Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I have a birds nest above one of my porch lights right where it meets the wall. I'm afraid to move it because it's little birds season, but I don't want these rear end in a top hat birds messing with my walls, do I just wait them out until the winter then take down the nest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Cable guy came today to hook up Internet, went to connect to ground and found this:

I'm getting my federal pacific panel replaced next week anyway, but I found a metal clamp at work to retie to the ground rod in the mean time :stare:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Re: ant warfare, back in the rental house we tried both the plastic trap dome things and the gel style poison from a little tube and the gel worked super well, the little plastic dome things didn't do a drat thing.

I've bought indoor furniture from wayfair without any issues, probably good stuff outdoors too.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
On a scale of changing a lightbulb to call a professional, how hard is it to replace a skylight? The interior side/framing is has seen better days from a leak from before we bought the house, we had the roof replaced as part of the closing credits when we bought it. I assume we'd have to pull up some shingles to get the thing out and then redo it?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Our kitchen is over a vented crawlspace with a dirt floor and the regular looking insulation in it is falling off the crawlspace ceiling due to what I assume is moisture damage and crappy previous install technique. The kitchen is pretty drat cold in the winter compared to the rest of the house. Googling around appears to say that vented crawlspaces are out of date now and that it's better for moisture and energy efficiency to seal the whole crawlspace off and insulate the walls instead of the ceiling. This seems like something I could do over a couple weekends as a totally untrained home owner who hasn't needed to do much more than hang stuff up on walls, replace a wax toilet seal a few times, small drywall patches, and repaired a few deck boards in the past. Am I in over my head and should just pay for a contractor instead?

There's no HVAC ducts running through the crawlspace, just electrical and plumbing/drains for the kitchen as well as our dryer vent from the basement utility room that's adjacent to the crawlspace and runs through it to the outside. I don't think I have any water pooling or drainage issues as well (and none were called out in our inspection when we bought a couple years ago), we've also done a lot of work around the outside of the house to improve that since we moved in.

As far as I can tell, the basic steps are:

1. Rip out the old insulation falling off the crawlspace ceiling and trash it
2. Even out the dirt floor
3. Install plastic sheeting over the dirt floor and up the walls a bit to provide moisture barrier from the ground, overlap the sheets and tape
4. Foam board insulation on the walls and to plug up the vents in the cinderblock (no experience in installing this or installing anything onto cinderblock)
5. Spray foam gaps as needed

Am I missing any huge gotchas? I did find this handy guide from the department of energy as well: https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy13osti/54859.pdf

I live in Virginia in case there's any weird building code things (do I need to get inspected?)

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 20, 2023