Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
It is because he is a good person. That is why he must be tortured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

What's stopping the Trunks and Bulma from the lovely future timeline from going to find New Namek and just reviving everyone with those Dragonballs? Heck. They would have had 3 wishes. They could have wished the androids from existence and then wished everyone back.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Warmal posted:

What's stopping the Trunks and Bulma from the lovely future timeline from going to find New Namek and just reviving everyone with those Dragonballs? Heck. They would have had 3 wishes. They could have wished the androids from existence and then wished everyone back.

Finding New Namek, for one. In the good timeline Goku only finds it using King Kai's antenna alongside his own Ki sensing and Instant Transmission, none of which are possible with Goku dead. Creating spaceships is likely hard when you're under constant attack from the Androids, too.

Also that's just not how the Dragon Balls work. The Androids would likely be immune to being wished to death because they're more powerful than Porunga's creator, while we don't know how Porunga's wishes would work on those dead since a long time ago, and we can't realy say "they'll work fine" when we saw what happened to Freeza.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Warmal posted:

They could wish for the bombs in the androids to detonate and launch Cell into the sun.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can think of at least one god and his time-displaced version who very much do not agree with this.

Trunks will never be happy. Never.
They are talking about Buu, which another game had explored that scenario. Trunks learned to go SSJ3 and utterly destroyed Babidi before Majin Buu hatched.

Gamesaresupernice is right about Super. Don't watch it and be glad that Trunks finally has a happy ending. gently caress you, Toriyama.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I actually started Super a little while ago. I'm just past the Resurrection F arc, and so far it's been pretty good. I think it's a little strange for the first two arcs to have just been the movies, but overall it's been fine.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Paragas has an unfortunate name.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have nothing to add here. This is a bad adaptation of a bad movie that gave birth to two even worse movies and a horrible character that must appear everywhere.

Even Vegeta's cowardice subplot was done far better in Battle of Gods.

I'm very excited about female canon Broly though, because I'm sure Toriyama will do a much better job than The Legendary Baby here.

Also this is the best way to watch Broly's first movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozM3Chgvq-o

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The pod crushing scene did remind me of the crushing scenes from Akira. Just a little less bloody.

I think the movie that showed baby Broly, was set in the final hours of planet Vegeta. Some of the events that happened at that time, depending on the many canons of Toriyama:

1. Bardock got beaten down and tried to recruit a group to fight Freezer, then got blown away.
2. Bardock was sent back in time by the Death Ball and became the real Legendary Super Saiyan.
3. Bardock and his people assembled on the planet to hear an announcement from Freezer and got blown up by the Death Ball.
4. Bardock recreated the events of the beginning of Superman during the last hours of Krypton.
5. Broly and Paragus got beaten and left for dead. Broly ascended to become the Legendary Super Saiyan before the planet blew up.
6. King Vegeta rose up against Freezer and got killed for it.
7. Cooler spotted Goku and decided not to do anything about it.
8. Jaco was tasked with dealing with Goku if he became a threat, which Jaco decided not to do anything about it.
9. Not sure of the timeline of this one. Beerus told Freezer to destroy the Saiya people, prompting him to starts this series of events.
10. ???
11. Profit

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The legendary warrior of space.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There absolutely is a reason to not use the strongest combo. Namely, that by doing three punches, three kicks, three punches, etc, you can stunlock bosses forever.

Also no one should ever hate themselves enough to LP Sagas. It isn't worth it. Play Taiketsu instead, at least it'll be a shorter experience, if just as lovely.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

There absolutely is a reason to not use the strongest combo. Namely, that by doing three punches, three kicks, three punches, etc, you can stunlock bosses forever.

Also no one should ever hate themselves enough to LP Sagas. It isn't worth it. Play Taiketsu instead, at least it'll be a shorter experience, if just as lovely.

It actually takes less time overall to defeat them with the combo where your legs and arms catch fire, and it's possible to stunlock them with it as well. Even if the other stunlock is funnier, it takes longer in the end, because the lack of a big damage boost the large combo grants when it finishes.

I considered playing Taiketsu, but TFS already made the best LP of that possible with Krillin.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I never kept track of all these Dragonball games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I never kept track of all these Dragonball games.

At least no one can say there's a shortage of them.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Why wasn't this film called "Bojack Attack"?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, and I almost forgot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There was also a World's Marial Arts tournament after Krillin beat Piccolo.

So many movies and I don't think they aired all of them on CN. I should catch up to what happened in them.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

So it begins.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If this Saga doesn't have four fights against every form of Buu, I will be disappointed.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think this little section of DBZ might be my favourite part. Just the idea of teaching Videl to fly and having a superhuman try and fit into regular society was really interesting to me. Not to mention how nerdy Gohan continued to be by becoming a super hero. It is by far one of the more interesting arcs to the story.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Imbecile.

As fast tracked as this saga is already off to, Xenoverse skipped right to the end and ignored any plot points in the saga. The first ten minutes of the video showed more of the saga than Xenoverse.
There was a ton of stuff that got skipped over in the video. There were Babidi henchmen who gathered energy (Kili) for Buu and they were probably stronger than Krillin and Tenshin. That Majin tattoo basically adds an amount equal to Freezer's power to yours.
One of those henchman got kicked by Videl so hard, his head did a 180. Cause that happens when an ant kicks Freezer. It led to a very drawn out sequence of a girl getting bloodied and our heroes except for Gohan basically said, "let the girl get beaten some more", and Gohan got ready to kill the guy, only to be ambushed by the other henchman, who drained his energy to partially revive Buu.

Majin Vegeta blew away a chunk of the audience at the end of the tournament in order to get Goku to fight him, which provided the extra Kili needed to revive Buu.
Dabura turned you to stone by spitting on you. Unknown henchman 3 named Yakon ate energy until he blew up. Pui Pui was the last of the slaves and also among the strongest warriors in the universe (pre-GT), who Vegeta joyously killed without needing to transform at all. All of them have "Majin" in their name and a tattoo on their head, for having the extra power the wizard Babidi gave them.

Babidi later got into a fight with Piccolo and got slashed in half. His body still moved around the whole time and gave orders. That was probably right before Buu turned on Babidi for being an rear end in a top hat.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

You mention that Akira probably just didn't know what to do with Vegeta's character. Which I think is probably true. What I've found from Dragonball Super so far is that Vegeta is probably the most developed character thus far.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like how his battle pose in Super is hunched over with his arms in front of him, like some sort of little gorilla.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Easy come, easy go.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Buu Saga is around 100+ episodes and it gets hard to remember the details. The same hunters who shot Satan also graphically shot his dog, Bee, which caused Buu to divide. Buu also knows how to bring people back to life. Did the game mention that Buu could do that? That is how Babidi got better after his split from Piccolo.
I think the Room of Spirit and Time also loses its time dilation property after the damage that gets caused to it by Piccolo breaking the door. Chi Chi was the only character who didn't get eaten and dropped to the floor as an egg. She was a bitch to Buu.
Unless I got the lore wrong... When Bulma and Chi Chi died, they were supposed to lose their bodies and become clouds, then get judged by Yama, but that got retconned into giving them a body with Genie vapor legs to float on. You were supposed to keep your body after death if you were like some legendary hero, like when Goku died.

Gohan learned to unleash his full potential that the DBZ series has been building up from since he headbutt Raditz, when a different alien (the game didn't mention) dances around him for hours. Super Buu is stronger than Majin Buu and Gohan wrecks him. If you want to remember Gohan as being poo poo-kicker supreme, don't ever watch Super.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's possible Toriyama just didn't have anything else he wanted to do with Gohan, which seems like a good decision considering how surprisingly little development adult Goku had received before Resurrection F.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Thus far I haven't had a problem with Gohan in Super. He was never a head strong fighter like his father was. Even if he had more potential power than him, he's never exhibited the drive to pursue it. He became stronger to fight of Freeza's goons. He became stronger again to stop Cell. And once again gained power to beat Majin Buu. None of this was really his choice. It's just that he has a strong sense of justice, and knows that he has the power to save people. Which is why The Great Saiyaman was the perfect role for him. He's all about saving people, not being the strongest.
After Z and into Super, he didn't need to train. Just like between the Cell games and the start of the Buu saga. When left on his own he really just wants to do well for himself in society. Since he was a kid he's always made sure to keep to his studies. It's not really a bad character trait at all. He just has a different goal from his father. What super has done really well is just show how the characters motivations have changed over the years. Even Krillin has shifted from fighting to police work. He has a family to support as well. And realistically it lets him keep his fighting career going with a steady paycheck.
It certainly doesn't fit in with the rest of the Dragonball fighting characters, but Gohan has continued to be an amazing role model for the kids that grew up watching him in the very beginning. I've kept to around his age in a way as Dragonball Z aired in Canada and continues in Super. And he's only shown that you can be smart and strong. And I think that's just really swell. Though. Super has proven that he still needs to learn how to DODGE!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I mean seriously, that clashes so badly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They went all out in being creative in everything for this saga. Gotenks had about a dozen useless moves and ghosts that explode on contact. The fusion process is extremely exact to the point where one's power level has to be equal, but size is a convenient exception. It takes a couple seconds to perform, but being an inch off will make you turn into some freak fusion who is utterly worthless for 30 minutes, or down to 5 minutes if they are really strong. The new canon has Gotenks timeout almost immediately after a failed fusion. The manga probably explains how Gotenks can hit SS3, when neither Goten nor Trunks know about SS2, or how Vegito never hit SS2 when both of them know it. That sure would have helped that saga end 40 episodes earlier.
Buu sometimes changes his appearance when he absorbs strong people. Sounds familiar. He added SS3 Gotenks' bare chest armor after their absorption and reverts back into normal clothes and Piccolo's cape, when the fusion time ran out on him, which also powered him down. When he took Mystic Gohan into him, he put on Gohan's clothes instead.

I thought Buu turned Vegito into a gumball. A nitpick, but it also points out how size and speed actually matters in the franchise, something that is measured for lots of things around combat and power level nonsense, which is also sometimes forgotten by Toriyama. Of course, being so small and having more speed than the 1990s established power levels of the only remaining gods in the universe, forces Buu to turn them back in anger. The god who recruited you to fight is called Kaioshin, who rules the Eastern quadrant of the universe. His Kai associates were either absorbed or killed by Buu long ago. If he died to Buu, Super might never have existed.

The game mentioned Elder Kai. He is the guy who danced around Gohan to bring out his "Mystic" form, which is just a very intense Earthling aura. He has a strange history that the new canon wants to pile on for some reason. None of it matters, except that he was encased inside a sword until that sword was used to cut an unbreaktonium cube. He did say it was from some nameless bad guy be barely remembers cursing him, while Super retcons that into him definitely knowing it was Beerus. That is not something you would forget. The cat who exists to murder planets for the smallest slight, also lazily retcons its own lore by turning people into swords or tells Freezer to murder apes when he feels like it.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 10, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It really did feel like Dragonball Z was going to be ending with the cell saga. I suppose at the time it would have been hard to figure out how to top Cell. I guess, "do it again but bigger" is a viable option.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Good job everyone, now let's take five

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

One of the extra modes, Ultimate Battle Z.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That was a rush.

While Kid Buu was the original form, he absorbed a couple Kai's, one of which is the king of the gods, who gave Buu his fat, weaker appearance. The Southern Kai originally made him look mega buff and the reason why he has a Super Buu form after shedding the innocent form. There were three wishes granted in the Saga and it tells how Toei glossed over the series and retconned Shenron to now have three wishes, because Porunga was used to restore the planet and revive the (good enough) people, while Shenron was used to heal Goku. They later wished away the memories of people knowing how Buu killed everyone, leaving those killed by Vegeta to still be angry. I think that also leaves some of the cast who still remember that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I can feel my soul leaving.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Shenron has been known to be very impatient and likely went back to sleep and scattered his power. The balls became inert for a couple months after.

As Broly is the Legendary Super Saiyan, he constantly becomes more powerful as time passes. He also would have received a Zenkai boost from Goku's final attack in the last movie. Villains still never lose power from idling for some reason, though age is still a factor. Buu does lose power by having children. He did father his own race shortly after his saga.

When Goku went SSJ3, his power level became 400X his base. SS1 is 50X and SS2 is 100X.

Remember the Tree of Might? Turles got one of its seeds from the planet of the Kai's, which could safely grow there. You never see the actual tree or the fruit it bears on the planet, even in Super. I guess the canonical rules still apply to the movie, even if you can make a nod to it.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I really have to wonder if the voice actors are tired of saying KAMEHAMEHA after all the years. Just due to the show, movies, and games all getting their own dialogue. I mean. It's a paycheck. But still.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thousands of moves and everyone ends up doing the exact same one at the end. Vegeta said it is an inferior Galick Gun.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

What we really need is more Milky Cannon.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Ginyu was a beast at that point in XV. No idea why people had trouble with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The fact that there are varying Ki blasts is pretty substantial actually. They never really mention how they do it. It's just a build up of ki that you then propel out. And somehow all these people do it in different ways. The most notable being the Special Beam Cannon or Destructo Disk.

• Locked thread