Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GlyphGryph posted:

Definitely paint first. Touching up paint is much easier and lower risk than doing a full paint job, and if you mess it up a bit and have fix it that seems a lot better than having to fix the tiles.

So how much does all the water and scrubbing involved with tiling (grout etc) gently caress up the paint? Because that's my big concern. The paint I'm using is Sherwin Williams Super Paint which is pretty OK, but I can absolutely see spots in other rooms where I've had to spot clean something and its visible. I'm just wary of having a band along the bottom that's obviously been painted over because I had to clean up hosed up looking paint after getting grout off it, and then having to just do the whole wall again to not have visible paint patches in my recently refreshed room.

I've done plenty of painting and next to zero tiling, and looking up what I need to do to stick this single dumb row of tile up I'm really concerned I'll end up having to repaint the walls anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So how much does all the water and scrubbing involved with tiling (grout etc) gently caress up the paint? Because that's my big concern. The paint I'm using is Sherwin Williams Super Paint which is pretty OK, but I can absolutely see spots in other rooms where I've had to spot clean something and its visible. I'm just wary of having a band along the bottom that's obviously been painted over because I had to clean up hosed up looking paint after getting grout off it, and then having to just do the whole wall again to not have visible paint patches in my recently refreshed room.

I've done plenty of painting and next to zero tiling, and looking up what I need to do to stick this single dumb row of tile up I'm really concerned I'll end up having to repaint the walls anyways.

Get some of this and attach to wall (tape side on bottom, obv more tape to hold it up) so that you won't make a mess on the wall with the grout. E Z

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

oh rly posted:

I'm in So Cal living in a high fire risk area in Chino Hills. No insurance company will cover us without using CA Fair Plan for fire except State Farm.

We've owned this house two years and insurance has gone from 3200 to 3300 to 4000 per year with State Farm. I doubt they would give us a new policy so we're kinda grandfathered in.

Were staying with state farm at 4k per year because they aren't requiring us to go with CA Fair Plan as well.

Any insurance company who wants us to use CA Fair Plan wants 6k+ per year.

State Farm just raised our rates 20% this year instead of canceling us. I expect to be not renewed with State Farm for 2025.

MarcusSA posted:

I am with State Farm and my dad is with State Farm (has been for 30+ years) and we both expect to not be renewed soon. He’s up in Paso Robles in a high fire area as well.

Huh, I'm also in So Cal (951 woot) and also use State Farm. From what I can gather looking at the firemaps, I'm not in a high-risk area but my call this year for comparing rates was met with ??? regarding my zip code hence my question. I think I'm going to cautiously put down the phone and just keep State Farm given everything else I'm hearing on here. Thanks for the heads up

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Get some of this and attach to wall (tape side on bottom, obv more tape to hold it up) so that you won't make a mess on the wall with the grout. E Z

Get some of what? If there's supposed to be a link you didn't link it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Get some of what? If there's supposed to be a link you didn't link it.

My bad: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-ScotchBlue-Pre-Taped-24-In-x-30-Yds-Painter-s-Plastic-Sheeting-With-Dispenser-1-Roll-PTD2093EL-24-s/204344770

Obviously you can also just get some plastic sheeting and tape it on yourself.

Assuming it is a fresh paint job and you use quality paint (SuperPaint is quality imho), repainting a section should blend in no problem.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd hazard a guess that there's a substantial amount of residue in the toilet innards, and since you can't get in there to scrub it, it's just slowly working its way free from the movement of water. The bleach has probably killed it all at this point though.

Yeah if you Google "cutaway toilet" there's an alarming amount of surface area for crap to grow in there, that you'll never be able to see. Probably 6x what you can see in the bowl, maybe more. It's probably all dead but without mechanical scrubbing, the dead algae is going to waft out of there periodically for a couple of weeks

You might try to flush 2 gallons of pool grade chlorine through it (about $20), and let it sit in the bowl overnight now that new dead algae has been exposed and let it oxidize and it'll release from the toilet faster

Whatever you do, don't pee in pool grade chlorine toilet water, it will release toxic gas. Flush it 5+ times before using it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sirotan posted:

My bad: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-ScotchBlue-Pre-Taped-24-In-x-30-Yds-Painter-s-Plastic-Sheeting-With-Dispenser-1-Roll-PTD2093EL-24-s/204344770

Obviously you can also just get some plastic sheeting and tape it on yourself.

Assuming it is a fresh paint job and you use quality paint (SuperPaint is quality imho), repainting a section should blend in no problem.

Kind of surprised I hadn't thought of taping off. Still a bit uneasy, but then I think I might just be paranoid from the last room I did and what a nightmare patching small fuckups in the paint was.

And in my very recent experience with Super Paint no, it doesn't blend for poo poo on subsequent coats. I did a room in a very pleasant light green where any patches are extremely visible. Put down a coat of good primer to kill the color under it (which was a pretty normal grey) etc . Great stuff after it dries as far as durability, goes on nicely, but if I spot a gently caress up I end up re-doing the whole wall. Frankly probably using a different product down the road.

I guess I'm painting first.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Assuming this is a bathroom you might want to use Duration instead of SuperPaint here anyway, I know that is what SW recommends because it has some kind of addictive to make it mold and mildew resistant.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Assuming this is a bathroom you might want to use Duration instead of SuperPaint here anyway, I know that is what SW recommends because it has some kind of addictive to make it mold and mildew resistant.

Already have the paint so that’s a non starter.

We’ve never had any mold or mildew problems with the existing paint which is whatever cheap poo poo thr PO did the whole house in for sale (with the paint at least - the loving wooden floor trim is anther story)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We’d like to redo our bathrooms but our neighbors have not shared any tips or who they have used in the past.

Both bathrooms have all original equipment save for one toilet which is within 3 years old. The other stuff is all from 1987.

We’re not looking to turn anything upside down, but we need a new tub, new flooring, and a new vanity. We put some light fixtures in when we moved in (to get rid of the gold plated stuff), and we’ve painted the walls a color we like, but that’s it.

So what’s the best way to go about this? Hire a general contractor to get someone to subcontractor the floor, tub, vanity install?

Should we buy the vanity ourselves and hire someone for the floor and the tub?

Just not sure the right way to go.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Internet says I can get a skylight installed for $2500

That seems... Low? My home office has a SW exposure but it's a little dark because the window is 80% as big as it ought to be

We have 4 existing skylights and they don't appear to be leaking, and bring in a ton of light despite having a northern exposure.

The correct time to do the skylight is when we do the roof, but we've got at least 10 years before we need to do the roof

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

quote:

... Should we buy the vanity ourselves and hire someone for the floor and the tub...

Know the cost of all the parts you want - sometimes the contractor will have hook ups or get extra (volume) discounts, so it's better to source through them - also becomes their problem if there's a mistake. But you need to know what they normally cost first as a baseline.

The contractors that ask you to buy the parts are generally the worse ones and won't honour any warranty if you can find them - they can't buy them because their credit is that bad or other shady reasons*

* that being said, I dealt with a crew that did exactly that and they were great and in/out as fast as they could so they could get to their next job. They just wanted you to buy the parts and have it there for them to come in and install them.

unknown fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 26, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

No way in hell.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

nwin posted:

We’d like to redo our bathrooms but our neighbors have not shared any tips or who they have used in the past.

Both bathrooms have all original equipment save for one toilet which is within 3 years old. The other stuff is all from 1987.

We’re not looking to turn anything upside down, but we need a new tub, new flooring, and a new vanity. We put some light fixtures in when we moved in (to get rid of the gold plated stuff), and we’ve painted the walls a color we like, but that’s it.

So what’s the best way to go about this? Hire a general contractor to get someone to subcontractor the floor, tub, vanity install?

Should we buy the vanity ourselves and hire someone for the floor and the tub?

Just not sure the right way to go.

Installing your own vanity is piss easy. It's basically a table with that you screw two little hoses and a pipe into. If it goes flush to the wall (most do) caulk the top of it where it runs up against the wall and boom your done. Really the only thing you can screw up is not tightening the hoses enough and having a leak, or somehow loving up the p-trap. If you've got modern plumbing it's nothing, if you've got old plumbing you might need to wrench on some old steel pipes.

I'm a certified idiot (see above posts about paint) and minus the caulking I can take mine out and put it back in in about 10 minutes (we need both sinks, so as I've been getting bathroom repairs done in bursts of free time I've been having to put it back in until the next round of bathroom work).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I have a saw and will do it for you for $250.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

m0therfux0r posted:

So, as everyone suggested, I did end up putting a Clorox puck in the tank. It's definitely working as far as making whatever is floating up significantly less visible (though I must admit I really hate the chlorine smell). It's been in there for a little over a week. However, I noticed that stuff is still floating up- it's really hard to see unless you're looking for it, but it's there- it's just bleached now so it's really difficult to see. Does that mean it's actually killing whatever's in there or that it's just a different color now? The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to leave a bleach puck in there all the time- I know it's bad for the toilet components, and I hate how I get blasted with "old pool" smell every time I start peeing. So if that means it's not "killing" it, I'd rather move onto something else.

I hate posts that don't give enough information, the thread can't answer your question until you tell us what the water tastes like

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

A coworker is buying a new construction home and passing on an inspection because they can’t afford it. RIP

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

There is no way a skylight costs $2500. No way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How the gently caress can they not afford a $300 inspection if they’re buying a new build

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Upgrade posted:

A coworker is buying a new construction home and passing on an inspection because they can’t afford it. RIP

lol is someone buying the house for them, what is happening

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe they mean they can’t afford all the problems an inspection will reveal, so they’re choosing ignorance?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Ashcans posted:

Maybe they mean they can’t afford all the problems an inspection will reveal, so they’re choosing ignorance?

You're just inviting more bills, really.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Well if they’re “buying” it then they haven’t closed on the house, and even if they did new builds come with warranties

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hadlock posted:

That seems... Low? My home office has a SW exposure but it's a little dark because the window is 80% as big as it ought to be

We have 4 existing skylights and they don't appear to be leaking, and bring in a ton of light despite having a northern exposure.

The correct time to do the skylight is when we do the roof, but we've got at least 10 years before we need to do the roof

If you just want light then a tubular skylight like a Solatube or Velux Sun Tunnel would be a better solution. They neatly fit between rafters, can (to some degree) maneuver around obstacles, and don't require any more ceiling refinishing than a new can light. All that makes them much cheaper to install despite the actual unit potentially costing more.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cyrano4747 posted:

Installing your own vanity is piss easy. It's basically a table with that you screw two little hoses and a pipe into. If it goes flush to the wall (most do) caulk the top of it where it runs up against the wall and boom your done. Really the only thing you can screw up is not tightening the hoses enough and having a leak, or somehow loving up the p-trap. If you've got modern plumbing it's nothing, if you've got old plumbing you might need to wrench on some old steel pipes.

I'm a certified idiot (see above posts about paint) and minus the caulking I can take mine out and put it back in in about 10 minutes (we need both sinks, so as I've been getting bathroom repairs done in bursts of free time I've been having to put it back in until the next round of bathroom work).

Yeah so the vanity I’m fine with. We have toyed with making it a dual sink vanity instead of single like we currently have in the master bath…that plumbing might be outside of my scope. We also don’t think it would work well with our space (max width of 54”)

I’m not fine ripping linoleum out and putting new linoleum in (haven’t thought about putting tile in…it’s not in any other part of the house). I’m also not going to mess with dropping a new tub/shower combo in. Beyond my scope.

So it’s mainly flooring and the tub/shower that I would need to contract out.

For those, should I get the flooring done first or the tub?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well if they’re “buying” it then they haven’t closed on the house, and even if they did new builds come with warranties

Also, depending on where you live, many municipalities require certificates of occupancy on new builds, which requires a pretty thorough inspection.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

If you just want light then a tubular skylight like a Solatube or Velux Sun Tunnel would be a better solution. They neatly fit between rafters, can (to some degree) maneuver around obstacles, and don't require any more ceiling refinishing than a new can light. All that makes them much cheaper to install despite the actual unit potentially costing more.

We have two in our bedroom and two in our sitting room and they just pour in light; and I love the way the sun tracks/clocks through the room throughout the day. And then the moonlight during a full moon, too. :swoon: I want them as big as possible. Guessing, but the existing ones look like they're 24x36" and fit between the rafters.

Tangential side note the room I had in high school had blackout shades before we moved in, I was an absolute zombie because I'd stay up all night and sleep past noon because there was no sense of time passing; this is the first house where I actually wake up naturally because it's so goddamn bright in here by 7am.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I actually wake up naturally because it's so goddamn bright in here by 7am.

This sounds terrible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It gives me like 20 minutes of personal time before my toddler wakes up and and starts screaming it's pretty great

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

swickles posted:

Also, depending on where you live, many municipalities require certificates of occupancy on new builds, which requires a pretty thorough inspection.

It's not the kind of thorough a home owner worried about quality/maintainabiklity cares about. C of O inspections are pretty much universally occupant safety and tenant rights: smoke detectors and hand rails, proper heating and plumbing and hot water, trip hazards and properly working windows and doors.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you got like a shed or something you need to let daylight into, you can make one of those solar tube lights yourself by filling a clear plastic soda bottle with water and a bit of bleach (to stop stuff from growing in the water and clouding it up) and cramming that thing through a hole in the roof then seal it with some tar or something. That's actually where I first saw the concept, for lighting structures during the day that don't have access to power.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hadlock posted:

It gives me like 20 minutes of personal time before my toddler wakes up and and starts screaming it's pretty great

I think the time zone is set incorrectly on my toddler because the screaming is at 5:20 AM

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

How the gently caress can they not afford a $300 inspection if they’re buying a new build

All the money has been spent on the down payment, closing costs, and arranging movers. Nothing left over.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Upgrade posted:

All the money has been spent on the down payment, closing costs, and arranging movers. Nothing left over.

: Grand Designs theme song begins playing:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

brugroffil posted:

: Grand Designs theme song begins playing:

I never could get over the host’s poured-cement fetish.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Had our first real rain in the new house and I could hear water pouring into the sewer ejector pit, what the gently caress did they do when they built this place.

Water was pouring into the sump as well which is less problematic but I'd like to look at grading or something to take the load off the pump, I feel like the battery wouldn't keep up if we lost power.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If you got like a shed or something you need to let daylight into, you can make one of those solar tube lights yourself by filling a clear plastic soda bottle with water and a bit of bleach (to stop stuff from growing in the water and clouding it up) and cramming that thing through a hole in the roof then seal it with some tar or something. That's actually where I first saw the concept, for lighting structures during the day that don't have access to power.

I don't even know where to start

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I don't even know where to start

I got distracted by the banjos that started playing in my head when I read that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

I have a saw and will do it for you for $250.

Do you have a hole saw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hows Haiti these days?