Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
We had a detailed 2-D plan that incorporated the size of the appliances. I am assuming that the lead contractor wasn’t on site for installation, because there’s small but significant issues with the spacing that wasn’t noticed until they started putting in some of the appliances that arrived. Namely the stove and over-range microwave (which did arrive yesterday) only align if they take away space where the wine fridge (coming this week) goes on the left. If it had been the 15” cabinet that we replaced for the wine fridge, they may have noticed this issue before, and it wouldn’t have fit.

Fortunately, (and perhaps a bigger issue that I want an answer about), the plan we have shows 160” for the wall, and we actually have 162” to work with. So there’s two extra inches of space that they can shift the cabinets to the right and everything would align fine.

Annoyingly, they could have even resolved this before we noticed, but the hanging half-depth cabinets are flush to the left full-counter-depth pantry, and the edge of that pantry overlaps by about half an inch, causing the cascading misalignment that affects the appliances in the middle... all while leaving this huge gap around the fridge and this 3 inch space that has to be filled in to the right of the wall. Maybe it’s my web developer senses, but I just wish it had all been center aligned and there would be no issue!

I’m glad to hear that they can resolve the issue with just a day’s worth of work and without damaging the cabinets. Tried to work it out over the phone, and I hope the contractor will realize in-person that he should just have them redo it.

I feel like I should be wary about using him in the future however (we have a bathroom remodel planned after we move in) but I think that will come down to how things get handled on Wednesday.

-

The contract doesn’t say much. Perhaps it should have been more specific, it’s just a checklist of things they say they will do, no section for recourse. Is there a standard for these things? Fortunately it does say they will install the cabinets to the rendering, and it doesn’t match the rendering, so pretty straightforward that needs to be fixed.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nybble posted:

The contract doesn’t say much. Perhaps it should have been more specific, it’s just a checklist of things they say they will do, no section for recourse.

Sounds like they can't do those things without rework and making this right. If making it right isn't good enough, they still haven't done the things they said they will in the contract.

It kinda sucks that there isn't recourse listed, which means this will go to court if they don't do the right things. But at least you have a real contract, so you're doing better than most.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Nybble posted:

I’m glad to hear that they can resolve the issue with just a day’s worth of work and without damaging the cabinets. Tried to work it out over the phone, and I hope the contractor will realize in-person that he should just have them redo it.

I feel like I should be wary about using him in the future however (we have a bathroom remodel planned after we move in) but I think that will come down to how things get handled on Wednesday.

-

The contract doesn’t say much. Perhaps it should have been more specific, it’s just a checklist of things they say they will do, no section for recourse. Is there a standard for these things? Fortunately it does say they will install the cabinets to the rendering, and it doesn’t match the rendering, so pretty straightforward that needs to be fixed.

Without the plans/photos, it's hard to visualize the exact issue, so if you want comments on the issue and not just the resolution process you should post pictures.

Most remodeling contracts don't say much about dispute resolution. If I had to guess, it's largely because both the service provider and the client do not have a lot of experience reviewing legal documents, so both parties shy away from the subject. I've had clients react poorly to dispute resolution language ("Why is this in here? If you complete the work there won't be any dispute!") in contracts, so I think a lot of contractors regard it as a bridge they'll cross when they come to it and just leave it out.

A contract is the codification of an interpersonal relationship. If the contract doesn't cover something (and you aren't at the point where you are hiring a lawyer), then you just have to treat it as an interpersonal conflict. Tell the contractor what the problem is and ask them to address it. If both of you are reasonable people, this should be all that is needed to resolve the issue. The way the contractor resolves the issue will help you make a decision regarding your bathroom remodel.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Any guess what this is? Haven't noticed it before today. 3rd/top floor of a 3-story condo building. Possibly coincidentally, it's snowing today.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's a tape/nail pop.

Could be expansion/contraction/settling, could be a leak.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Motronic posted:

It's a tape/nail pop.

Could be expansion/contraction/settling, could be a leak.

Thanks. So I guess do nothing unless there's water stains indicating a leak?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Academician Nomad posted:

Thanks. So I guess do nothing unless there's water stains indicating a leak?

You could go see if it's a leak if you have attic access to that area. You could also use a probe moisture meter to see if the drywall in that area is wet.

Or you could just wait for water to fall out of your ceiling.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Motronic posted:

You could go see if it's a leak if you have attic access to that area. You could also use a probe moisture meter to see if the drywall in that area is wet.

Or you could just wait for water to fall out of your ceiling.

No attic exists, just a relatively small area I can't access in between our condo's roof and the building's roof. I can try to look into the probe thing though, thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Academician Nomad posted:

No attic exists, just a relatively small area I can't access in between our condo's roof and the building's roof. I can try to look into the probe thing though, thanks.

Condo? This sounds like an outside issue that should be someone else's problem, right? Surely you're paying several hundred dollars a month for that. I'd get the process started.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure how wide the frame is for the skylight, but water leaks around the skylight aren't terribly uncommon. But it could just be the other thing the guy said. Anything around a skylight, I wouldn't wait to get inspected.

Since it's tied to your skylight I give it greater than 50/50 chance that it's not covered by hoa

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'd give it a little slice to see if it's wet. You'll have to cut it out to repair anyway.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Post-mortem on the "Cabinets in the wrong place" conundrum: Contractor took one look at it and told his installers to fix it without argument. Best possible result after the initial phone call when he hadn't yet seen it and was confused why something wasn't going to fit where it was supposed to. Thanks for the advice up thread.

Slowly but surely getting to the point where I'll actually be able to move into the house we bought a month ago. Feels good.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Recommendations for a shop vac? Getting real tired of my lovely old vacuum. I'm in Europe if it makes any difference.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

mattfl posted:

Update on my new roof. We've have some heavy rains lately and so far so good!

Now if they would just come back out and reinstall my gutters!

Update!

After one missed appointment where the installer just didn't bother to show up, one phone call to the roofing company asking wtf and them saying ya that gutter company has problems, we'll take care of you though and do whole house gutters instead of the few pieces I originally had, being 2 hours late to the next scheduled appointment 2 weeks later and another phone call asking wtf I finally have gutters.

Roofing companies, biggest scam in the construction industry and I am glad to finally be done with them.

Now to paint the outside of the house!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nice. And like your neighbor said, your shingles seem to have laid down nicely.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mattfl posted:

Update!

After one missed appointment where the installer just didn't bother to show up, one phone call to the roofing company asking wtf and them saying ya that gutter company has problems, we'll take care of you though and do whole house gutters instead of the few pieces I originally had, being 2 hours late to the next scheduled appointment 2 weeks later and another phone call asking wtf I finally have gutters.

Roofing companies, biggest scam in the construction industry and I am glad to finally be done with them.

Now to paint the outside of the house!

This post is peak deed restricted central? Florida: Clear blue skies, bright green grass in December, incompetent construction story, subdvision house.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
On time experts wants to do this whole shebang with cleaning our hvac unit, cleaning the outside compressor, adding a drip pan, etc. it’s like $1000 quoted for just the cleaning and like $4000 for everything they recommended we do. It’s obviously a sales pitch but is there any validity to getting your hvac unit cleaned? It’s relatively new and seems to work fine but they claim we can lower our energy bill significantly and prolong the life of the unit

We do have a bunch of pets if that Matters

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

EwokEntourage posted:

On time experts wants to do this whole shebang with cleaning our hvac unit, cleaning the outside compressor, adding a drip pan, etc. it’s like $1000 quoted for just the cleaning and like $4000 for everything they recommended we do. It’s obviously a sales pitch but is there any validity to getting your hvac unit cleaned? It’s relatively new and seems to work fine but they claim we can lower our energy bill significantly and prolong the life of the unit

Cleaning your HVAC unit can definitely help, but honestly all you probably need to do is take some dish soap and drizzle it inside through the fan grate and then take a hose and spray it in there as hard as you can until the soap stops coming out of the bottom. The unit is designed to be rained on so you won’t hurt it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

This post is peak deed restricted central? Florida: Clear blue skies, bright green grass in December, incompetent construction story, subdvision house.

Yeah, you nailed everything lol

Well not deed restricted but HOA for sure.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mattfl posted:

Well not deed restricted but HOA for sure.

The later indicates the former. Otherwise you'd be able to tell the HOA to gently caress off.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

The drip pan is the difference there between a $150-250 service (with new filters and crawling around in the attic) and it being $1000. For $4000 they better be putting in a new compressor or ducts or something. You're getting ripped off.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

H110Hawk posted:

The drip pan is the difference there between a $150-250 service (with new filters and crawling around in the attic) and it being $1000. For $4000 they better be putting in a new compressor or ducts or something. You're getting ripped off.

People are throwing out gently caress-you prices right now just because they can. My mom just got a $6,500 quote for what should be a drop-in water heater replacement.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Motronic posted:

The later indicates the former. Otherwise you'd be able to tell the HOA to gently caress off.

Ah when I see deed restricted around here it’s generally for 55+ communities.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mattfl posted:

Ah when I see deed restricted around here it’s generally for 55+ communities.

Probably just a regional terminology thing, but for an HOA to have force they have to have a title encumbrance/deed restriction/etc. Different states/counties probably use the terms differently.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpartanIvy posted:

People are throwing out gently caress-you prices right now just because they can. My mom just got a $6,500 quote for what should be a drop-in water heater replacement.

Is the water heater on the moon?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Residency Evil posted:

Is the water heater on the moon?

I got the quote(s) from her and it's actually water heater installation and installing a pressure regulator because the guy said their houses water pressure is too high. I'm going to check it to see if that's even true.

My favorite part is the "Plumbing Club Maintenance Agreement" being not only charged, but charged twice.

-The PVC leak repair line item is actually them wanting to tie into an existing drain that's right there next to the water heater already.
-The water shutoff and riser repair is replacing the gate valve with a ball valve. A good idea but may not even be needed. It's not ancient.
-The pressure regulator "excavation" is (presumably) them putting in a bigger access box for the main water shut off so that it can fit the regulator and wye strainer..

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh man I recently decided I should get ahead of my water heater. 6 year warranty unit, manufactured in 2002. I was reading the install instructions last night and learned about expansion tanks for the first time. I've never had one in either of my houses. I guess that explains why every morning the water from the kitchen sink is absolutely charged. I thought maybe it was pressure from the washer hoses, but expansion in the system seems to make more sense. It's dead center in my unfinished basement so this should be as easy as it could be. This will be a good opportunity to replace the saddle tap for the ice maker and the leaky ball valve for the irrigation shutoff.

Ehhh maybe I'll just call a plumber from work.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpartanIvy posted:

I got the quote(s) from her and it's actually water heater installation and installing a pressure regulator because the guy said their houses water pressure is too high. I'm going to check it to see if that's even true.

My favorite part is the "Plumbing Club Maintenance Agreement" being not only charged, but charged twice.

-The PVC leak repair line item is actually them wanting to tie into an existing drain that's right there next to the water heater already.
-The water shutoff and riser repair is replacing the gate valve with a ball valve. A good idea but may not even be needed. It's not ancient.
-The pressure regulator "excavation" is (presumably) them putting in a bigger access box for the main water shut off so that it can fit the regulator and wye strainer..

Fwiw, we paid $1800 this last august to install a new 75 gallon water heater.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Nitrousoxide posted:

Cleaning your HVAC unit can definitely help, but honestly all you probably need to do is take some dish soap and drizzle it inside through the fan grate and then take a hose and spray it in there as hard as you can until the soap stops coming out of the bottom. The unit is designed to be rained on so you won’t hurt it.
They make coil cleaner. It's concentrated so you get several years out of one bottle.

I need to do mine, my units going on 2 years old with no service. Not having a company service it yearly cut my trane warranty in half.

A coworker uses auto wax on his units shroud, I'll do that again too, keeps it from looking like poo poo and maybe rusting several years down the road.

You can also wax your most sunny facing doors to keep them looking nice and to prevent fading.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Residency Evil posted:

Fwiw, we paid $1800 this last august to install a new 75 gallon water heater.
I was quoted ~$750 to install one 2 years ago. Fortunately the guy I called figured out that my hot water heater was just fine. He spotted that a wash sink in the basement had the potential to create a loop between the hot and cold water and I had done exactly that trying to turn it off.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dik Hz posted:

I was quoted ~$750 to install one 2 years ago. Fortunately the guy I called figured out that my hot water heater was just fine. He spotted that a wash sink in the basement had the potential to create a loop between the hot and cold water and I had done exactly that trying to turn it off.

I took a look and the Bradford White they installed was $1200 online. Didn't seem like a terrible deal, especially when I saw the work they did to get the old water heater out of our basement/around the narrow stairs.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I would look at a heat pump water heater if you need to replace it at this point. It does double duty of being your basement dehumidifier and your water heater and will cost half as much to run as an electric water heater.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

LOL at $474 for a $40 expansion tank that literally threads on a T.

Also, LOL at $550 to repair a leak in PVC. That pipe better be in a crawlspace inhabited by racoons and bats with an inch of brown water for that to be remotely reasonable given the plumber is already at the house.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sometimes if it's really humid / ground is moist out my condensate hole in the ground can't keep up and it pees on my basement floor. I called and they said they could install one for me at a reduced rate of $300 instead of $500. I said fuckit if it becomes a problem I'll buy the little giant for $100-150 from home depot. Currently I just stick a towel there and it catches the little bit of water that overflows.

Pricing right now is gently caress you prices.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tater_salad posted:

I said fuckit if it becomes a problem I'll buy the little giant for $100-150 from home depot. Currently I just stick a towel there and it catches the little bit of water that overflows.

Pricing right now is gently caress you prices.

I googled "the little giant humidity" got pages and pages of egg incubator results and was very confused, before truncating to "little giant" which returns results for a sump pump

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Water-Pumps-Utility-Pumps-Condensate-Pumps/Little-Giant/N-5yc1vZbqohZc9d?storeSelection=

This.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
This summer I needed a 6 foot gas line run from my garage to my kitchen for a gas stove hookup and I kept getting quoted over a grand because ‘we charge by the job not the hour’. 4th guy quoted me $300 and knocked it out with pex in 30 min.

Still high but drat I would have expected maybe $60 trip fee +$60 for an hour plus $40 for parts, tops.

Still blows my mind that licensed plumbers would argue that it really wasn’t $1000/hr because it would take 2 hours, and anyway they don’t quote by the hour but by the job.

I was about to loving do it myself (Menards sells their knockoff pex to anybody) despite promising my wife I wouldn’t.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Remulak posted:

This summer I needed a 6 foot gas line run from my garage to my kitchen for a gas stove hookup and I kept getting quoted over a grand because ‘we charge by the job not the hour’. 4th guy quoted me $300 and knocked it out with pex in 30 min.

Still high but drat I would have expected maybe $60 trip fee +$60 for an hour plus $40 for parts, tops.

Still blows my mind that licensed plumbers would argue that it really wasn’t $1000/hr because it would take 2 hours, and anyway they don’t quote by the hour but by the job.

I was about to loving do it myself (Menards sells their knockoff pex to anybody) despite promising my wife I wouldn’t.

You're not getting a skilled trade in for under $150 trip charge. Especially for a super small job. $300 sounds about right for a 1hr job in covid times. I mentally prepare myself for $1000/day for labor in general. Work backwards from there.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Also please tell me you don't really mean pex but the csst flex hose right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

They make coil cleaner. It's concentrated so you get several years out of one bottle.

I need to do mine, my units going on 2 years old with no service. Not having a company service it yearly cut my trane warranty in half.

A coworker uses auto wax on his units shroud, I'll do that again too, keeps it from looking like poo poo and maybe rusting several years down the road.

You can also wax your most sunny facing doors to keep them looking nice and to prevent fading.

This is great advice that I will probably follow but I feel obligated to point out that there's nothing dadder than cracking a beer on a Saturday afternoon and waxing the AC shroud