Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Warmal posted:

The fact that there are varying Ki blasts is pretty substantial actually. They never really mention how they do it. It's just a build up of ki that you then propel out. And somehow all these people do it in different ways. The most notable being the Special Beam Cannon or Destructo Disk.

Maybe it's all about the pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

They fused again! Except it may be for the first time it's a little unclear.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am not disappointed the game didn't cover the Saiyan kid's fight with Hitler. It was like some cartoon version of one of Charlie Chaplin's skits, only very ugly to look at. This movie is probably the most censored in all the Dragon Ball franchise because of it. The entire segment was removed from a dozen or so countries.

Did Janemba not rely on his sword during the Dragon Ball games, as Trunks does?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am not disappointed the game didn't cover the Saiyan kid's fight with Hitler. It was like some cartoon version of one of Charlie Chaplin's skits, only very ugly to look at.

Oh my god I can't believe I forgot that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

"Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Fist Explosion" is a less dramatic title, but it may have sold more.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Link had a good VA. Don't know what they were going with.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Beyond being part of the lyrics for the movie's song, that line is also part of the original title: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Fist Explosion! If Goku Doesn't, Who Will?

The answer to that would be "Trunks and Tapion", if the movie had not wanted to suddenly switch from its protagonists to the spotlight-stealing monkey. And it'd be a better movie for it, too! At the same time, we wouldn't have the Dragon Fist, and man, the Dragon Fist is goddamn cool. You did a disservice to the film by not showing it in combat (it is in BT2, right? I know it is in BT3). XV2 added it and its the main reason why I want to play a melee character there after going full Ki in XV1.

I do think Wrath of the Dragon is pretty neat though. What it implies makes no goddamn sense whatsoever, and this game in particular fails to actually show it (namely, that the sword Future Trunks wielded was Tapion's, by having Tapion give his sword to Kid Trunks, despite how F-Trunks could've never met Tapion. Here, he gave Trunks "a gift" but the game does not show or say it is the sword for some reason). Nonetheless, it is good, though I prefer Fusion Reborn and on that note, I need to say, play Shin Budokai. Because Shin Budokai has excellent writing and takes the best non-canon movie and makes it much better.

I would've said that after the Fusion Reborn video, but I was gone for ten days and suddenly there's a million new updates. You sure work fast, GamesAreSupernice.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I just picked up Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for the, uh, Dolphin and it's fun but very confusing, control-wise. Will you be doing 3 after this lp is over?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

At the same time, we wouldn't have the Dragon Fist, and man, the Dragon Fist is goddamn cool. You did a disservice to the film by not showing it in combat

I couldn't! Due to an incredible oversight or just general apathy, it's impossible to use Dragon Fist on Hirudegarn, as rush attacks don't work on giant characters.

Rhjamiz posted:

I just picked up Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for the, uh, Dolphin and it's fun but very confusing, control-wise. Will you be doing 3 after this lp is over?

I am currently working on Infinite World and DBZ Sagas. Tenkaichi 3 is sitting next to my PS2, and it's tempting, but I think I want a break from the Tenkaichi series for just a bit.

And yeah, the controls are definitely confusing, but I think they do a great service to the license.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I couldn't! Due to an incredible oversight or just general apathy, it's impossible to use Dragon Fist on Hirudegarn, as rush attacks don't work on giant characters.

What? Why? Dragon Fist actually bypasses that in BT3 entirely because it was used on Hirudegarn in the first place, why isn't it a thing here? That's weird!

quote:

I am currently working on Infinite World and DBZ Sagas.

Also why do you hate yourself this much?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

What? Why? Dragon Fist actually bypasses that in BT3 entirely because it was used on Hirudegarn in the first place, why isn't it a thing here? That's weird!

One of the many presentation improvements in BT3.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also why do you hate yourself this much?

I actually really enjoy Infinite World! I think it got a pretty bum rep and I consider it a worthy Budokai game.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 16, 2017

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
GamesAreSupernice (you need an acronym or something), you said earlier in the thread you never really got a chance to play through Raging Blast 2 right? Well, I'll be streaming it to get the platinum trophy for no real reason, if you want to sit in on a session and experience the fantastic tedium no story brings to the table.

Also, if you don't want this here, I'm cool with that and I'll remove it.

Also, top thread. I only tuned in recently, but I'm amazed at how little I remember from the game. Definitely the least played of the Budokai series for me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RandomNinja posted:

GamesAreSupernice (you need an acronym or something), you said earlier in the thread you never really got a chance to play through Raging Blast 2 right? Well, I'll be streaming it to get the platinum trophy for no real reason, if you want to sit in on a session and experience the fantastic tedium no story brings to the table.

You should post the link here for everyone, I'll definitely tune in!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Don't be such a big baby.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

At the very least I like Baby because he isn't Cell and Buu. Rather than absorbing everyone else like the previous two Big Bads. He put himself in others. It's the opposite and at the very least interesting.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A slight correction: Goku didn't realize Uub was Buu's reincarnation when he entered the epilogue's Tenkaichi Budokai. He already fully knew about Uub by the time, using the chance to face Uub and get that other half of his wish ("come back as a good guy so we can have a rematch" because Goku). Super expands on this, showing that Goku was already told about Uub being born...far out of time, because the timeline stopped making sense the moment Toriyama decided everyone was too old and hosed continuity over really hard, but details.

"I'm not so sweet that you can turn me into chocolate" is a really weird line that most definitely feels really OOC coming from Baby. It's probably a pun, because Japan, with amai (which translates to both sweet and naive, the latter would make more sense here for Baby...but at the same time completely invalidates the line, making this untranslateable...but anything would be better than Baby suddenly feeling sexy, apparently)

Super Saiyan 4 is so cool. It shouldn't surprise anyone GT fucks over its appearance, because GT, but gently caress SS4 is so cool. And I really like how Sean Schemmel at this point in time wasn't giving SS4 a really stupid voice, too bad he decided to change that. He's far more tolerable here than in Xenoverse. And talking about voice acting, holy poo poo Baby is terrible. I don't even remember the Latin American voice but I sure as hell don't remember cringing as much as I am here.

Also talking about GT being "creative" is pretty hilarious when you're playing against Baby, a complete ripoff of Plan to Exterminate the Saiyans (Tuffles, revenge machine, etc). Much better done than its source, though...which is incredibly damning, because GT is not good, but Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans is either the most or second most awful piece of poo poo to ever come out of Dragon Ball, fighting that title with Episode of Bardock. That said, the whole "possesses everyone" thing was really cool, and Baby is still the best arc of GT. Which, again, is not saying a lot.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also talking about GT being "creative" is pretty hilarious

There are a lot of things about GT that are very stupid, but I enjoy the world-building and the ideas behind SS4 quite a bit.

Wasn't Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans just a walkthrough for a videogame given life in animation?

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

There are a lot of things about GT that are very stupid, but I enjoy the world-building and the ideas behind SS4 quite a bit.

Wasn't Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans just a walkthrough for a videogame given life in animation?

Plan to eradicate the Super Saiyans was more an animation accompaniment for a Japan-only game by the same name IIRC. They also fully redid it for this release, in the same animation style as the bumpers for Kai. It's not good, but it was a decent length, modern animated Dragonball adventure. This being years before Super, it was nice to have.

As for GT, the only thing I remember, and this is mostly from the games, is that Uub, after fusing with Buu, had a really terrible moveset.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RandomNinja posted:

They also fully redid it for this release

Speaking of which, is there a rough time table you use to stream? And do you have to watch Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans to get a platinum, because whatever streaming service you use may not be keen on that.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Speaking of which, is there a rough time table you use to stream? And do you have to watch Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans to get a platinum, because whatever streaming service you use may not be keen on that.

I usually start streaming around 9 PM EST on days I choose to stream. As for watching it, I think I've already done that? I can't remember if I did that before or after the system wipe. Anywho, I can off-screen it. Next time I stream, I'll post in the thread with my Discord and twitch channel for whoever wants to watch.

Also, the multiplayer servers are still online, so if anyone has the game, we can have an impromptu tournament.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RandomNinja posted:

I'll post in the thread with my Discord and twitch channel for whoever wants to watch.

Cool, thank you.

RandomNinja posted:

Also, the multiplayer servers are still online, so if anyone has the game, we can have an impromptu tournament.

I would get my rear end wrecked, Raging Blast 2 is the kind of game I need to practice to be any good at. The controls are pretty complex, even by Tenkaichi standards.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Super fuckin' rekt is more like it.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Super fuckin' rekt is more like it.

Fun Fact: Super 17 has the dumbest outfit in the entire Dragonball franchise. That includes Trucker Hat, also known as Android 13.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RandomNinja posted:

Fun Fact: Super 17 has the dumbest outfit in the entire Dragonball franchise. That includes Trucker Hat, also known as Android 13.

But I love his Power Suspenders™.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't really blame BT for using Future Trunks to represent GT Trunks when several games use Buu Saga Gohan to represent Future Gohan. I also can't blame it for not having GT Trunks, because GT Trunks is awful.

That said, how stupid the Super 17 saga was cannot be overstated. There's several things GamesAreSupernice does not point out, such as how Goku spends the entire Super 17 fight acting like Vegeta. Whenever he's in-character, Goku consistently prioritizes physical blows over Ki blasts. Not here, where he decides that Vegeta's "shoot EVERYTHING" style is the best way to go against the guy immune to it because Toei had no idea how to make the fight last apart from making Goku suddenly become an idiot in the one thing he usually is not one.

He then proceeds to win with the Dragon Fist, which starts a trend in GT: untransformed, age-reverted Goku is the strongest form he has. Not Super Saiyan 4, that's for chumps. Base Little Goku is the strongest character in the goddamn show and the one to beat the strongest enemies.

Nothing of Super 17 makes any sense and the arc lasts very few episodes, so it just screams rushed. Because it was. The series was meant to end at Baby, Super 17 was made to fill episodes so the series could continue to sell Final Bout. And it shows, it's an arc with zero originality and plots that are stupid and nonsense even for GT.

In contrast, the next arc might have the single best idea of Dragon Ball in general...but being GT, the execution is terrible.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Your critique of Goku's out of character strategy against Super 17 is something I agree with strongly. I think it's also worth mentioning his sudden boost in arrogance during that fight. I still enjoyed the conclusion to the fight because -if nothing else- it made perfect sense with Super 17's gimmicks. I have an incredible bias in favor of gimmicky fights.

The next arc of GT is my personal favorite, and I like a couple of the fights there too! But just as with Super 17 I'll probably end up leaving out a lot of the nasty details either due to bad memory or personal priorities.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think King Enma heard Goku's wish and allowed for Majin Buu to be reborn as Uub.

Much as a chore GT was, it did have its moments of greatness. I also laughed at Goku once again, killing someone with a punch in the gut. If you thought the Baby Saga was bad, the Black Star Saga, the game unsurprisingly skipped over, tried to act like Dragon Ball, but the good guys had to pretend to be idiots and weaklings. Every character was already the strongest being ever and half the saga involved monster of the week encounters which got dragged out an extra episode, because transforming was now a last ditch effort.

Good thing villains don't suddenly get many times stronger just because they decided to train. Freezer would have Goku number of forms in the time that passed.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The penultimate video!

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I have to agree with you on the world building. Especially for the dark dragons. It's interesting to see that all the actions and "good" things the heroes have done over the years have actually had some consequences.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How may times do I have to tell you:

I never get tired of hearing Zophar speak. It was my favorite saga of GT. I can see why people consider it non-canon, since it acknowledges events that happened throughout the series, instead of being forgotten by Toriyama.
I admit that I love the design of Super 17, except for the lack of shoulder pads. Red Ribbon has some great outfits.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 20, 2017

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

So, if anyone is interested, I'll be streaming Raging Blast 2 tonight, around 9 PM EST. If you want to jump in on the fun, my Discord is RandomNinja#2127, or you can watch on twitch.tv/randomninjasa

I'll probably hop through a couple of different scenarios, just to show the sheer variety on the roster.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RandomNinja posted:

So, if anyone is interested, I'll be streaming Raging Blast 2 tonight, around 9 PM EST. If you want to jump in on the fun, my Discord is RandomNinja#2127, or you can watch on twitch.tv/randomninjasa

I'll probably hop through a couple of different scenarios, just to show the sheer variety on the roster.

Thanks, I definitely plan on showing up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll give praise where it is deserved: the Shadow Dragons were a really good idea and there's several pretty good moments in the arc. Four-Star is a very likable character, to the point that he's appeared in a lot of games afterwards due to sheer popularity alone (BT3, where he has Three-Star as his other costume; Xenoverse as DLC alongside Three-Star because nearly all the DLC there are reskins of existing characters; Fusions where he gets to fuse with Goku (oddly enough, base, not SS4) in the only GT-related fusion apart from the canonical SS4 Gogeta). Goku and Vegeta's Fusion is one of my favourite scenes ever, showing just how much Vegeta grew and Goku's positive reaction to it. Even when BoG and onwards would do the same but better, I still like that scene, perhaps even more because it showed and acknowledged Vegeta's growth first.

There's also one aggresively Goku moment where he loving eats the Four-Star Dragon Ball so One-Star can't take it back into his body. It's amazing.

Sadly that's about as much praise as I can give. Five out of seven dragons are lame as hell, with boring-rear end fights that are mostly gimmicky and underwhelming. Six out of seven rely on Goku and Goku alone, because GT truly means Goku Time. The Gogeta fight is terrible, being one-sided is fine if it feels earned but instead Gogeta acts like a complete dumbass until he times himself out, a gigantic contrast to how Gogeta was in Fusion Reborn (stoic, mostly silent, beats Janemba too quickly to get more than one line in). It truly feels like the writers either completely misunderstood Vegetto's character (while he was undeniably arrogant, he was very much focused on his goal, with his playing around being actually strategic to taunt Buu into absorbing him, so he could save everyone. Super shows exactly how Vegetto fights when he is focused only on the enemy, and he's ruthless and insanely overpowered...until the fusion times out) or decided all the Fusion Dances are Gotenks. Because Gogeta acts far more like Gotenks than he acts like himself, his Potara counterpart, or either of his fusees.

The whole fight against One-Star, apart from being underwhelming, is highly derivative, a big insult to an arc that had one of the most original ideas in the franchise. It's literally the Buu fight, Goku fights in his new form, loses, Vegeta joins in, they fuse, the fusion wins until it runs out, back to being beaten, Goku creates a Spirit Bomb (but now with the entire universe, because Dragon Ball, gotta keep raising the power levels) and wins. The end. The only big difference is the lack of absorptions, and even there you could say One-Star taking Four-Star back into himself is basically that, too. Because Kami knows Gohan wasn't going to do poo poo post-Buu, canon or otherwise...

One scene of the Shadow Dragons saga that no game ever adapts but I feel is...kind of good, though I'm ambivalent about it, is how Vegeta reaches Super Saiyan 4. He tells Bulma to shoot him with the Bruits Wave Generator to make him a Great Ape, logical since it worked for Baby in his body. The reasoning is solid: SS4 needs a Saiyan that recovers control of his Golden Great Ape form, Vegeta has already shown he can fully control the Great Ape form since his very first appearance, so there's nothing to fear!...Except Bulma, Gohan and Goku act as if this wasn't the case. Despite how Goku at the very least should fully know Vegeta can control the form. Gohan even tells Bulma to stop because it's too much of a risk, despite how he should know it is not.

By this point, I was crying "goddamn it GT". Vegeta also proceeds to rampage as a Great Ape, as if the writers had completely forgotten about it, even shooting the Bruits Wave Generator (although only hurting Satan, because gags). He then grabs Goku and...starts laughing. He was always in control, he was just loving around for funsies. He then immediately turns into Super Saiyan 4.

It's such a disjointed scene, I'm not sure if to call it genius or stupid. But it's definitely remained in me, so that's good, I guess?

About the game proper, this isn't a very good adaptation. In fact, it's basically not one at all, six out of seven dragons are skipped, the fight against One-Star is repetitive and goes nothing like in the show, and Vegeta actually has a role beyond pointlessly fusing with Goku. I'd say it's an improvement, even.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's also one aggresively Goku moment where he loving eats the Four-Star Dragon Ball so One-Star can't take it back into his body. It's amazing.

I really enjoyed this scene also.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It is time for the final video(s). First, Shenron video! Nothing too impressive, but like hell I'm gonna spend sixty videos recording this and not show Shenron.

Secondly, the very final video. This is that what-if story I mentioned back in the Buu Saga. Thank you everyone for an amazing ten months!

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you so much for this LP. It was one of my favourite games growing up and I'm glad I got to see it be done with justice. That final "what if" saga is really good! Aside from the one bit of bad writing. It really goes to show that the biggest flaw with the Majin Buu saga, is the Majin Buu part of it. Had it played out like this it would have been really satisfying. Actually. Even if Majin Buu got resurrected still, it would have been better if the lead up was like this. It actually feels more natural. I really felt like I was ripped off that we finally got to see a Tournament after so long. Not including the other world tournament. That wasn't very great. The last REAL one was all the way back in Dragon Ball.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Kaioshin's attendant was Kibit. They later unfused on their own because Super decided that had to happen.
For a show called Dragon Ball, it was appropriate for the franchise to end with destroying the corrupted balls.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Did the Dragon Balls only summon Shenlong in this game? I remember BT3 had Shenlong, Porunga or Ultimate Shenlong, depending entirely on luck.

Anyways, great job with the whole LP, GamesAreSupernice! BT2 is a great game and it's always nice to have more DB games LPed, as well as excuses to talk about the series. I'm definitely looking forward to whatever you do next...or currently, you sure handle a lot of LPs at once.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Did the Dragon Balls only summon Shenlong in this game? I remember BT3 had Shenlong, Porunga or Ultimate Shenlong, depending entirely on luck.

I think it depends on where exactly you use the balls.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm definitely looking forward to whatever you do next...or currently, you sure handle a lot of LPs at once.

There's Infinite World and DBZ Sagas on the horizon. And yeah, there's way too many games and too little time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That rock incident that Gohan had, was supposed to be practice on dodging. Goten surprisingly had a power level in the millions or so at this point and was lobbing rocks several yards away. Gohan told him to move further back. Just another example made out of that worthless Gohan and his ruining everything.

• Locked thread