Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
You need to move somewhere with a new cable provider if that's all that's on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

You need to move somewhere with a new cable provider if that's all that's on TV.

I don't have cable because it's all garbage. Streaming or Football. Or I'll turn on baseball for company because I guess it's marginally better than watching paint dry.

e: Just realized I sound like one of those "I don't own a TV" people.

I'm just too cheap to pay for more HGTV poo poo to be piped into my house.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

No Butt Stuff posted:

I don't have cable because it's all garbage. Streaming or Football. Or I'll turn on baseball for company because I guess it's marginally better than watching paint dry.

e: Just realized I sound like one of those "I don't own a TV" people.

I'm just too cheap to pay for more HGTV poo poo to be piped into my house.
It didn't sound like you're a no TV person, you just don't like NBA. At least that's what I got from it. And being you're a goon I give you a >50% chance of not having cable anyway.

Baseball is materially worse than watching paint dry.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Anyone who likes anything is terrible. highschool.txt

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The best thing to watch while grilling is cricket, because there is no chance that you will be distracted from the important tasks of drinking and distributing meat. Also, grilling while you watch a test match commits you to five days of grilling, and if anyone tries to stop you can you just say 'But the game is still on!'

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ Beer and a grill are all you need, having a tv out there sucks as everyone is glued to that instead of talking to one another, at least in my experience. Having stuff like a football, frisbee, or bocce ball available is way more fun when everyone is outside anyways

Devian666 posted:

They only understand the same location, and even gloves would likely change the smell so it would reject them.

I don't think most animals are so dumb that they abandon their children, even if they smell a bit funky. This bird was pretty smart at any rate, it was watching me like a hawk from different spots. I just hope it found where I put the nest :(

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

I don't think most animals are so dumb that they abandon their children, even if they smell a bit funky. This bird was pretty smart at any rate, it was watching me like a hawk from different spots. I just hope it found where I put the nest :(

A lot of animals aren't sight dominant like us. It'd be like if your child suddenly turned into a different race at the park but smelled the same. You'd probably still think you misplaced your child and give the random abandoned baby to CPS.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Describing animals as dumb or not doesn't make much sense, I've personally watched a mother bear eat their own cub on two occasions, nature isn't really smart or dumb so much as it's just way more loving brutal than most people realize.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Can you grill under a covered patio? I thought it would leave unsightly char marks on the ceiling.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Can you grill under a covered patio? I thought it would leave unsightly char marks on the ceiling.

Not with clean-burning, efficient propane.

Real talk, the covering would need to be like 12-15 ft up for me to want to have my grill running under it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FCKGW posted:

I have, for around a year now with no issues. I do have the grill at the edge of the patio though and the smoke doesn't really gather under the roof typically.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I got a propane tank grill under one of those aluminum wood-look patio covers but it's only about 10 feet up. I move it close to the edge when grilling.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Vent fans. Like an outdoor kitchen.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Frinkahedron posted:

I have a birds nest above one of my porch lights right where it meets the wall. I'm afraid to move it because it's little birds season, but I don't want these rear end in a top hat birds messing with my walls, do I just wait them out until the winter then take down the nest?

If the nest is empty (no eggs, no babies in it), it's generally okay to remove it, though if it belonged to a species that has more than one brood a year it may prevent them from raising additional broods.

OSU_Matthew posted:

You're right, but animals can be so dumb as to fail to recognize their children. The bird doesn't know its nest by smell, it knows it by location. It is possible that it understood what you were doing and followed it, but most likely it thinks that nest in the tree is a different nest.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Hey, original solarium/sunroom question guy here.

Pretty much decided to get a four-season solarium with a baseboard on the patio (gently caress three-seasons, like why). Will wait until fall to hopefully get it for a better price though.

As for grilling? I'll be putting in concrete tiles on top of the lawn below as the new patio. Who really needs grass in the backyard anyways?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

FCKGW posted:

Not only could it leave smoke marks, but it could be a fire hazard and violate fire codes. The latter could be an issue if your poo poo does burn up and you now have to worry about your homeowners insurance.

Do people get away with it? Sure. Have I done it before? Sure. Is it a good idea? Nope.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zhentar posted:

If the nest is empty (no eggs, no babies in it), it's generally okay to remove it, though if it belonged to a species that has more than one brood a year it may prevent them from raising additional broods.

You're right, but animals can be so dumb as to fail to recognize their children. The bird doesn't know its nest by smell, it knows it by location. It is possible that it understood what you were doing and followed it, but most likely it thinks that nest in the tree is a different nest.

Yeah basically there's nothing in that bird's many millions of years of evolution that would ever make it need to adapt to a situation where it's nest full of eggs got moved to a different location many yards away. So its instinct is to find its nest right where it left it... or not, if the nest got raided by a predator.

And humans with eyes on the front of their faces are visually keyed as predators.

That said, it's just a mourning dove. They're not endangered, they're prolific breeders, and they'll be OK.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 24, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah basically there's nothing in that bird's many millions of years of evolution that would ever make it need to adapt to a situation where it's nest full of eggs got moved to a different location many yards away. So its instinct is to find its nest right where it left it... or not, if the nest got raided by a predator.

And humans with eyes on the front of their faces are visually keyed as predators.

That said, it's just a mourning dove. They're not endangered, they're prolific breeders, and they'll be OK.
Good to know! I thought it was some flavor of dove, but wasn't sure. That makes sense on the location thing, because it kept picking at the screened mesh guard I put over where its nest was, after I got back on the ground and pulled down the ladder.

Speaking of the birds and the trees, there's a dead ash tree that's leaning towards my house. I noticed the crown was dead last year, so I figured it probably has ash borer, and sure enough, this year it didn't sprout leaves at all.

Problem is, it's right on the edge of my neighbors property, and as far as I know, that house has been abandoned since before I moved in.

What do I do?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

OSU_Matthew posted:

Good to know! I thought it was some flavor of dove, but wasn't sure. That makes sense on the location thing, because it kept picking at the screened mesh guard I put over where its nest was, after I got back on the ground and pulled down the ladder.

Speaking of the birds and the trees, there's a dead ash tree that's leaning towards my house. I noticed the crown was dead last year, so I figured it probably has ash borer, and sure enough, this year it didn't sprout leaves at all.

Problem is, it's right on the edge of my neighbors property, and as far as I know, that house has been abandoned since before I moved in.

What do I do?
Cut it down at night :agesilaus:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

SiGmA_X posted:

Cut it down at night :agesilaus:

Now I'm wondering just how bad of an idea it'd be to use a chainsaw at night with night-vision goggles.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The epitome of stealth. Using a chainsaw at night.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
If you do it after a pint its entirely safe. And I mean of whiskey because you're using a chainsaw.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Hey, original solarium/sunroom question guy here.

Pretty much decided to get a four-season solarium with a baseboard on the patio (gently caress three-seasons, like why). Will wait until fall to hopefully get it for a better price though.

As for grilling? I'll be putting in concrete tiles on top of the lawn below as the new patio. Who really needs grass in the backyard anyways?

Grass yards are kind of the worst part about home ownership, so I say go for it.

And if you have any grass left then toss a raised garden bet on it (or don't and just rip the grass out if that's a good option) and then plant something that you can eat later

You could plant a potato mound, more home owners should have potato mounds. What's a potato mound, you ask? It's exactly what it sounds like.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 25, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If the house is abandoned, just cut the tree so it falls into the neighbors yard and leave it. Either way send the owner certified notice that the tree is a hazard so you can sue them for damages. If you don't it falling is just an act of God and you can't sue him.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Elephanthead posted:

If the house is abandoned, just cut the tree so it falls into the neighbors yard and leave it. Either way send the owner certified notice that the tree is a hazard so you can sue them for damages. If you don't it falling is just an act of God and you can't sue him.

Thanks! I was thinking I should try to send something certified mail, I looked up the owner's currentaddress via the county auditors website so that's probably where I should start then.

Is there any sort of template I should follow, or should I offer to help pay some of the tree removal since it touches my property line?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

QuarkJets posted:

Grass yards are kind of the worst part about home ownership, so I say go for it.

And if you have any grass left then toss a raised garden bet on it (or don't and just rip the grass out if that's a good option) and then plant something that you can eat later

You could plant a potato mound, more home owners should have potato mounds. What's a potato mound, you ask? It's exactly what it sounds like.

I'm looking into converting one of my side yards from an overgrown patch of weeds and dog crap into a fenced off area for raised beds of vegetables. I shall now consider a potato mound.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Well, gotta dig up the fuckin backyard and fix whatever the hell is wrong with my sewer main. There goes $15-20k.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm looking into converting one of my side yards from an overgrown patch of weeds and dog crap into a fenced off area for raised beds of vegetables. I shall now consider a potato mound.

The problem I have with growing potatoes is that they're just about the cheapest food you can buy. So you're gonna go to a lot of manual labor in order to save yourself like $20 on potatoes.

The solution is probably to grow weird heirloom potato varieties or something.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Breaking in my new grill today. Awwwwwww Yiiiiiissss!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
They have been replacing the waterlines in my part of the city for the past couple of months, tore up the front of my yard to do it, which had the fill settle about 1ft during a rain storm last month. Yesterday I got home to seeing what looked like a sand boil and a pipe headed to my house to under the street (about 2 feet above the new water line and tied into god knows what). Today, I got home to this:

Isn't home ownership amazing.

Edit: I forgot to add that my sprinkler system is likely totally wrecked, since the line went along the street and to add insult to injury, they pulled out my mailbox.

Oil! fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 25, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The gas company is replacing a main line that runs under all the tree lawns with a new plastic one.

Apparently the old one is some rusted out metal thing that's been slowly leaking gas out everywhere.

Hope no one tosses a cig on my tree lawn before this poo poo is replaced.

Or ever because gently caress litterbugs.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Cable guy came today to hook up Internet, went to connect to ground and found this:

I'm getting my federal pacific panel replaced next week anyway, but I found a metal clamp at work to retie to the ground rod in the mean time :stare:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

Breaking in my new grill today. Awwwwwww Yiiiiiissss!

I over did my steak by ten minutes. :downs:

Now I know for next time. :q:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

The problem I have with growing potatoes is that they're just about the cheapest food you can buy. So you're gonna go to a lot of manual labor in order to save yourself like $20 on potatoes.

The solution is probably to grow weird heirloom potato varieties or something.

It's about 10 minutes of manual labor for about $20 worth of potatoes. They're super easy to grow and harvest. You can go all out with careful fertilization schedules if you want to grow super big potatoes in nicely organized rows or something but that's totally unnecessary.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

VendaGoat posted:

I over did my steak by ten minutes. :downs:

Now I know for next time. :q:

Get a gas leak pen detector if you have an... um... gas, grill?

Also just signed a contract with my gc for a new deck, patio, and small fence around the heat exchanger, basement storm door, and electric meter. He's getting permits and everything, wheeee! I'll post before and after photos of my horrible mistake.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was recently browsing the deck threads in reddit's DIY section (gah) and I'm pretty sure you are Doing The Right Thing Here.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I knew this going in, but houses are expensive. Part of our fence blew down from storms we had, and I need to replace all the posts because they're old as hell. Some panels are good, some need replaced. The wife wants to install some new privacy fence along our back property line, and fence in a few other small areas so the dog can run around the backyard without being able to escape. Sounds like a great plan. Measured everything, priced out materials, even buying everything on sale I'm up to $1,700 in materials, and that doesn't include the post hole digger or permits. I'm having family help install so I won't pay labor, just food + beer for a weekend, but I'm easily going to be over $2,000 for the fence.

We need to get a dehumidifier for our basement and it looks like we're going to be spending around $200 on that. My wife wants a new microwave, and I agree we need a new one, but we're looking at another $100+ there. We both want a new faucet for our kitchen sink because the current one is set very low and I always bang dishes on it when I wash them. Fuckin faucets are expensive too, another $150+. We don't want to go with the cheapest thing possible, but at the same time, is there really a difference between a $150 and $250 sink faucet? I can't tell if there is. This is why we have jobs and savings accounts and bought under our budget, but still, I feel like :homebrew:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Man you have no idea, the good problems are the ones that take less than $10K to fix. The good years are the years where you only had one bad problem.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I did the numbers the other day, I totalled about $25k in major repairs and improvements over 5 years. Not too shabby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So far after buying in 2011 we have replaced the roof, remodeled a bathroom, painted the inside, outside, and decks, replaced the gutters and downspouts, refinished the hardwood, replaced the carpets.

And now we are about to do a natural gas conversion, remodel the kitchen, replace all the appliances, remodel the other bathroom, and fix the side sewer.

gently caress houses, spend money.