Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I have ~50 trees some of which need to come down but I’m not sure which. I love my densely packed tree property, you can’t see someone walking or my shed.

How can I hire a reputable person (arborist?) to tell me which are good or not good who does not get paid to take down trees? Happy to pay for this persons time, any idea what they cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I mean, area dependent and all that, but in my area (Connecticut) anyone who I tried to find to assess the health of my trees was an arborist who also gets paid to cut down trees. I went off the advice of my neighbors.

It will usually be cheaper if you just want them cut without them being hauled away. Like “here’s the price to cut down this 50’ oak. Here’s the price if you want all the wood hauled away, otherwise we just cut it into 6’ logs and leave it there.”

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Get multiple quotes. Look at reviews on multiple sites. Read the bad ones to try and decipher what happened, and see how they handled the situation.

Ensure they're licensed, insured, and bonded. They should provide evidence of it. Ask for their plan of attack. You can likely look up your states industry safety website and see if they have any past issues.

On the day of the job, look for safety gear. Helmets, chaps, boots etc. Harnesses and ropes if they're climbing. You'll know unsafe work when you see it.

Then just pray they don't drop a chase on someone, or hit the powerlines blowing a transformer and electrocuting someone on the ground.

Don't go with the cheapest quote. Go with whoever seems like they have a solid plan if attack and will work safely. We got 5-6 quotes and avoided the lowest and anybody who seemed sketchy and we still had massive issues. Thankfully our company was very willing to negotiate and work with us through those issues.

Look for actual arborists vs landscape companies with tree services. Communicate your preferences of keeping/trimming healthy trees and only cutting ones that need it. They'll usually avoid removing trees unnecessarily, the ones who just want the money will be obvious in the quote.

The price is very dependent on the size and quantity of the trees, complexity of the job, and the wood haul. Stump grinding adds extra cost. Expect a few hundred to several thousand dollars per tree for removal depending on size.

Wood haul depends again on the size. Most under a foot thick can be chipped depending on their machinery, minimizing the haul cost. Big rounds over chipping size cost $$ to haul, up to half the cost of the removal per tree for large, thick trunks. If you keep the wood to chop for firewood, you save some money.

I've had trees taken out for as little as $200 each. I've had trees taken out that were $6,000 each. It's all relative to the size and complexity of the tree.

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 13, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Don't call asking to fell trees. This anchors that idea in their head that you want to kill your trees. Call asking for pruning and maintenance by a licensed arborist. Look up their license. When they come out tell them how much you love your forest and want to keep your trees healthy. They will inspect them and should be able to tell you healthy, unhealthy but treatable, or unhealthy/dead and should be taken down. The first visit should be 1 or 2 people in a regular vehicle, not a fleet of people with a chipper ready to start.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I need to herbicide all the Trees of Heaven on a good portion of my property, cause just cutting them down makes them spread like mad. You can't just cut them down and hit the stump either, you gotta get the herbicide in there around this time of year and wait like a month for the tree to carry it down into the root system.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I need to herbicide all the Trees of Heaven on a good portion of my property, cause just cutting them down makes them spread like mad. You can't just cut them down and hit the stump either, you gotta get the herbicide in there around this time of year and wait like a month for the tree to carry it down into the root system.

Correct. Glyphosate and a paint brush. You need to paint the stump within a couple of minutes of cutting it. This still won't work the first time around, but it's better than the other option of digging up soil and burning222 it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Correct. Glyphosate and a paint brush. You need to paint the stump within a couple of minutes of cutting it. This still won't work the first time around, but it's better than the other option of digging up soil and burning222 it.

No it doesn't work like for Tree of Heaven, other trees it will will work to stop new growth, but cutting this one triggers root suckering and it'll spout a ton of new growth from the root all around the tree, up to like 50 feet away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2OkDcHhfak

You gotta do hack and squirt with high concentration glyphosate or use like 50% triclopyr ester 1:4 ratio with some kind of bark penetrating oil (like basal oil) and spray all around the bottom of the trunk like a foot up from July to September when the tree is most strongly transporting carbohydrates and sugars down to the root system, and then wait like a month before you cut it down.

I gotta buy all the stuff this week I need to get on this or it's gonna be way worse next year., the dude I bought this house from clear-cut a wide path to the back of the property and all along that edge are a ton of these things, maybe like 40 to 80 of them and they're tall, but not terribly large in circumference yet, so I think it's still manageable.

I really wish it was just the cut down and paint the stump method, but it'll just make it spread over a larger area for next year.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 13, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Speaking of plant removal, I've discovered a maybe fifteen square foot patch of poison ivy on my property I have to remove. Covering up where the previous owners apparently dumped all their leftover appliances. Knew I was gonna find something unpleasant exploring that overgrown corner of the property but the poison ivy patch is definitely worse than I hoped for.

At least I identified it now instead of discovering it the hard way later

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
oh god poison ivy, I bumbled into some when I was cleaning out some grapevines the Friday before last because I was being a dumbass and wasn't wearing long sleeves and pants. literally the worst rash I've ever gotten in my whole life, and I didn't even realize I got it all over my arm at the time so I didn't immediately clean it off.

I am currently on steroids to reduce the immune response, and the rash only stopped seeping gunk like yesterday finally. Unless you're like one of the lucky humans who isn't allergic to it, take that poo poo seriously.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol my wife jammed a broom into a service line breaking the connection to our AC at our first night in the new house. felt like a hero fixing it lol

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Poison ivy responds well to spraying in my experience.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
My understanding is that the poison kills it but that being dead doesn't render it any less poisonous?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

My understanding is that the poison kills it but that being dead doesn't render it any less poisonous?

It's still covered in the special oil that causes a skin reaction, so yeah you still have to be careful. But it's easier to remove dead plants than living ones

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

oh god poison ivy, I bumbled into some when I was cleaning out some grapevines the Friday before last because I was being a dumbass and wasn't wearing long sleeves and pants. literally the worst rash I've ever gotten in my whole life, and I didn't even realize I got it all over my arm at the time so I didn't immediately clean it off.

I am currently on steroids to reduce the immune response, and the rash only stopped seeping gunk like yesterday finally. Unless you're like one of the lucky humans who isn't allergic to it, take that poo poo seriously.

And even if you're not sensitive to it, it's possible to develop sensitivity, so take it seriously anyway.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

make sure you throw it on your burn pile after removing it

Mod edit from Baddog DO NOT BURN poison ivy it could cause a life threatening allergic reaction!

and don't recommend it to anyone, Jesus.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 15, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I found some along my yard/foundation and was able to uproot it carefully while wearing latex gloves. It all got bagged & binned. CAn't burn here in south Jersey, unfortunately.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

right arm posted:

make sure you throw it on your burn pile after removing it

Isn't this the ideal way to cause painful lung and internal organ damage? Urioshol doesn't break down in heat, it just gets vaporized while remaining potent, and you really don't want to experience a poison ivy rash inside your body. There was a story around here of a guy killing himself a couple years back burning some poison ivy he'd uprooted, if I remember correctly.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 13, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You gotta do hack and squirt with high concentration glyphosate or use like 50% triclopyr ester 1:4 ratio with some kind of bark penetrating oil (like basal oil) and spray all around the bottom of the trunk like a foot up from July to September when the tree is most strongly transporting carbohydrates and sugars down to the root system, and then wait like a month before you cut it down.

Holy poo poo. And I thought Japanese knotweed was bad.

e: right arm, please tell me that was a joke. Inhaling poison ivy vapors is much, much worse for you than getting them on your skin.

In Northern California, the way we're supposed to deal with poison hemlock, a contact poison as well as one when ingested, is to put it in black plastic bags, then leave the bags out in the sun (should we get sun) to kill it deader.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 13, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

From my time camping, the most important thing dealing with poison ivy is to have a sufficient supply of alcohol available, since it's like the one thing I know of that will rapidly and effectively breakdown the chemical if you have contact.

Looks like poison and physical uprooting with enough protective gear is the best choice, following by bagging and binning. Ugh, I hate this stuff, and there's so goddamn MUCH of it, and I need to deal with it ASAP or it will only get worse. I don't want it to actually climb these trees.

Edit: Although my first priority is burying the putrifying corpse in the backyard in a shallow grave because the smell is getting pretty bad. That's actually how I discovered the poison ivy patch, was looking for a place to dig a hole and didn't realize it was all coming up over the side of the cliff and all along the bottom.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 13, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GlyphGryph posted:

From my time camping, the most important thing dealing with poison ivy is to have a sufficient supply of alcohol available, since it's like the one thing I know of that will rapidly and effectively breakdown the chemical if you have contact.

Looks like poison and physical uprooting with enough protective gear is the best choice, following by bagging and binning. Ugh, I hate this stuff, and there's so goddamn MUCH of it, and I need to deal with it ASAP or it will only get worse. I don't want it to actually climb these trees.
That really sucks, and I'm sorry. Is it worth paying somebody else to do it?

quote:

Edit: Although my first priority is burying the putrifying corpse in the backyard in a shallow grave because the smell is getting pretty bad. That's actually how I discovered the poison ivy patch, was looking for a place to dig a hole and didn't realize it was all coming up over the side of the cliff and all along the bottom.
Um. Did your previous owner kill somebody? Is that Jimmy Hoffa?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It's a racoon corpse. At least I'll be able to get some cool bones from it next year if I mark where I buy it, racoon skulls are the best.

I'm gonna try to get it all done tomorrow, it's just... gonna be a long day.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 13, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

No it doesn't work like for Tree of Heaven

Yes. it does work like that. The rest of your post goes on to describe basal bark treatment which is also fine and sometimes more effective but not always practical depending on needs of the area or what people have at hand. I've used both. They both work.

Or I guess you can just take your argument back to the ag extension and tell them your theory on why one of the methods they're training is wrong. I'm sure they'll love to hear from you. extension@psu.edu.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It may be urban legend but you can use that racoon corpse to kickstart a new septic tank install

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jesus Christ, the smell. Almost made me throw up. I'm glad I bagged and binned it when I first found it though, because the thing was a swollen mess of maggots and fluids popping out when I moved it the hole today, I don't know if I would have been able to move it today had I not done that. Thing is buried, now, at least.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Highly recommend having some of the organic VOC cartridges for a respirator on hand for jobs like that. Also great for anything involving sewer lines. It does a great job of blocking the noxious smell.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo. And I thought Japanese knotweed was bad.

e: right arm, please tell me that was a joke. Inhaling poison ivy vapors is much, much worse for you than getting them on your skin.

In Northern California, the way we're supposed to deal with poison hemlock, a contact poison as well as one when ingested, is to put it in black plastic bags, then leave the bags out in the sun (should we get sun) to kill it deader.

Lol yes obviously joke. my brother and I as children doing yard work stupidly threw poison oak on our burn pile (rural af in OR) and then lit it later forgetting about it and dearly regretted our decision lol

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Yes. it does work like that. The rest of your post goes on to describe basal bark treatment which is also fine and sometimes more effective but not always practical depending on needs of the area or what people have at hand. I've used both. They both work.

Or I guess you can just take your argument back to the ag extension and tell them your theory on why one of the methods they're training is wrong. I'm sure they'll love to hear from you. extension@psu.edu.

did you even watch that video I posted? you can cut them down and herbicide the stump but that only kills the stump, it doesn't affect all the roots so it will cause a ton of root suckering and new shoots coming up. I'm not saying it's ineffective for most plants, but for tree of heaven specifically it won't kill the whole plant and you'll still get a ton of new growth off the existing roots.

That was reflected in several other college pages I found on tree of heaven specifically.

https://extension.psu.edu/tree-of-heaven

quote:

If cutting tree-of-heaven for immediate safety reasons, do so and treat the stump. However, cut stump herbicide applications are not recommended because they do not provide effective control of roots. Stump treatments will keep the stump free of sprouts, but they will not prevent root suckering.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 13, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Tecnu has always made a big, big difference to me: nearly no new bubbles the day after you've applied it.

When I was a kid, it was Fels Naptha soap, which didn't work at all.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

I found some along my yard/foundation and was able to uproot it carefully while wearing latex gloves. It all got bagged & binned. CAn't burn here in south Jersey, unfortunately.

The hell you can't, that ain't the jersey spirit I know. :v:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
There are some lights that flicker in my basement. The lights are the middle of 3 sets of lights on 3 switches, the first and end lights don't flicker. None of the bulbs were loose so I opened up the switch to check for loose wires and found the switch had electrical components (resistors, capacitors, and an inductor) in it for some reason. It's a simple on/off switch. The parts are all soldered in and it looks like the connections are good (I tried to check with my meter, but it wasn't working properly. I didn't realize the hold button was on until I gave up and put the switch back together whoops). Any ideas on what is going on with this switch? A quick googling for light switches like this didn't turn up anything useful.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dxt posted:

There are some lights that flicker in my basement. The lights are the middle of 3 sets of lights on 3 switches, the first and end lights don't flicker. None of the bulbs were loose so I opened up the switch to check for loose wires and found the switch had electrical components (resistors, capacitors, and an inductor) in it for some reason. It's a simple on/off switch. The parts are all soldered in and it looks like the connections are good (I tried to check with my meter, but it wasn't working properly. I didn't realize the hold button was on until I gave up and put the switch back together whoops). Any ideas on what is going on with this switch? A quick googling for light switches like this didn't turn up anything useful.

What on earth? We need pictures pronto in the wiring thread in HCH.

Wiring thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 14, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure you definitely don't want to ever burn poison ivy?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

I'm pretty sure you definitely don't want to ever burn poison ivy?

No, of course not. That post was sarcasm.

Potentially unadvisable sarcasm based on your post, but hell no: do not burn poison ivy.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

No, of course not. That post was sarcasm.

Potentially unadvisable sarcasm based on your post, but hell no: do not burn poison ivy.

gently caress, thanks to this thread I used poison Ivy to smoke my ribs

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any idea what sort of company I'd hire to come install a cell booster at my house? I have one setup already, but it's definitely not in the optimal place. The install instructions are like "lol try a bunch of places around your house", which takes forever.

All I'm really finding are places that do giant commercial installs. I'm just looking for someone with the necessary test equipment to do location/aiming, instead of relying on the app that came with it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ideally it's an external directional booster?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Ideally it's an external directional booster?

Yea, I have the Cel-Fi Go X hardware already - the problem is figuring out why even less then 1/3 mile from the nearest tower I have crap signal (even outside my house). Even aimed at the tower I get like 20% signal quality (though strength is at least 50%)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Might do a warranty swap or reach out to your cell company

I'm at least 0.5mi and not having any issues (no booster!) but I have very clear line of sight

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My understanding is that if you're too close to the tower you can effectively be in a dead zone for it. Try aiming at another tower on the horizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Cell towers are incredibly directional, so you can be within visual/line of site and still have lovely service. Literally they can be setup to aim along a highway thats running nearby.

Also, that tower might not be your cell provider or even more annoying, might not be using the frequencies your booster is designed for.

Edit: https://cellmapper.net - crowd sourced tower details.

unknown fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 14, 2023