Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I liked all of the Chargers selections except for the Derek Watt one. Bosa probably isn't a guy that will give you 10+ sacks a year, but he's certainly a capable pass rusher and I love his game against the run, which is important for the Chargers because they've been so awful at run D for a while. He can line up inside, outside and offers a lot of flexibility in that regard. Perry and Brown give them some addition flexibility as ILB depth on top of this - Perry is a thumper and could really help Perryman and the d-line out against the run, while Brown is probably going to be an immediate ST ace and could be very good in pass coverage with some experience.

Meanwhile Hunter Henry and Max Tuerk help the offense out, both in the short and long term. I really love Tuerk, he wasn't physically the strongest C in the draft, but he's really athletic and covers a lot of ground when he's going to the second level in a run play or screen, and hopefully he will help pick up on the A-gap blitz. Having a center unable to do those three things have absolutely killed the Chargers the last couple of seasons, so even if he's merely a competent player, he's still already a massive upgrade over Watt/Robinson. Henry probably isn't going to catch a lot of passes this year, but he'll be Gates' heir apparent and based on what I saw of him, he looks like a good blocker. The Chargers haven't had a TE than can do that in the running game in forever.

Overall i'm quite happy with the Chargers draft, totally the opposite from last season. It concerns me that they didn't address safety at all, but maybe they're rolling with the idea that their front 7 + their very good CB group can make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread