved you!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was going to say something but I lost my train of thought in that AI breaking infinite combo on Nappa...

Oh right! Telekinesis. Freeza uses it later to great effect, and Guldo's abilities seem to work on a similar basis. Chiaotzu gets the short end of the stick by being an old character...and even there, by Super he's apparently gotten so strong that his telekinesis can slow down Saiyan Beyond God Goku for a short amount of time. While this may sound weak, that's goddamn impressive considering how he's far, far beyond Nappa's level. Apparently the little guy has been training off-screen.

Also I definitely did not remember how the Spirit Bomb worked in BT2. I remembered it needing "Give me energy!", unlike BT3 where you can optionally do it for more power, but not that it set the Spirit Bomb in the sky or how it triggered. That's very unique. That said it is also Goku using a move he shouldn't yet - the Spirit Bomb used against Vegeta was much smaller, and charged in his hand, the Large Spirit Bomb shown here wouldn't be used until Freeza. Still, a minor mistake in comparison to Piccolo having the Grenade moves from the start.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Holy poo poo that infinite combo possibility on Nappa. Way to break the AI!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Chiaotzu gets the short end of the stick by being an old character...and even there, by Super he's apparently gotten so strong that his telekinesis can slow down Saiyan Beyond God Goku for a short amount of time. While this may sound weak, that's goddamn impressive considering how he's far, far beyond Nappa's level. Apparently the little guy has been training off-screen.
Goku has a terrible habit of being off-guard at any moment he's not training/fighting, though. And to be fair, during that moment he's just in base form too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Telekinesis was underwhelming in practice and barely made real use of. Sure it was used to freeze people in place and move some objects, it was just not flashy enough like every other thing in the franchise. Chiaotzu might have even been a big help against the weakling Raditz if he hid himself like Yajirobe did and struck at the right time. Raditz would never have noticed it.

• Locked thread