Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

FizFashizzle posted:

Probably a C+/B- overall

Panthers took a bunch of projects that fit their system and don't really stand out. It's difficult to see how these guys will progress. They're luckily in a very forgiving setting for secondary player. Butler is going to loving own.

I think you are nuts. You had a fantastic team before the draft and got relatively fair value at most of your picks while addressing the only real hole on your team. In addition you added tremendous upside depth at DL, which is how you win championships. Panthers draft is a B+ or better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

warcrimes posted:

How many O-linemen were drafted?

I don't think giving up pressure to a historically great defense in one (albeit important) game is cause for much alarm. The offensive line wasn't bad during the regular season. Whereas the CB situation was relatively alarming, and is a more easily exploited weakness. Most draft picks don't pan out, so I really like shotgun'ing the position of need with many picks and hopefully one pans out sooner rather than later.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

warcrimes posted:

Shotgunning a position of need might be the dumbest draft strategy I've ever heard. With all due respect.

Why?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Seattle Seahawks

Biggest Team Needs: OL (huge gap), DT, CB/RB Depth

1st: Germain Ifedi Offensive Tackle Texas A&M
Traded down (great), addressed biggest team need (great), was high value at end of first (great). High upside, raw, likely to start at guard according to coaches.
A+

2nd: Jarran Reed Defensive Tackle Alabama
Traded up (bad), addressed second biggest team need (good), was exceptional value in the mid second (fantastic). Was never asked to rush the passer, but is the consensus best run-blocker in the draft. I don't like that we traded up, because there were great C and OG players available, but the value of Reed in the mid second is too good.
A+

3rd: C. J. Prosise Running Back Notre Dame
About as high as I'd take a running back. Should compete immediately as 3rd down/backup running back which is needed depth. Played mainly WR in college, and is great at catching and working in space. Normally I'd knock this pick down for not getting more OL/DL/CB, but I didn't love any of the available prospects at those positions at this pick.
A

3rd: Nick Vannett Tight End Ohio State
Appropriately valued at the end of the third round. Did blocking, and also split wide into the slot. Who knows how Jimmy Graham will play after his injury, so TE depth is welcome. It's a fine pick but there were OL and DT prospects right there that I wanted.
B

3rd: Rees Odhiambo Guard Boise State
Addressed the biggest need, but this fella was expected to go 5-7, not end of the 3rd. He's extremely raw because due to injuries he never played a full season. He has tremendous upside, but is unlikely to reach that level. Still, he is welcome depth. My main complaint is that he was drafted far too early.
C-

5th: Quinton Jefferson Defensive Tackle Maryland
5th: Alex Collins Running Back Arkansas
6th: Joey Hunt Center TCU
7th: Kenny Lawler Wide Receiver California
7th: Zac Brooks Running Back Clemson

I don't know anything about these prospects but I like that the FO continued to address their needs in OL, DL, and RB.

TLDR:
Every unit on the Seahawks roster is "okay" or better, except for the Offensive Line which was absolutely terrible. It's the only glaring weakness on an otherwise Superbowl Caliber team and Seattle spent as many picks addressing it as I could reasonably expect a non-TFFer to make. The Seahawks got great value at positions of need with their top picks, then continued to gather depth. Even if the high upside picks don't pan out, I love the strategic decision to take them.

Grade: A

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Is Ifedi playing guard or tackle? He's got a lot of work to do as either.

Coaches say start at RG and see if he can eventually swing outside. I agree he has a lot of work to do, and I am skeptical that Cable is the coach to bring out his best. At the same time, the OL last year was truly terrible (2nd in sacks+qb hits). And this offseason Seattle lost its LT and RG to FA, so they'd be even worse. If Ifedi plays the season at below-replacement-level, he would still be an improvement.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I think he was to most teams? Because the reaction to that Stanford guard was hardly effusive. But yeah I was shocked he fell so far and was hoping Seattle went for him.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I love Rashard Robinson and rumors are that Seahawks were looking at him in the 5th. Absolutely a gamble but he's the exact type of player a team should take in the later rounds.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

seiferguy posted:

Seattle Seahawks

Round 6, Pick 40 (215) – Joey Hunt, C, TCU: Undersized for an offensive linemen, and likely can’t add mass to his frame. He’s got good football IQ, but being undersized with Trump-sized hands he’s had a tendency to hold. This looks like a lottery pick to see if there’s anything there, but overall I really don’t anticipate him being on the team come 53-man. Grade: C-

I kept hearing that he was undersized so I looked up the other centers in this draft and a few in the pros. Also, I'm not really sure how tall/big he is. The sources vary by 6'2" and 300 to 6'0" and 295. If Hunt is the former measurements, then most of the center's were only an inch or two taller and maybe 10 pounds heavier. That doesn't seem like an impossible barrier. But if he's the latter dimensions that will be an issue.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I kind of agree with those general rankings except for Oakland but yeah ^^^ their point system is a bad methodology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don't think Oakland was that great of a draft.

• Locked thread