Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

I keep reading and hearing about how a sunroom is a bad investment and a bad idea, especially for resale value.

I get that a room you can only use a few months of the year unless you want to burn money and heat the poo poo out of it isn't appealing. But what about a four-season solarium? They seem to be a lot nicer and they're insulated therefore more useful. I'd definitely get more use out of it than a patio in an Eastern Canadian climate.

What factors determine whether this 30-40k investment would be worth it for market value? Do they really turn away a lot of buyers?

I don't know what the actual difference is between a "sunroom" and a "solarium", but it seems like solariums involve more glass than sunrooms, in which case they'd be less insulated and more expensive to build, making them an even worse "investment" than sunrooms. They don't turn away buyers, they just don't make buyers want to pay $40k more for your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

I keep reading and hearing about how a sunroom is a bad investment and a bad idea, especially for resale value.

I get that a room you can only use a few months of the year unless you want to burn money and heat the poo poo out of it isn't appealing. But what about a four-season solarium? They seem to be a lot nicer and they're insulated therefore more useful. I'd definitely get more use out of it than a patio in an Eastern Canadian climate.

What factors determine whether this 30-40k investment would be worth it for market value? Do they really turn away a lot of buyers?

One thing that often comes up with additions like sunrooms or solariums is the local governing body not updating information about the property or not including it in the taxable square footage of the home.

In terms of resale value, anything that does not have a permit that was added on, or anything that is not heated and finished to the same standard as the rest of the dwelling (covered porches, florida rooms, sunrooms, solariums, etc) may not be included in the Gross Living Area by the appraiser when your home is for sale. This is allowed per the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practices that everyone is supposed to followed. Long story short, you assume you are adding space to your house, and nobody else really thinks so.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

I'd definitely get more use out of it than a patio in an Eastern Canadian climate.

Patios are loving awesome dude! You gunna barbeque in your solarium? Huh???

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I think Freakonomics or Marketplace did some research where they found that the highest return investment you can make on your house in terms of resale value is stuff like adding an extra toilet, or new light/plumbing fixtures, paint, and that kind of banal stuff. They also found by the same metric, kitchens are a terrible investment if you're looking for ROI.

Point is, whatever you do probably ain't going to pay you back all that much on resale value, so if you're making an upgrade, just do it for yourself, not the next person on down the line.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
As someone in the market for a house now, I hate three season rooms and they're loving EVERYWHERE. So you completely hosed over the nice sliding door entry to the backyard by adding another room I have to go through to get outside? When I want to grill or let the dog out to take a poo poo I don't want to have to walk through another loving room.

Just say no to three season rooms.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Back when my wife's parents had a house, I liked their sunroom :shobon: but then again, they had a separate back door so you could go outside without going through it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Shep posted:

As someone in the market for a house now, I hate three season rooms and they're loving EVERYWHERE. So you completely hosed over the nice sliding door entry to the backyard by adding another room I have to go through to get outside? When I want to grill or let the dog out to take a poo poo I don't want to have to walk through another loving room.

Just say no to three season rooms.

I love 3 season rooms. I'd like to be able to put a tiny one at the back of the house we're moving into someday. The house only has a side door and there is no back deck whatsoever, so it would have to be a separate room connected to the back wall of the house, just big enough for a couple chairs and a small table.

Mainly, I want one to give me a nice spot to watch the rain without getting wet.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
A proper home has an outdoor space with a roof that includes a wet kitchen area to prep your grilling meats. It also has a big rear end TV so you can watch football.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I have a little covered porch. It's finally not falling down and leaking, so I can use it for things.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

I get that a room you can only use a few months of the year unless you want to burn money and heat the poo poo out of it isn't appealing. But what about a four-season solarium?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9DEWf-2do8

Snoopy...and Prickly Pete.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

A proper home has an outdoor space with a roof that includes a wet kitchen area to prep your grilling meats. It also has a big rear end TV so you can watch football.

TVs go inside.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you're too much of a football addict to miss a few minutes of the game while attending to the grill (for real, you should spend almost no time next to the grill while grilling) then just get a tablet that you can bring outside. Buying and installing an outdoor television seems like a waste of time and money when there are easier, cheaper, better options available

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

If you're too much of a football addict to miss a few minutes of the game while attending to the grill (for real, you should spend almost no time next to the grill while grilling) then just get a tablet that you can bring outside. Buying and installing an outdoor television seems like a waste of time and money when there are easier, cheaper, better options available

Why are you going back inside? Oh because you don't have an outdoor TV that's why.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

Why are you going back inside? Oh because you don't have an outdoor TV that's why.

This.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Elephanthead posted:

Do you live the Southwest or something, because the thought of having a bunch of electronics outdoors in the Northeast, where it's cold half the year and raining/humid for a quarter of the warm season sounds like a nightmare. I've seen outdoor grill pads around here with TVs and they all have two things in common: they look expensive, and they are constantly broken.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It could be cool if you have the money to rig up something to protect it from the elements properly when you're not using it. I can definitely see the appeal in having what amounts to a rooftop bar in your backyard.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Just have the servants bring it inside during crappy weather.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

And clutter up the grand feasting hall?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

good installers are going to put it in a waterproof cabinet, and you'll probably have the money to replace it every couple years

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

I'm going back inside because it's probably cold or hot outside and grilling hardly requires spending any time standing next to the grill, a hypothetical outdoor TV wouldn't change that

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

QuarkJets posted:

(for real, you should spend almost no time next to the grill while grilling)

You know, aside from the entire unattended fire thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I'm going back inside because it's probably cold or hot outside and grilling hardly requires spending any time standing next to the grill, a hypothetical outdoor TV wouldn't change that

I know that you are trying to obliquely make some kind of point about people loving around with the food on their grill way too much when they're grilling, but you gotta understand that grilling isn't an American passtime just because it tastes good.

Having a barbecue is a social event and tending to the grill is part of the ritual. You stand there in your dumb KISS THE COOK apron holding a big fork and watch the fire and rearrange the sausages and drink a beer and you are doing the thing. It is not a terrible thing to have a covered outdoor area to socialize in while doing it, and if you have a giant TV to play sports on while you're at it, all the better.

This sort of activity is portrayed commonly enough in American media that I have a hard time believing you're actually confused by it, so OK, yes, people usually mess with their steaks way too much when they're grilling and they should knock it off, are you happier now?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NOOOO YOU STUPID BASTARD!

GO INSIDE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Leperflesh posted:

I know that you are trying to obliquely make some kind of point about people loving around with the food on their grill way too much when they're grilling, but you gotta understand that grilling isn't an American passtime just because it tastes good.

Having a barbecue is a social event and tending to the grill is part of the ritual. You stand there in your dumb KISS THE COOK apron holding a big fork and watch the fire and rearrange the sausages and drink a beer and you are doing the thing. It is not a terrible thing to have a covered outdoor area to socialize in while doing it, and if you have a giant TV to play sports on while you're at it, all the better.

This sort of activity is portrayed commonly enough in American media that I have a hard time believing you're actually confused by it, so OK, yes, people usually mess with their steaks way too much when they're grilling and they should knock it off, are you happier now?

I too enjoy acting like some goofy stereotype I saw on TV because I never actually learned out to be a competent human being.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

:raise: Okay, there are two issues here

I've been to a billion cookouts, and rarely do I see someone standing like an idiot over an open grill. I'm aware of the trope to which you're referring, but in my experience it's just not realistic. You can totally still wear the goofy apron and stand around drinking beer anywhere you want, you don't have to stand next to an open grill to do it. Are you really going to a lot of cookouts where the grill is being left open? If you know that it's often not a good idea, why don't you do anything to stop it?

Second, do you really only use a grill while in a group? They don't only have to be used for group cooking. Grills keep cooking heat outside of the house, which is really great if you're in a hot climate.

Leperflesh posted:

NOOOO YOU STUPID BASTARD!

GO INSIDE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!

Hey do you see how that guy is holding the lid, and how the lid isn't just like on the ground or something? That implies that he's been keeping the lid on the grill and very recently opened it to flip or remove meat.

Do you also see how that guy is by himself, and everyone else is off in the background sitting at a table... aka not next to the grill?

This picture shows the opposite of what you're trying to show. How did you gently caress up this badly and not realize it?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 24, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Goddammit, don't make me start probating people for grillfighting in the housebitching thread

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

slap me silly posted:

Goddammit, don't make me start probating people for grillfighting in the housebitching thread

Did someone honestly report this poo poo? :laffo:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No, I just got tired of reading it :D

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey we popped our inane :goonsay: slap fight cherry.

Will the topic of grilling and outdoor TVs always derail us? I can't wait to find out!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Is this the right thread to bitch about running out of grass seed this morning. Also why do birds like eating all the seed? Is the "anti-bird coating" delicious?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

Hey we popped our inane :goonsay: slap fight cherry.

Will the topic of grilling and outdoor TVs always derail us? I can't wait to find out!
The new title is helping, I don't feel the need to bitch about grillbitching anymore.

Devian666 posted:

Is this the right thread to bitch about running out of grass seed this morning.
Yes!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Devian666 posted:

Is this the right thread to bitch about running out of grass seed this morning. Also why do birds like eating all the seed? Is the "anti-bird coating" delicious?

It's actually just birdseed.

It's a plot by big bird to trick us all into easy feedings.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I have a birds nest above one of my porch lights right where it meets the wall. I'm afraid to move it because it's little birds season, but I don't want these rear end in a top hat birds messing with my walls, do I just wait them out until the winter then take down the nest?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Frinkahedron posted:

I have a birds nest above one of my porch lights right where it meets the wall. I'm afraid to move it because it's little birds season, but I don't want these rear end in a top hat birds messing with my walls, do I just wait them out until the winter then take down the nest?

Are they nice birds or rear end in a top hat birds? WHO CARES GET RID OF THEM!!!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Frinkahedron posted:

I was cleaning out my gutters and installing gutter guards a few weeks ago when I noticed this guy giving me the stink eye:

Sure enough, got a little bit closer and immediately felt like the biggest dick in the world:

I knew I shoulda cleaned these gutters out last fall

Worst part is, the bird was circling and watching me the whole time, so I tried to move the nest into an adjacent tree (with disposable gloves even), but the dove was too dumb to figure it out

I'm a monster :(

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Worst part is, the bird was circling and watching me the whole time, so I tried to move the nest into an adjacent tree (with disposable gloves even), but the dove was too dumb to figure it out

I'm a monster :(

They only understand the same location, and even gloves would likely change the smell so it would reject them.

I'd suggest using a net in the future both the bird and the eggs make good eating.

e: I just bought a 750g bag of grass seed. Probably going to end up with a lot of fat birds in my area.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 24, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Those particular idiot birds, which we have also had to deal with, will keep nesting in the same drat spot no matter how many baby birds they lose until you physically prevent them. In our case, the little babies would reach their fledgling stage, take their first test flight down to the ground, and promptly be eaten by a neighborhood cat. Over and over and over, sad little piles of feathers in the yard. We eventually had to construct a cardboard... thing... roof, I guess? Slanted roof, over the security light on the side of the house they had chosen as their permanent cat feeding position.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Oil! posted:

You know, aside from the entire unattended fire thing.
:rolleyes: a grill isn't an uncontrolled flame. However, while you point was dumb, I don't leave my grill unattended for long because a grease fire can develop in seconds and ruin your meat. I live in illinois, where the seasons are just suggestions for hte time of year you will experience extreme weather and if I had the scratch for it I would install a patio TV. A 40" LCD is only like $300 these days and a waterproof enclosure will only add a few hundred and never need to be replaced.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Frinkahedron posted:

If they're native (like Barn Swallows, which often nest in mud nests in places like this) then they're technically protected by federal law. If they're invasive (like European Starlings, which frequently nest in "cavities" in houses) then loving kill them all.

Devian666 posted:

They only understand the same location, and even gloves would likely change the smell so it would reject them.

With a few notable exceptions (Vultures, Albatrosses/Petrels/Etc.), most birds have terrible senses of smell and would have no idea you touched their eggs. I think this common belief must have come from other animal species which may exhibit that behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I had people over and grilled yesterday and spent the entire time the grill was going standing near it, drinking whiskey.

I wish I had a covered area with a fan and a TV to do this in, except the only thing on tv is the NBA and that's terrible so meh.

This has been my experience from the field.