Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Beef Of Ages posted:

If the :females: don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I married the most "my type" person imaginable and IDK which one it is but its certainly one of them.

Hadlock posted:

CarForumPoster posted:

I own 8 different power saws, primarily to attract a mate.

New thread title?

I'd be so flattered.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I have the 40V Ryobi chainsaw with a 6Ah and a 4Ah battery. I've run out of power with the other battery not yet recharged once or twice but pretty rare.

I also have one of these, and it's great for trimming:

Sirotan posted:

I just cut off a prob 6-7" diameter trunk from a tree with this and it took me maybe 3min of effort:

I keep thinking I should get an EGO chainsaw but this 'samurai' saw is sharp as gently caress and great for tree work within arm's reach. Highly recommended.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I got 2 telephone wires hanging what feels like fairly low across my backyard. Phone is CenturyLink up here, if I'm not a customer will they come out and remove these lines?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hell I couldn't get Verizon to come out within 24 hours for a line blocking my apartment complex driveway. The power company came out within 30 minutes to confirm it wasn't power, that was nice.

Is the wire there to serve your house? I've been wondering the same about the old phone line box that wasn't removed when they installed FiOS.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

Hell I couldn't get Verizon to come out within 24 hours for a line blocking my apartment complex driveway. The power company came out within 30 minutes to confirm it wasn't power, that was nice.

Is the wire there to serve your house? I've been wondering the same about the old phone line box that wasn't removed when they installed FiOS.

Yeah the lines run to the garage and house. PO had quite a number of phones it seems, there are jacks everywhere.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If it's an electric wire you're supposed to remove it with an electric chainsaw.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sundae posted:

If it's an electric wire you're supposed to remove it with an electric chainsaw.

bad, no

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

phosdex posted:

I got 2 telephone wires hanging what feels like fairly low across my backyard. Phone is CenturyLink up here, if I'm not a customer will they come out and remove these lines?

Time to cut it all out and

Dispose of it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

Rip that poo poo out

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I called AT&T and asked them to send someone over to remove the unused aerial lines to my house. A guy just randomly showed up less than a week later, said he was in the area and just happened to see the ticket they had opened for my request in the system. Told me those request are given absolute lowest priority and if it had not been for happy circumstance I could have been waiting years.

tl;dr you should just remove it from the side of your house and coil it up by whatever pole they are coming from, if you are feeling nice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Safety squirrel would like to remind you those cables are carrying a (pretty safe) voltage of 30-50v before you start cutting them with scissors. It's probably inconsequential but just FYI

There's some tutorials out there on how to charge your cell phone from a POTS line in an emergency using a $0.12 voltage converter chip from, wherever you buy that stuff, now that RadioShack is gone

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Safety squirrel would like to remind you those cables are carrying a (pretty safe) voltage of 30-50v before you start cutting them with scissors. It's probably inconsequential but just FYI

There's some tutorials out there on how to charge your cell phone from a POTS line in an emergency using a $0.12 voltage converter chip from, wherever you buy that stuff, now that RadioShack is gone

That's why you protect yourself by keeping at least 18" of electric chainsaw between yourself and the wires at all times.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sundae posted:

That's why you protect yourself by keeping at least 18" of electric chainsaw between yourself and the wires at all times.

If all you have is a chainsaw, everything looks like a... medium diameter branch?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

In theory if you're using an Ego powered saw, then yeah it's got a 56v battery and the grip should be insulated to at least 56v, and the line is a max of 50v

If you're using an 18v Milwaukee or something, on paper it might not be rated to cut through live telephone lines

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't use a chainsaw to cut telephone lines, that's stupidly dangerous! You have to use a polesaw instead

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Don't use a chainsaw to cut telephone lines, that's stupidly dangerous! You have to use a polesaw instead

No, you use the polesaw to cut down the utility pole. That's why it's a "pole"saw, duh.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Cut the utility pole down but aim so that it falls on the tree and takes it out as well, gotta be efficient in today’s world

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Thank you for reminding me of this.

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1305592893244166144

(And the follow up blog post https://mooncrew.substack.com/p/the-story-of-a-tree-falling-in-houston)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

I called AT&T and asked them to send someone over to remove the unused aerial lines to my house. A guy just randomly showed up less than a week later, said he was in the area and just happened to see the ticket they had opened for my request in the system. Told me those request are given absolute lowest priority and if it had not been for happy circumstance I could have been waiting years.

tl;dr you should just remove it from the side of your house and coil it up by whatever pole they are coming from, if you are feeling nice.

Huh you know mine just fell off the side of my house shortly before I had the siding done. It's funny how that works. (they were already disconnected on the pole side, but lol if you think I'm letting people attach a lovely old NID to brand new siding)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Reminds me: have to head over to my son’s house with an appropriate ladder to remove three dish-TV antennas (& a snarl of coax) from the pent roof over the dining room

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just hire the cheapest tree guy on FB or Craig's list to take care of a nearby branch and fingers crossed, it takes the line down with it, but also hope it doesn't hit your house.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Question about framing since I can't find a clear diagram-

I want to drop ethernet from my attic to the first floor. The interior wall I'm going to use on the second floor doesn't correspond to a wall on the first floor so it'll need to go from a stud bay to a joist cavity and then over a few feet.

How do I make that transition? Can I just drill down from the bottom plate and expect to punch through straight to the joist cavity?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tiny Timbs posted:

Question about framing since I can't find a clear diagram-

I want to drop ethernet from my attic to the first floor. The interior wall I'm going to use on the second floor doesn't correspond to a wall on the first floor so it'll need to go from a stud bay to a joist cavity and then over a few feet.

How do I make that transition? Can I just drill down from the bottom plate and expect to punch through straight to the joist cavity?

It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but if you don't have a right angle drill for this sort of thing, I've had shockingly decent luck with a Dewalt right angle drill bit adapter and an extra long drill bit. Basically punch your hole for a junction box closer to the floor, then use a combination of the above to get the drill In and make your hole in the wall plate. Combination of harbor freight fiberglass push sticks, cable lube, and fish tape should get your wires down and through to the joist bay below.

For getting around ceiling to wall transitions, I've just cut out a thin slice of the corner and patched it back up. You may have to make hole in the ceiling underneath to pull and route it up through there. Personally I'd just install a junction box in the ceiling and put a unifi wireless access point right there instead of going the whole way around and down

Unrelated tip -- if stud detectors don't work for you, IR cameras are also magic for locating studs

In sure there's a much better way, like the magnetic cable pullers that was talked about a few pages back

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Catatron Prime posted:

Personally I'd just install a junction box in the ceiling and put a unifi wireless access point right there instead of going the whole way around and down

Yea this. Unless you really need cat6 over WiFi in that location for some reason this is waaaaay easier and effectively the same for 95% of people. POE to an AP.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s all smooth drywall so I’m not going to be too fussed about patching holes.

Thinking about it again though, I can take a more circuitous route from the attic, down two floors into the basement through a common wall, and then over a few joists and up into the first floor. That way most of the patching is in the basement ceiling and I won’t have to deal with a ceiling to wall transition.

Or just say gently caress it and run it out the soffit and through the exterior of the house and be done with it in 20 minutes.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Or just say gently caress it and run it out the soffit and through the exterior of the house and be done with it in 20 minutes.

No, Gary! Bad! That's a bad Gary!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well, I know what I'd do.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive had regular cat5 to my outside AP left exposed to the elements in northern MN for two years now and its still working for what its worth.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Look at some point in time we all become gary. Its how the last gary was gary, and the one before him.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just make sure you use fasteners that won't rust. My mom had someone do this for her on her house a decade ago, they ran the cable out a wall and then used clips with nails under the lip of the siding to go around the house and up to a 2nd floor bedroom. The nails have all rusted and rust has run down the siding and it looks like complete poo poo.

Cable still works fine though!!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Getting through the centurylink chatbot to an actual agent who was able to create a ticket for phone line removal was surprisingly easy. Maybe the 2 days spent with Xfinity bots trying to run credit checks and signup new mobile phones while I just wanted my service moved set my expectations low.

They gave me a commit date just a week out so we'll see how the actual removal goes.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Anyone know about installing shade sails over a deck? I'm looking to put some up over mine and I'm not really sure how big and beefy the posts need to be.

I've already decided to go with steel posts, so there's that decided at least. The area I'm covering is 20' x 40' and I want to put the sail 12 ft off the deck. I'll have posts at the corners, but I can't put anything in the middle. I know that sag may be an issue, but that'll have to be addressed later. I've been looking around at a bunch of off the shelf components and I'm seeing people use 2.5" 12 gauge pipe for their sails and honestly that just does not seem like enough strength. I was thinking that, due to the size of my area, I should maybe get 3" schedule 40 pipe for my posts. Is that overkill? Bigger is better, in this case I would think, but it's also decently more expensive.

I am going to talk with the guy at the steel supplier when I go, but I wanted to get a few more opinions first.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have a 16x20' deck I initially wanted a ~14x18' shade. So I got that last year. Turns out rectangles are hard to keep in tension especially as they stretch out. This year we're getting a more reasonable ~8x8x8' triangle

I don't like how much of the sky it blocks, especially since ours attaches to the house on two sides

Our friends put in a pergola thing off their house which is 20'+ up in the air which I really liked. Make sure it's at least 12' off the ground

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
A bit late for chainsaw chat, but I bought a plug in electric chain saw at Aldi last year for like $20. It did the job for cutting down some small trees growing in places I did not want them. Am happy with it. I did however end up with a giant gallon jug of chainsaw lube that I will never use all of as menards was out of the smaller containers when I went there.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I have a ~35x20 shade sail over my pool and it uses 6x6 steel square tube as the supports. The key to prevent sag is to have a twist in the middle so have two of the posts on opposite corners be taller than the other two. My heights ended up being two poles at 8 feet and two at 14.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Qwijib0 posted:

I have a ~35x20 shade sail over my pool and it uses 6x6 steel square tube as the supports. The key to prevent sag is to have a twist in the middle so have two of the posts on opposite corners be taller than the other two. My heights ended up being two poles at 8 feet and two at 14.

6x6, wow, maybe I'm actually underestimating the size posts I need... Do you happen to know the thickness of the steel?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mine is/was held up with 4x4" wood posts, I was thinking about downgrading to 2x2" 14ga if I went with steel

6x6" post is probably easier for roughhousing wild pool party kids to see, though

Edit: the labor cost to install the posts is going to dwarf the steel cost, I doubt the steel tubing costs more than $400 unless you bought it through a vendor, or it's been hot dipped galvanized

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 1, 2024

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SamsCola posted:

6x6, wow, maybe I'm actually underestimating the size posts I need... Do you happen to know the thickness of the steel?

The post size was required to meet ~100mph wind resistance as it is classified as a "permanent structure" for the permit I needed. I am not sure on the thickness, it sounds pretty hollow when tapped, so probably not super thick (helpful, I know).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
People always underestimate how strong supports for this kind of thing need to be. It’s not just about max load under sustained winds - you have to be aware of dynamic loading when the wind is gusting and blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Qwijib0 posted:

The post size was required to meet ~100mph wind resistance as it is classified as a "permanent structure" for the permit I needed. I am not sure on the thickness, it sounds pretty hollow when tapped, so probably not super thick (helpful, I know).

Sunk & concreted into holes how deep, may I ask?

We're thinking of ripping out and redoing similar poles here, to include hammock strength.

Lawnie posted:

People always underestimate how strong supports for this kind of thing need to be. It’s not just about max load under sustained winds - you have to be aware of dynamic loading when the wind is gusting and blowing.

yeah the statics for the....static....load is trivially easy to compute. not so for trying to see what a storm would do.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 1, 2024