Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have a cordless stick vac for the downstairs which is all hard flooring, so it does a fine job of getting stuff and anything that is missed gets mopped. For upstairs we have a corded pet vac that came with the house and its pretty good. I think both are Bissell's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I recently replaced three doors in our house, 2 french doors that have screens on them for patio/side yard access and the main front door. The patio ones (or at least one) had to be replaced urgently because the glass shattered in the middle of winter, so we just went to Home Depot and bought what was in stock. The lady working there was one of the fabled super helpful people who slipped me the contact info for who used to do all the door installations for them. He has his own business now doing all kinds of carpentry, but specializes in stairs and doors. He charged about 2400 total for all three doors, including materials. For comparison, the local company Home Depot currently contracts with wanted like 1400 per door for installation.

The doors themselves weren't bad either. We got the ones with internal shades for the patio, and they were in stock and available the next day for only $1000 a pop.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, as long as Chill Dudes is a licensed and bonded company, I would go with them. I have had some version of Chill Dudes do my roof, gutters, pest control etc. Turns out all of them are also now the most recommended in our area because of their pricing and work which is better than high pressure jerks.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

This makes me feel better; I thought maybe this is one of those times that everyone is fine with something that seems hosed up to me.

Their quote doesn't explicitly call out them using subcontractors, but it doesn't say they won't, either; there is some boilerplate in it regarding leans that mentions them:

:hmmyes:

Yeah, the other place only charged $150 for that, but we weren't going to have it done, anyhow, so we weren't particularly worried about it. Pressure washing the exterior of a house seems like it might be bad for it, is it not?

Blecchhh, I really don't want to, though. :effort:

Generally, house washing is done with a pressure cleaner, but on a much lower setting than you would do with wood or a paved surface. Unless of course you have a stone or brick facade. Point is, unless its just a neighbor kid doing it, they tend to know what setting to use on what material.

One thing I am having trouble finding is someone to redo/expand my driveway. Right now its just a modified stone surface with some lovely, not meant for driveway stone that the previous owner put down. There is basically a spot for one car only which is framed out in wood to keep the grass at bay. I want to take out the wood, level the area (which is at a decent grade) and make it so I can park a couple cars. Would also probably want to get the retaining wall redone. I have had some people that do landscape/hardscape out and quotes are all over the place. Cheapest is 13k and highest is in the mid 20's. I tried calling an excavating company but they only do commercial. I am like this close to renting some power equipment and taking a week to do it myself.

swickles fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 6, 2024

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

https://a.co/d/05YXfSl

I got this for my parents when the ice maker went.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well if they’re “buying” it then they haven’t closed on the house, and even if they did new builds come with warranties

Also, depending on where you live, many municipalities require certificates of occupancy on new builds, which requires a pretty thorough inspection.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The other issue too is that they won't hesitate to slap a lien on your house if you haven't paid yet. My parents work in a construction adjacent field, and they have had to put a lien on a house like a handful of times while some of the subcontractors will do it at the drop of a hat, so maybe tread carefully and engage a lawyer if you can if your contractor is the type, and your municipality makes it easy for them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Our house came with 2 huge rolls of carpet in the garage, matching the kind of carpet that's basically all throughout the rest of the house. I don't know how old they are but they're in great shape

... is there any reason to keep these around? I was thinking of cutting into one of them to make some throw rugs or something and then maybe donating the other, reclaiming that corner of our garage in the process.

When my parents got there carpet replaced they had a good chunk left over they elected to keep. They made some into runners and rugs which are great for when they would have company in the winter and/or muddy conditions. You can also learn or have someone replace sections of carpet if it gets burnt or noticeably and permanently stained.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Has anyone gotten a whole home water filtration system with a water softener? I was originally concerned about iron, but we have crazy high nitrates in our well water. Basically the deluxe package is $7500 with lifetime warranties etc. I was thinking it was going to be a subscription based thing so was pleasantly surprised when it was a one time cost. I am going to call one or two other places to get an estimate, but this doesn't seem terrible. The company is https://www.purfectwater.com/, which seems to have positive reviews across the board.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Local markets can be strange things, and without seeing your water quality data + exactly what they're including in the quote I can't comment on if what they're including is suitable. However, $7500 is very much into whole home RO system level of pricing. Whole home RO's are effective, but maintenance heavy, and you could likely get away with a filter + softener setup (dependent on your water quality of course). If they've just quoted you a filter / softener setup for $7500, that is way too much.

The right way to do this is to hire someone to test your water, someone not at all involved with selling the system to fix the problem. You're looking for a licensed well inspector who will evaluate your well tell you what you need to do to fix it. A lot of them will spec out systems for you, and then recommend a number of different contractors who can install what they've spec'd.

After getting a few quotes for similar systems (Water softener and acid reduction, new UV light, and under sink RO system) this company seems to be competitive with what other major companies are offering. I have figured I could probably buy the stuff individually and pay our local plumber the parts/labor rate, but it only comes out to save a couple hundred bucks and doesn't come with the lifetime warranties and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I need a new washer and dryer. I’m not in a huge rush but what brands should I be looking at? The current one is Samsung and kinda sucks.

Also does homedepot or lowes take the old ones away? They are on the second floor and I can’t be hosed to move them myself.

Lowe's, Best Buy, and Home Depot all charge for haul away, starting at like $50, but they usually add a fee for flights of stairs. If you have Costco, go through them. They have free delivery and installation, plus free 2 year warranties (other places offer them for 100 bucks-ish). Its honestly worth the cost of membership.

Try to get a real basic washer, the smarter it is the more likely it is to fail in some way.