Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
It wasn't overly flashy but at the time of its introduction it was important. I think Chiaotzu completely hosed up Krillin with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's least favorite DBZ film?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's least favorite DBZ film?
Evolution :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It has to say Dragon Ball Z on it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bio-Broly's a mess, but the second Broly movie might be even worse. It's one of those two for sure.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That first Broly movie. The new ones are not canon.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It has to say Dragon Ball Z on it.
Fine, fine, on a serious note I'll probably have to say Tree Of Might, but only because I first saw it with that awful AB Groupe dub.

"That's right everyoneofmyracecanbecomeagiantgorilla!"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh my god, that sounds like a gag dub so hard. Between Goku's total lack of emotion, Turles' insanely fast and unprofessional line delivery, and Tenshinhan's terrible voice.

On the same topic, I was searching for a video, I think it is of this dub, that showed how everything was a Kamehameha. Kaio-ken, Super Saiyan, whatever, all was Kamehameha. I can't find it anymore though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Never forget Big Green.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

On the same topic, I was searching for a video, I think it is of this dub, that showed how everything was a Kamehameha. Kaio-ken, Super Saiyan, whatever, all was Kamehameha. I can't find it anymore though.
Oh god I know the video. Yep, this is the dub. Need to do something? Anything? Just shout Kamehameha!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh god I know the video. Yep, this is the dub. Need to do something? Anything? Just shout Kamehameha!

Thank you! That's exactly the video I was thinking of. Now it's in my favourites so I'll never forget the KAMEHAMEHAAAAA again.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The guy talking for Goku does a lot of documentaries, which may explain why his voice sounds so awful coming out of a character like that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Today is a special update day! We finish off the Saiyan Saga,

and you get to have the Let's Play's first bit of Extra Content!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goku and Vegeta's exchange before their fight is almost as well-known and iconic as the fight itself. I find it interesting that you point out that that remained true to the manga, GamesAreSupernice, because I can remember a game that absolutely didn't: Budokai 3. For reasons I fail to understand, the translation changed that part completely (if voices are set to Japanese, you can hear that they're still saying the iconic lines). Then again, Budokai 3 was more cut dub-heavy than what followed.

Also, in Xenoverse, Vegeta says that the difference in power is "a wall hard work can't overcome" or something to that extent. While this is a correct translation, and I will not criticize it beyond my anger at English translations not being consistent at all, I will point out that XV AI is pretty bad, and constantly gets stuck in stuff trying to get to people, so I had fun repeating that line every time the AI hosed up and got caught up in a wall. No amount of hard work is beating terrible programming, and I sure hope XV2 fixes that.

About Vegeta...it's weird since it's such a minor move, but I've always been a big fan of the Final Galick Cannon. It might be its awesome name, or how it is really spammable when you're playing Vegeta (Scouter), but I love that move. It's pretty brutal too, with a zero-range blast at the end. Goku's Meteor Combination is another physical move I really like...but it isn't in this game, due to characters only getting three moves and not being divided by saga. Oh well, Kaio-ken Attack (which, by the way, brings me to a point of annoyance: that is NOT how Kaio-ken is pronounced, Goku) is also cool, just not as cool.

On the Spirit Bomb, I have to make a correction: you said that "in this case, everyone from the planet Earth" on where the Spirit Bomb gets its power from. This is entirely wrong, that won't be true until Buu. The Spirit Bomb used on Vegeta was much weaker, and only used the power of the planet itself, plants and stuff like that. And even there, it got its power cut down even further after Vegeta beat up Goku. And you can be drat sure I was screaming at you to get the Dragon Ball, those things don't spawn all the time! (though they spawn pretty frequently, I just have bad Xenoverse flashbacks).

In general, the fight is really well-done in the game. If I have one complaint, it's that it didn't show the single most iconic moment of it, the clash between Goku's Kaio-ken X3/X4 Kamehameha, and Vegeta's Galick Gun. It would've been so easy too, just show it as a beam clash, it's something the game actually can do! Still, it's a minor complaint in a great game.

I have nothing to say for Raging Blast 2. My console choices led me to skip that part of Dragon Ball history. It looks pretty, that's for sure, but the only thing I've..."enjoyed" personally of RB2 was Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans. Oh boy was THAT terrible. You previously asked what was the worst DBZ film, and I answered Broly 2 or 3. I stand by that, but only because we were talking about movies, if OVAs come into the topic, then Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans absolutely takes the crown, between the complete lack of animation (cut shots everywhere, severe off-model moments), incredibly mediocre story, and boring as hell villain, it is by far my most hated bit of Dragon Ball media, surpassing other terrible stuff like History of Bardock (which has an even worse story but at least it's pretty to look at).

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

A lot of words were here.

I love reading your posts.

My apologies for misremembering the Spirit Bomb, he uses it three times where it's relevant and I always get them confused. Not counting the non-canon films.

I absolutely loved Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, because it was so awful. I remember I had no drat clue who or what a Hatchiyack was, and after we unlocked him by watching the animation, I no longer had a desire to play as him.

The reason -I believe- why it's so terrible is because it was originally an animated walkthrough for a videogame that simply got refurbished with a faux-HD shine.

Oh, and I get a Dragon Ball on-screen in the next saga.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 25, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Big Green died, so I was surprised there were still Dragon Balls to collect. The cutscenes with Vegeta showed an awful lot of stuff that did happen, but still ignored him killing Nappa, glossed over how going GrApe makes you ten times stronger, and Vegeta cutting off Gohan's tail with his own Kienzan.
You mentioned how size affected life bars, but it didn't seem to factor for Oozaru Vegeta getting one more bar.

I recently saw an LP for Raging Blast 2 and it seemed to exist for people who like unlocking stuff. Here is a picture from a movie, a one minute screen time character, or a point to distribute. The game supposedly had an equip that prevented one hit kills in those stages and it never worked. What was up with that?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Raging Blast 2 seems to jave a lot more personality to its character animations.
And I love unique taunts. I know it must be a pain in the rear end to set up, but it adds a lot.
Like Dissidia, where every character had a unique opening quote for every opponent.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Big Green died, so I was surprised there were still Dragon Balls to collect. The cutscenes with Vegeta showed an awful lot of stuff that did happen, but still ignored him killing Nappa, glossed over how going GrApe makes you ten times stronger, and Vegeta cutting off Gohan's tail with his own Kienzan.
You mentioned how size affected life bars, but it didn't seem to factor for Oozaru Vegeta getting one more bar.

I recently saw an LP for Raging Blast 2 and it seemed to exist for people who like unlocking stuff. Here is a picture from a movie, a one minute screen time character, or a point to distribute. The game supposedly had an equip that prevented one hit kills in those stages and it never worked. What was up with that?

I feel like they were worried about the lack of content, so every fight you complete unlocked something.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Time for the first film saga

And some brief gameplay of Turles set to Tree of Might's haunting music

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Tree of Might is rather bullshit with its happy ending. Dubtitles are bullshit. I don't know why Funimation has to change things up in its programs.
It is a shame they introduced all the characters, who get destroyed, so that Goku can look good, by beating up all the bad guys by himself. Teamwork be damned. It is a step back from World's Strongest.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Tree of Might is rather bullshit with its happy ending. Dubtitles are bullshit. I don't know why Funimation has to change things up in its programs.
It is a shame they introduced all the characters, who get destroyed, so that Goku can look good, by beating up all the bad guys by himself. Teamwork be damned. It is a step back from World's Strongest.

At least the other Z-Fighters get decent screen time, even if they don't do much.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This one is my favourite Dragon Ball Z game by far. For all the same reasons stated in the videos. I played it on the Wii which changed the combat a bit. Maybe not in the best of ways but it was still fun none the less.
I only wish the "what if" scenarios did a little more to delve into what would really change if you alter just a little bit. I say that, but I can already see from what happened in Ultimate Tenkaichi that it might not be the best idea to try and alter events.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Warmal posted:

This one is my favourite Dragon Ball Z game by far. For all the same reasons stated in the videos. I played it on the Wii which changed the combat a bit. Maybe not in the best of ways but it was still fun none the less.
I only wish the "what if" scenarios did a little more to delve into what would really change if you alter just a little bit. I say that, but I can already see from what happened in Ultimate Tenkaichi that it might not be the best idea to try and alter events.

What changed in the Wii version?

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

What changed in the Wii version?

Being an early Wii title, I'm guessing MOTION CONTROLS were added in, for better or worse.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Time for the second Film Saga!

As well as some brief gameplay of Lord Slug, set to Gohan's infamous whistling

And a super short showcasing of what Z-Fusion looks like

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That was quite a cutscene dissonance after the gameplay segment. I wish that kind of destruction becomes a thing in Xenoverse 2.
I thought this Super Saiyan form was a dub error of a higher level of Kaioken.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

That was quite a cutscene dissonance after the gameplay segment. I wish that kind of destruction becomes a thing in Xenoverse 2.
I thought this Super Saiyan form was a dub error of a higher level of Kaioken.

Nope, they actually called it Super Saiyan in both versions.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is some error, Toriyama.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I go out for one weekend and there's two whole new movie arcs! Geez, I can't give commentary like this...

Anyways, pretty much everything about the Tree of Might has been said...and honestly, it's kind of weird, since the Gods themselves (as in, the Kais) are born from fruit themselves...does that count as cannibalism? Because that's sort of creepy, thinking about it. Not like it matters since it is non-canon, I guess.
There is one thing I need to add about the movie though: GamesAreSupernice pointed out that Funimation for some reason changed Goku's Kaio-ken from x10 to x20. It's a fair point, but this one I feel is fairer: how the gently caress is Goku using even x10? This is meant to happen before Freeza, by this point even x4 was a gigantic strain upon his body. Even if we take the implied but not confirmed post-Vegeta Zenkai, it still wouldn't be enough, Goku managed to use and master x10 by his training on high gravity during his travel to Namek. These movies are just full of plotholes I swear...

Turles is an interesting concept, a "what if Goku did not hit his head". His parallels with Goku only get stronger in this game, considering his ultimate blast, Meteor Burst. "Meteor" moves are commonly Goku's, and in fact he has quite the variety in those, although BT3 shows that far better. BT3 also shows Turles' Great Ape state, which unsurprisingly looks the exact same as Goku's but wearing armour, and much like Goku, he has no control whatsoever over it. That said...this guy is the most hypocritical poo poo entirely due to weird writing. Here he says he expected nothing more from low-class scum like Goku, apparently forgetting he is, indeed, low-class scum. Hell, the movie outright uses that fact to justify Turles being Goku's long-lost twin (figurative, unless you're watching the French dub). In Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, he says he hates the Saiyans more than Freeza...somehow, apparently forgetting he is one. Weird-rear end writing surrounds an interesting villain concept.

NuminaXLT posted:

Being an early Wii title, I'm guessing MOTION CONTROLS were added in, for better or worse.

This is indeed the case. The Wii versions of the BT titles added motion controls, namely, you could use the poses from the manga/anime in your special moves to boost them (something better shown in BT3, where you can boost every move), and the Z-Dash now worked by moving the controller...I think charged blows too, but I can't fully remember. In any case, it was fun as hell to play that way. Really increased the Dragon Ball feel.

About Lord Slug...man that movie was lame. Old Piccolo gets the Dragon Balls and wishes for his youth, and then turns giant to face Goku...wait, poo poo, this isn't either Piccolo. Very derivative. The most unique thing about it is the non-Super Saiyan thing. I feel it deserves a bit more explanation: it was meant to be a sneak peek of the Super Saiyan form, however, by the time it appeared in the manga, Toriyama went with a rather different design - namely, the form shown in the movie kept Goku's black hair, had a different aura, and had his eyes go blank. Furthermore, he seemed totally berserk in the form, losing all consciousness, instead of just being in a state of extreme rage, to the point that Krillin making Goku return to control actually cancelled the form. Due to all of this, by the time the Daizenshuu had to acknowledge the form, they dubbed it a "Fake Super Saiyan". That's about as much of an explanation as we'll ever get of it, seeing as how it'll never appear in a game or anything. Not even Heroes has it, and Heroes has a lot of dumb unknown poo poo.
You know what also isn't in Heroes and also makes no sense? Kaio-ken, once again. After losing his Fake Super Saiyan form, Goku takes Piccolo's power to activate a Kaio-ken x100. In-series, the highest he ever goes is x20. Considering the (constantly fluctuating, depending entirely on who says it, and basically fully non-canon at this point) statement that Super Saiyan is only a x50 boost, that makes Goku at this point stronger than a Super Saiyan and, in fact, in the same level as a Super Saiyan 2...which is totally dumb.

I also think that Z-Fusion to unlock characters was a neat thing in BT2, the combinations are pretty logical for anyone who knows the characters. My personal favourite is how you unlock Super 17, by fusing two 17 Potara...which is exactly how Super 17 is formed in GT, fusing the original 17 with Hell 17.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

So many words were here.

I think Lord Slug's origin was also meant to contrast Goku's.

Goku came from an "evil" race, was sent away and turned into a good person.

Slug came from a "good' race, was sent away and turned into a bad person.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Also, I appreciate your posts, and have been saving them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Don't know why a Kaioh-ken X100 is dumb since anyone could learn it, and Goku couldn't even master Super Saiyan, let alone know of SS2. What is dumb is that Goku should have been able to take Kaioh-ken levels beyond the various SS forms. Everything has to be based on a number.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scalding Coffee posted:

Don't know why a Kaioh-ken X100 is dumb since anyone could learn it, and Goku couldn't even master Super Saiyan, let alone know of SS2. What is dumb is that Goku should have been able to take Kaioh-ken levels beyond the various SS forms. Everything has to be based on a number.

The higher boost on the Kaio-ken, the more strain on Goku's body. By the point of this movie (pre-Freeza) even using x4 basically destroyed his body, and he stops himself from going into x5 against Vegeta because it was more likely to kill himself than actually do something useful. Even by the fight against Freeza, with absolute mastery over Kaio-ken x10, he could use x20 for a grand total of one attack that ended up doing worse to him than to Freeza.

Plus the whole multiplier thing that is better forgotten on the Super Saiyan stages. Basically introducing Super Saiyan put a cap on the Kaio-ken rather hard. That said, Goku did reuse x10 against Hit - combining it with Super Saiyan Blue in an amazing double-aura red-blue power-up. It could've completely wrecked his body by merely activating it, and after using it it gave him Late Ki Syndrome or something to that extent, but he did remember he had that!

Also, I appreciate your posts, and have been saving them.

Aww, I don't think my posts are really that great, but thank you!

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 31, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Did he loving dodge your spirit bomb despite it leveling a small country? :stare:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
To be fair, if it wasn't a direct hit in this series, it wouldn't have defeated him.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

To be fair, if it wasn't a direct hit in this series, it wouldn't have defeated him.

Even direct hits don't necessarily do anything particularly useful in the series! Vegeta gets hit by one, it just pisses him off. Frieza gets hit by one and it loving infuriates him!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The best way to defeat an opponent is to get them to pop blood vessels.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Or get them to fight the next big opponent, which they lose to almost immediately.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Burdock saves the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's something to be said about modern Dragon Ball media considering how I spent a bit of time wondering why Bardock wasn't transforming into a Super Saiyan. I entirely forgot that wasn't part of his character until the terrible Episode of Bardock, and then it appeared on every game ever because Broly and Bardock are the best and we must put them everywhere regardless of anything and you will love them forever.

I kid though. Bardock is genuinely great and I like him. That said he's a great example of why you shouldn't mess with good stories, everyone fondly remembers Bardock: the Father of Goku, a special that wasn't even canon, yet Toriyama himself liked it so much that he had to add Bardock to the manga. And yet, that did not stop what followed, him deciding that he had to rewrite the past into his own view. And while I love Toriyama, and usually dislike the plots Toei makes (gently caress GT forever)...Dragon Ball Minus was terrible. Even moreso because it came with the much, much bettter Jaco. To this day I do not accept it as canon, because Father of Goku is just so much better, there's no comparison.
Also you pointed out that there's no reason to not consider Father of Goku canon, but there is, as I detailed above: Minus contradicts it, and the Jaco manga (and by extension, Minus) are canon as Jaco appeared in Resurrection "F" and Super, not to mention those are Toriyama works. But I prefer to ignore that entirely and just stick with Father of Goku, because, again, I did not like Minus.

And of course, from the non-canon side, we got the incredible nonsense that was Episode of Bardock, an overly long ad for Bardock's Super Saiyan form in Heroes. If it had been just that, it would be fine, but nope, it had to have a whole nonsensical story, where apparently he was sent into the past instead of dying, and now is horribly OOC and transforms into a Super Saiyan. At least it was pretty, I guess...

Okay, enough gushing and hating stuff about Bardock, the game itself. And man, do I dislike how Bardock is presented here. Not because of the arc itself, no, his moves are just so bland! Budokai 3 gives him an incredibly epic finisher in Spirit of Saiyan, which is so much better-looking than Final Spirit Cannon here...and then he has a completely standard Full Power Energy Wave. Lame! Final Revenger is very cool though, so I guess we just can't have EVERYTHIIIIINNNGGGG.

...Ahem, anyways! It's important to add to your synopsis of Freeza destroying Planet Vegeta that he also feared the legend of the Super Saiyan (and, in Minus' retcon, Super Saiyan God). While he never admits to believing it, it clearly influenced his behaviour there, that all monkeys should die because they could become a problem later in spite of being completely subservient to Freeza at this point in time. Being as how one of said monkeys would beat him to near death, then another would kill him, then the first would kill him again though...maybe he had a point.

Also uhh...what happened there during the Bardock-charging-Freeza's-ship scene? Did Sonny Strait forget he was meant to VA Bardock for a moment?

• Locked thread