Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

KingEup posted:

This is correct.

Also Dawn Goons were actually pretty good: http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/replays.php?game=47&show=details&id=153013

Why Relic why.

Shockingly enough, if Dawn Goons still played I'd probably still multiplayer to this day. Rolling around with a big mob of boyz to krump some chaosy gits will never get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Ninja flipping terminator armor Gabriel Angelos is actively making me miss Force Commander Vanilla Ice from DoW2.

I don't know, it just looks like they are trying a little too hard to ape on Starcraft 2's style. Say what you will about DoW 2 but the art and the animations made it unique when compared to things like Starcraft or DotA

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hard counter posted:

It's weird but I agree?

RTSes can get beardy when you know that exactly 5 missile hits will scrap a tough model or that 2 ranged volleys kills an elite model. You adjust your micro to achieve peak kills per action and ideally your whole army is feed exact firing instructions. Having a dreadnought eat 7 missiles and still not go down because he went full :black101: on some boyz and had the i-frames tanking for him is both warham as hell and inflicts diminishing returns on excessive micro, lessening the RTS's entry.

I hope they at least keep random critical hits.

I mean, DoW2 struck the right balance with the sync kills in that they were significantly rarer and were generally variations of 'Grab -> Hit once with weapon -> Throw over shoulder' or 'Headbut -> Big swing' that were over in about a second. You really didn't have DoW1 style dreadnoughts/killa kan 'Grab a dude, stomp around for a second, crush and/or cut enemy, slam enemy into ground once or twice, stomp around some more for good measure, toss backwards or over shoulder' that lasted multiple seconds. Granted DoW2 has some longer/cooler sync kills like the walkers killing other walkers or the SM force commander killing a carnifex, but if you saw those the fight was generally over and IIRC the syncing unit wasn't invincible and could still be killed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dow1 had really cartoony animations, but they had a lot of them, including reactions to damage. Units actually flinching was great. I think I will miss dawn if war 2's loony physics engine the most

Dawn of War 2 did really great at giving units the feeling of weight and impact that I'm just not seeing in this. Look at the parts of the above videos where Assault marines jump in on the guardians. From the time the marines land to the time everyone is dead, they just plant their feet and trade blows until everyone falls down. In Dawn of War 2 an ASM jumping in on a guardian squad would send bodies flying and you'd see the ASMs zipping from enemy to enemy doing their dark work. In this game they may have fixed the units from looking like they were carved out of plastic since the early previews, but they still look and animate like they are.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Is this even on the CoH/DoW2 engine? The more I see of it the more the comparisons to Starcraft 2 ring in my head. God the 'straight formation line of orks standing perfectly still exchanging fire with a straight formation line of eldar standing perfectly still until one of the groups falls over' stuff that keeps showing up in these preview videos is so loving bad.

It's like they forgot all the fun animation, physics, and AI work they did in DoW 2. I loved that the units in 2 had a bit of self autonomy and would do things like duck and move for nearby cover when gunfights started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It's me, I'm the guy that will defend DoW 2 to death, even when the balance was particularly loathsome (and I say this as a primarily ork player, who were consistently poo poo tiered for a long, long time). I loved that there wasn't any base building because that put the focus toward the middle of the map, capping territory and getting in scraps. I loved that you dealt with about 10 units max and the fact that even your t1 lovely chaff could gain experience and level up to stay relevant into the mid/late game and encourage you to not needlessly throw your units away. I loved that if left unattended, your guys would dive for cover and generally behave like they had even minimal agency rather than the starcraft style "plant feet in ground and shoot until death happens, my own or otherwise". I went back and tried Dawn of War 1 a few months ago and that really has not aged well in hindsight.

Honestly though, I hope that if they ever do another 40k RTS, they do something completely different like Epic Armageddon in the style of Eugen's Wargame series. Something so large scale that your space marine battle barbies are tiny fleas skittering around a titan legion.

• Locked thread