Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
49ers: Overall B-

1 (7). DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon - A
This is a good pick. Regarded (by anyone not making a hot-rear end take) as a top 5 talent in the draft class, they got him at 7. Only downside is that he can't play QB. Should start immediately opposite his former college teammate, Arik Armstead - who is also 6'7".

1 (28). Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford - C+
A good player, but trading up to get him when there's questions about his fit in Chip Kelly's scheme (he has great feet, but his slide is slow and clumsy; doesn't bode well for outside zone plays) is a bit odd. "A" grade for the pick, "D" for the trade, "C" for the questions about fit.

3 (68). Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State - C
#TeamACL gains a new member. Boom or bust because of talent/injury. Baalke claims he'll be ready to play this season, but who knows how well. If healthy, could play slot, allowing Ward to replace Bethea at SS.

4 (133). Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU - C
Another boom or bust CB, this one has character concerns. Highly competitive (was out muscled by Mike Evans, but played him hard and held him to 50 yards in their matchup), but not very athletic. Could get a shot at outside corner, but probably just depth.

5 (142). Ronald Blair, DE, Appalachian State - B
Should be quality depth at any position along the d-line. Crazily versatile guy who moves like a linebacker. A good pick.

5 (145). John Theus, OT, Georgia - B
Has some issues with upper body strength, but that's probably the easiest thing for a lineman to improve in the NFL. Could eventually be a swing tackle.

5 (174). Fahn Cooper, OT, Ole Miss - B
I'm guessing they'll slide him inside to be a backup OG. Plays a little too bottom heavy to stay at the edges.

6 (207). Jeff Driskel, QB, Louisiana Tech - C
Who the gently caress knows?

6 (211). Kelvin Taylor, RB, Florida - A
Love this pick. Not a monstrously athletic guy, but he has the best moves in this draft class. Silky cuts. Favorite pick.

6 (213). Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State - B
They missed having a player nicknamed Tiny Hands on the team, apparently. Another highly competitive/non athletic guy. Kind of a weird trend for a Chip Kelly team.

7 (249). Prince Charles Iworah, CB, Western Kentucky - A
He's a seventh rounder named PRINCE CHARLES. Hell yes.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I love Rashard Robinson and rumors are that Seahawks were looking at him in the 5th. Absolutely a gamble but he's the exact type of player a team should take in the later rounds.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Chiefs draft was abysmal. I hate virtually every pick. Even outside of the Hill pick, nearly every selection was an extremely risky project. Jones is the replacement for DeVito and Ehringer is replacing Allen. That's it. Everyone else is a question mark and half of them will end up out of position.

We should have traded up for Lynch. Reid cost us the third with his dirty loving cheating and that definitely kept us from making a trade. A fourth and Knile Davis to Washington might have done it but we'll never know due to Dorsey's cowardice. Then we should have gotten Vonn Bell in the second, Rashard Higgins and Vadal Alexander in the fifth. Scooby Wright in the sixth and whoever in the seventh. I hate this draft entirely and can't believe Dorsey and Reid were so stupid as to get one maybe two real starters during a critical draft. This is just another year where the stars (Charles, Houston, Hali, DJ) have to carry the weight of Dorsey's mistakes (Smith, Ford, Fisher). We have an easy schedule finally and with only a couple of smart picks, we could go far. But, no, it's just going to be the same team with the same weaknesses and no real changes. Tyreek Hill really makes this draft one of the worst in KC history. Way worse than '09 for sure.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Chargers:

Round 1 - Joey Bosa, Defensive End

I'll be honest, at some point I completely forgot the Chargers COULD actually draft him in my breakdown of my top picks. They did so good of a job keeping under wraps that they wanted him that I discounted it as a possibility until the day of. But when I heard it, I shouted 'HOLY poo poo' at the screen because it's still a baller of a pick. Now that all said, I'm going to say something -- any analyst who dings the Chargers on the pick of Bosa because they should've taken Ronnie Stanley or Larmey Tunsil can be safely ignored as knowing fuckall about the Chargers real needs. Getting Bosa was 100% the right call and even if he busts and washes out of the league, I can not fault the Chargers for taking him because it is THE biggest need for this team, and he's objectively one of the best and safest picks of this year's draft. Grade: A

Round 2 -- Hunter Henry, Tight End

I was pissed at this pick initially. Think of a slightly less angry Ross when the Bosa pick came in. But let's be real, Tight End was a serious need for this team. Ladarius Green is gone, leaving Gates as the only reliable pass-catching tight end on this roster. Gates is 36. He's not going to realistically be with this team for much longer. For the best TE in this (extremely weak) class to be there in round 2, it's a no-brainer if you really look at it. It's a risk because Center is a critical need, and one is off the board already by this point, with no guarantee that the other two really good Centers will still be available by round 3. The Chargers rolled the dice on this, but still made a good pick. Grade: B+, but only because of the pick at round 3. Otherwise it'd be a C.

As a sidenote, I've seen some analysts ding the Chargers' draft for not selecting Myles Jack in round 2. Well no loving poo poo they didn't. They've done that before, his name is Shawn Merriman. A fantastic player for maybe 5 years till his leg blew out and he physically was unable to play anymore is not as attractive as it seems. gently caress that noise, I'll take a guy who can potentially be here for the next 10 years+ as a significant contributor.

Round 3 -- Max Tuerk, Center

It's still incredible to think that Tuerk was available in round 3. I know he had an ACL injury last year and is still rehabbing and might not be able to make it for the start of the season. But this guy is an instant upgrade at Center for this team. Trevor Robinson was the worst Center in the league last season. This isn't opinion, it's loving fact. Chris Watt, the actual starting center for this team, can't stay healthy. The backup is the literal worst. He's so bad, you can legitimately attribute some of the injuries to the left and right Guards to his terrible play. So for Tuerk to fall to round 3 and the Chargers to take him makes this quite possibly the most impactful draftee by this team. Grade: A-loving-plus

Round 4 -- Joshua Perry, ILB

This was an interesting pick. Not flashy, but there's a good reason for it: Manti Te'o. Joshua Perry was drafted to light a fire under Te'o's rear end and see if he can live up to his own potential. Perry is actually a teammate of Bosa and the two killed it in college. Also, Perry provides potential depth at ILB where the Chargers are frighteningly thin at. After Denzel Perryman and Manti Te'o, there's something called a Nick Dzubnar, and that's it. But more to the point, Perry has one thing going for him: he's a sure tackler, something Te'o is not. Maybe Te'o has some ~intangibles~ that the team likes, but if he can't make a goddamned tackle when he's in position, that can lose games. Perry is this team hedging its bets against Te'o being terrible. If that happens, they can let him walk this year and move on. Grade: B

As an aside, this is the first time Tom Telesco, the Charger's GM, has not traded a 4th round pick and actually drafted in it instead.

Round 5 -- Jatavis Brown, OLB

All the information I can find about him is that he played in a small conference (the MAC, whatever that stands for), but absolutely terrorized it. If he had played at that level in the SEC, he'd be a 2nd rounder easily. He has the speed and frame to play Safety, and potentially be a drop into coverage guy, something this team generally lacks. I can see him making it on special teams or upstaging one of the rotational players at the lower end of the OLB position, but he'd have an extraordinarily hard time breaking in as a full-time starter. Grade: B-

Round 6 -- Drew Kaser, P; Derek Watt, FB

In round 6, finding actual starters is extraordinary. Getting good special teams contributors is completely doable, and a punter and fullback do exactly that. Mike Scifres, the previous punter, had to be let go because he wasn't the same after getting murdered by the Patriots in 2014 from a blown block by an :effort: shithead who's no longer on the team. So, Kaser is the guy. Watt, and yes he's related to JJ Watt, gives this team new options on offense that it hasn't had before. He's here to make Melvin Gordon better and justify all that this team spent to get him last year. If he can't loving make it with a hugely improved O-Line and his old fullback from college, then call him the next Trent Richardson and we can move on. Watt gives Gordon every chance to succeed, and if that happens then spending a 6th to make this team's run game work again is more than worth it. My gripe is that I really really wanted one of the other two fullbacks, Dan Vitale or Glenn Gronkowski. Little Gronk went as a UDFA to Buffalo, so he was available. Grade: A for Kaser, B- for Watt.

Round 7 -- Donovan Clark, G

I don't expect a 7th round pick to be anything more than a priority UDFA choice. The team wants to check him out without other teams having a chance to get to him in the day-after frenzy. It's understandable. I haven't seen any footage of his work, so I really don't know what else to say. He's here to compete as depth for an O-Line that sorely need it with the sheer number of injuries they've sustained over the last two years. God have mercy on him. Grade: B

The Bottom Line

4 immediate starters, 2 quality depth players, a fullback to give our running backs a chance is an extraordinary draft. There was none of Telesco's panic trade-ups for once, likely thanks to just being positioned so early in every round. This is the best draft by this regime since they came in at the start of 2013. For once, I don't have to justify or rationalize the picks. They're just good without any caveats or asterisks forcing a longer answer. It's a safe draft, but one I can say actually makes this team significantly better. In my opinion, if this team can't make it back to a winning season, it's past time for a coaching change because there's no reason this group of players along with their newest draftees can't succeed. They've been given what they need to make the offense, defense and special teams get going again, and with far less bullshit about moving to LA to distract. The only ding on this draft is that they didn't seriously address their need at Safety. However, addressing Center, Defensive End, Tight End, ILB, Punter and even getting a fullback just hits so many checkboxes that I can't fault them for letting that one go. And since they did add a decent safety in free agency, I think we can call this a draft.

Overall Grade: A

aperion fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 6, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Merriman was 100% my poo poo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Metapod posted:

Merriman was 100% my poo poo

Yeah until your loving coach crippled him :mad:

Merriman has been doing more to keep the Chargers here than any former player and he's still one of my top five favorite Chargers ever. Lights out bitch.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
He hosed Tila Tequila though and that instantly makes him the worst

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He hosed Tila Tequila though and that instantly makes him the worst

He did shots with me in vegas once tho

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
They serve zima in shots?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

They serve zima in shots?

they were kamikazes

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Ross Angeles posted:

they were kamikazes

So yes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

they were kamikazes

:sad:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The browns draft was quite good, unless Carson Wentz turns out to be good, in which case then it was actually bad, rather than good

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I like how the Eagles draft is a giant coinflip.

Bit unsure about our depth still, O-Line seems to have been beefed up a bit and it seems like Roseman's draft was building around Wentz, lets pray to poo poo hes good.

CB is still going to be a huge problem this year but our front 7 looks beastly.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I didn't mean to disrespect taking Merriman, and on looking back, I was a lot more harsh on that pick than I meant to be. The only takeaway I was trying to put in about Merriman is that it's really hard to knock a team for not wanting to roll the dice on someone who's got a serious injury history already and might only be around for a few years. It's a defense of not taking Myles Jack, and nothing more.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Febreeze posted:

THE NEW YORK SORT OF FOOTBALL GIANTS :words:

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote here, but I just found out that the Jets tried to get the #10 pick from the Giants for the #20+ a 2nd rounder. I really think Apple would've still been there at 20 and we could have desperately used that 2nd round pick so I have to downgrade the Giants draft to Fire Jerry Reese Into The Sun

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

v2vian man posted:

The browns draft was quite good, unless Carson Wentz turns out to be good, in which case then it was actually bad, rather than good

B++, all things considered.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

v2vian man posted:

Even if he is good, it's not like the Browns wouldn't ruin him.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

seiferguy posted:

Seattle Seahawks

Round 6, Pick 40 (215) – Joey Hunt, C, TCU: Undersized for an offensive linemen, and likely can’t add mass to his frame. He’s got good football IQ, but being undersized with Trump-sized hands he’s had a tendency to hold. This looks like a lottery pick to see if there’s anything there, but overall I really don’t anticipate him being on the team come 53-man. Grade: C-

I kept hearing that he was undersized so I looked up the other centers in this draft and a few in the pros. Also, I'm not really sure how tall/big he is. The sources vary by 6'2" and 300 to 6'0" and 295. If Hunt is the former measurements, then most of the center's were only an inch or two taller and maybe 10 pounds heavier. That doesn't seem like an impossible barrier. But if he's the latter dimensions that will be an issue.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
This is a dumb list of draft rankings but lol offseason-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000662004/article/2016-nfl-draft-class-power-rankings-teams-18

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That's a really stupid way to determine draft winners and losers. You earn the same points using #13 for the #1 overall guy that you would if you drafted him at #1??

It's basically allowing anyone to just trade down a bunch. Ignoring every type of system and scheme.

Howard was an overdraft tho, I agree. Disagree on Carroo. I think he's a 2nd round talent at WR.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I kind of agree with those general rankings except for Oakland but yeah ^^^ their point system is a bad methodology

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I kind of agree with those general rankings except for Oakland but yeah ^^^ their point system is a bad methodology

Oakland had a really good draft.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I like any draft grades that says the Chargers did good because they did.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Ross Angeles posted:

I like any draft grades that says the Chargers did good because they did.

Maybe the Chargers will win 5 games this season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

incompetent posted:

Maybe the Chargers will win 5 games this season.

8-8 imo

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

You only play the Browns once, man.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Bills draft is now a D, btw, pending the enlarged aorta retiring Reggie Ragland before he takes his first NFL snap.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

AAA DOLFAN posted:

That's a really stupid way to determine draft winners and losers. You earn the same points using #13 for the #1 overall guy that you would if you drafted him at #1??

It's basically allowing anyone to just trade down a bunch. Ignoring every type of system and scheme.

Howard was an overdraft tho, I agree. Disagree on Carroo. I think he's a 2nd round talent at WR.

Isn't it generally accepted that trading down to get more picks and accumulate more prospects is the optimal long-term strategy?

I actually like that system of grading, because the sole metric is how many top 100 players did you get.

I kind of want to see a breakdown of that grading system and how it corrolates to success.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don't think Oakland was that great of a draft.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I don't think Oakland was that great of a draft.

I thought the Raiders did better in free agency than the draft, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Fenrir posted:

I thought the Raiders did better in free agency than the draft, tbh

That's because they plugged holes with their FA signings and drafted BPA. One starter, three heavy rotation guys, three depth and special teams.

• Locked thread