Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's time for our annual rate your draft thread. Let’s see how terrible we all are in the next 3 years with eyeballing a draft.

Seattle Seahawks

Team needs going into the draft (in order): OL, DL, CB, LB, RB

Round 1, Pick 31 (31) – Germain Ifedi, OL, Texas A&M: First thing, Seattle traded up from 26 to 31 and got a 3rd round pick from Denver, which is an excellent value with only moving up 5 places. Now, about Ifedi, he’s a physical specimen with a lot of physical tools, but his technique needs work. Tom Cable thinks he can probably teach that, but I’m a little skeptical. He’s already slotted for guard to replace JR Sweezy, which means it’ll be an easy replacement. But for first round talent, I’m not sure how good he’ll be. Grade: B+ (A for the trade, B- for the pick)

Round 2, Pick 18 (49) – Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama: This is probably the best pick of the draft. Reed is a fantastic interior linemen that can handle double teams and defending against the run. Seattle lost a big spot in Brandon Mebane, and he’s a perfect replacement for him. He can play every down too. He has some issues in pass rush, but no player is going to be perfect. He should have been picked mid 1st round, so Seattle did a fantastic job trading up for him. Grade: A

Round 3, Pick 27 (90) – CJ Prosise, RB, Notre Dame: This is a pretty good pick. Prosise should easily slot behind Rawls as a 2nd string RB, and was a former WR, so he could easily line up on the outside if necessary. He has a few issues with ball control, so I’m hoping he doesn’t become another Christine Michael, but either way, he has very good breakaway speed, which is something Lynch didn’t have. Grade: B

Round 3, Pick 32 (94) – Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State: TE wasn’t an immediate thought for the draft, but this is actually not a bad pick. Jimmy Graham is still recovering from injury, and Luke Willson still isn’t very good. Vannett is really good at run blocking, so considering Seattle’s O-line state, this is an excellent pick. He’s a little boring at route running and doesn’t do a great job getting separation from defenders, so I don’t anticipate seeing a lot of passes to him. Grade: B

Round 3, Pick 35 (97) – Rees Odhiambo, OL, Boise State: Ehh, not a fan of this pick. He’s a bit undersized, but versatile. He’s also not been able to play a full season yet. Mocks had him going in the 6th or 7th round so this is a pretty big reach by Seattle. But they’ve always been weird about their offensive line picks, and to little surprise, the Tom Cable era line usually sucks. Grade: C-

Round 5, Pick 8 (147) – Quinton Jefferson, DL, Maryland: Scouts looooove that he’s already married with 3 kids. He looks to be a rotational guy on the outside, as well as a depth pick. He looks to be a decent pass rusher, but he’s had a torn ACL, so injury health will be an issue. Overall, not a bad depth pick, and could contribute in a limited quality. Grade: B

Round 5, Pick 34 (171) – Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas: Mocks had this guy going in the 3rd round, so getting him in the 5th doesn’t seem too bad. However, Seattle already drafted an RB, which makes me a bit concerned about the health of Rawls’ ankle. Collins has good speed, but is somewhat one-dimensional, and had a fumbling problem. If Seattle hadn’t drafted an RB already, I’d feel good about this pick, but considering the other needs of the team, it felt a little odd for the team to take him here. Grade: C+

Round 6, Pick 40 (215) – Joey Hunt, C, TCU: Undersized for an offensive linemen, and likely can’t add mass to his frame. He’s got good football IQ, but being undersized with Trump-sized hands he’s had a tendency to hold. This looks like a lottery pick to see if there’s anything there, but overall I really don’t anticipate him being on the team come 53-man. Grade: C-

Round 7, Pick 22 (243) – Kenny Lawler, WR, Cal: Tall, stocky WR with big hands, decent speed that was one of Jared Goff’s favorite targets. He has good speed, but is a little inconsistent in his route runs. Overall, though he looks to be really good value in round 7, and I could easily see him being the 4th WR after Baldwin, Lockett, and Kearse. Grade: B+

Round 7, Pick 26 (247) – Zac Brooks, RB, Clemson: Seattle took 3 RBs. I don’t even know anymore. Grade: INC

Final thoughts: Seattle usually does odd picks that surprises everyone. This one wasn’t that. We got a O-line and D-line player that should immediately fill in, and we will have a good 3rd down RB (Prosise’s comp was Fred Jackson, our 3rd down RB last season). I think Vannett will help shore up the outside blocking. Outside of Ifedi, I don’t really care for the offensive line picks. I think Odhiambo is an injury liability, and Hunt is way too undersized for the NFL. I don’t feel we adequately addressed the offensive line enough. The fact that Seattle grabbed 3 RBs seems concerning to me. Overall, Seattle did mostly address their two main concerns with Ifedi and Reed, but I don’t know how the team will exactly replace Bruce Irvin next year, and that wasn't addressed in the draft. We usually draft a CB in each draft for depth, which is something we didn't do this season. For what it's worth, Seattle got a lot of UDFA LBs, so I imagine one of them is going to be making the team. I also wouldn't be surprised if Vernon Adams gets the backup job at QB too. Overall grade: B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shadowhand00 posted:

Only thing I'd change here is that Lawler is super skinny rather than stocky:

Whoops, yeah. That was a brain fart on my post. But to add: I think he's really good value for a 7th rounder and will probably make the team.

• Locked thread