Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SiGmA_X posted:

Proximity locks are really all I *want*, but I would rather like having some climate data and control over the HVAC based on climate feedback. Wireless locks sketch me out due to hackability.

Don't proximity locks have to be wireless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elephanthead posted:

How can a range of bids from well reviewed contractors be $1,100 to $26,500? I mean if you are going to be 26 times the price you must just only get people that only get one bid and happen to have just won the lotto.

I would figure that they are using different assumptions about what you want done, and/or the contextual difficulty (need to reinforce stuff or harder to access or whatever).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The house I bought has a "cold cellar": uninsulated cinder/cement room, vented to the outside. I'll be living in Canada, so it'll get down to freezing during the winter, and it seems like that space would be more useful to me for things like wine or pantry or general storage if it didn't get as cold. Would I be losing anything important by just plugging the vent? It's cool still in June, even vented, so I expect it would hold a nice cool temp year-round if I did that.]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've got a grill being delivered this week, but nowhere to put it other than directly on the lawn. What's a good temporary base/platform until I get the interlocking stone put down? Get an oversized patio stone?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Economic Sinkhole posted:

You could put down a grill pad like this https://www.amazon.com/Original-Grill-Pad-Black-Rectangle/dp/B003KAPI5O but it is probably fine right on the grass.

Grabbed that in brown, we'll see how it works. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have some non-GFI outlets in a couple bathrooms (though there are GFI ones in some other places). How concerned should I be about this?

Also: I got some of these on a lark, and I'm really liking them in hallways: https://www.snappower.com/select-guidelight/

They just replace the faceplate on an outlet and work as a nightlight. I put one between my daughter's room and the bathroom, and at the bottom of the basement stairs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If the outlets are downstream of the GFCI you are fine. Trip the GFCI and see if the outlets still work to find out.

OK, cool. I will look for the GFCI (I presume on the panel). Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snapower makes USB ones as well, yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also, supervise. We had a tree service remove the wrong branch even after we watched them mark the right one with spray paint. Our recourse was a 25% discount, which we put towards an apology gift for our neighbors who lost their shade.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm trying to find a high backed sectional that doesn't turn into a gundam (huge heavy complicated powered bits) but apparently these don't exist. Either you get a loving mini fridge built into your couch or you have no support an inch above your pelvis.

I like my American Leather. Even has a pullout that doesn't feel like poo poo when you sit on it, and is very comfortable to sleep on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I'm replacing a bathroom ceiling fan, what am I most likely to gently caress up?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

life is killing me posted:

Like a regular ceiling fan? Or a bathroom exhaust fan to vacuum out the poopy smell?

Exhaust fan.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Buying a model with adequate cfm output, and making sure it's vented outside and not into the attic or something dumb.

What's a rule of thumb for cfm based on...room size? It's all vented fine and the house so far is wired well, which is nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mercury Ballistic posted:

For bathroom fans, get the Panasonic. They are whisper quiet and work great. Only downside is they are best installed in new construction. Without access to the above space the install will be hell.

I don't have access to the above space really. Hrm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How well does radiant heat work if you're mostly on furniture, like in a media room? My basement is fairly chilly, and I haven't tried to rebalance the vents or anything yet, but I'm considering my options.

Also: are there minimally-invasive (read: not opening drywall) options for dealing with "it takes a full minute for hot water to get to this tap"? The shower in the same room seems to heat up much faster, possible because of pipe size maybe? I'm not good at house.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For your hot water issue, you can get a hot water recirculation system like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Water-Recirculating-System-with-Built-In-Timer-500800/100426993

Well that's interesting, thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I really like being able to silence my Nest when I smoke the kitchen while cooking, and know it'll re-enable when the smoke clears.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sanchez posted:

Spend the money you would have spent on Nest on a better range hood, ours is 900cfm and I'm pretty sure I could start a campfire on the stovetop without any issues. They're not super expensive and an easy DIY project too. Anything 500cfm+ is vastly superior to the internally venting garbage builders seem to prefer installing.

Mine is externally vented, but I can't find it on Thermador's web site to see what it's rated at. I wanted to replace the smoke/CO detectors anyway, and I'm not really price sensitive, so I figured I'd try the Nest. So far I like it.

I might look at a bigger hood, though, once I'm done with the current upgrades.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah but normally photoelectric alarms cost about $20, whereas the Nest is $100

I already said I wasn't price-sensitive, and the photoelectric Nest trips when I sear steaks or stir fry, so I don't think getting a different photoelectric one will help.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They work fine with internet disconnected, I tested that before I installed them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you're talking about rocks that can deter cars, you're looking at something way, way heavier than you can reasonably move yourself. Some website says basalt weighs in at 188 lbs per cubic foot. So a 2' x 2' x 2' rock would be 1500 lbs.

It doesn't have to stop the car forcibly, just present a deterrent that will have them turning around on someone else's lawn instead.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FCKGW posted:

You can get a 4ft tall metal fence post for about $3.50

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-1-4-in-x-2-1-2-in-x-4-ft-Green-Steel-Fence-U-Post-901154EB/205960882

A few of those and either some high-viz string along them or plastic roll fencing wouldn't cost too much.

Is that the ugliest idea you came up with? Pfft. Just pile garbage along the length of your property.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rocks posted:

View out of the fixer upper house I just bought :3:

(honolulu)

Holy poo poo. Nice work! :toot:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSU_Matthew posted:

One reason I love the Nest Protect, if it senses some mild smoke that's below a certain threshhold, it'll give you a verbal warning where the smoke is and you can go silence the alarm with a push of a button or the app. I've had it alert me once or twice in the kitchen, but I was able to override it and go open up some windows and turn on the fan to mitigate the smoke before it went ballistic.

And it stays deactivated until the smoke clears, then resets, so I don't have to keep silencing it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I was reading about these this morning and hoo boy it looks like a riot but I don't know that I have the patience or the aptitude to be cooking stuff for 18-24 hours (yet.)

I haven't done anything longer than 4 hours and it's been great to smoke pork loins and chicken. It's also great just as a grill because goddamn does it get hot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

minivanmegafun posted:

tacked in with nails between the conductors.

To be fair, you do get a really good hold that way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Will pick up a couple of propane tanks from Wally World in the next few days.

Check what your insurance says about tanks. Some policies have restrictions on storing (unconnected) tanks, so you might end up only being able to have one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alereon posted:

Mulch mow at the upper-end of the recommended height for your grass, this shade from the taller grass will reduce both weed growth and moisture loss. If you're really lazy/green, add in some clover to outcompete weeds and fertilize your lawn for you. It'll attract bees unless you get a non-flowering dwarf clover (Microclover).

My yard is adjacent to my neighbour's (no intervening fence). Does microclover stay where you put it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm planning to put away about 0.5% annually, but I live in an expensive area and I seeded the account with about 2% when I moved in last year. Voluntary expenses (small renovations, furniture for moving in, lawn care, etc) come out of general funds.

E: my house is 7 years old, and built to match the one the builder built for himself next door. My contractors have all remarked on how well it was put together. Nonetheless, we get weather and poo poo happens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I will take general emergency money out of non-registered investments. I admit that I'm not too worried about emergencies. I keep maintenance money separate for now, because I expect to draw it down more frequently.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Thats something I never considered. Does it affect the brew at all if the water source is snow melt?

Have you never seen a beer commercial?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

devicenull posted:

Hopefully not pulling a bunch of radon up too!

Is this still a thing? We never talk about it in Canada, but I guess we never have.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thufir posted:

borax and some honey

This worked terrifyingly well for us and our neighbours, other than getting honey out of everywhere we smeared it after.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that's way better than what I was looking at.

E: what the hell, ordered

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or a more powerful ventilation system? Is that a thing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CloFan posted:

On an unrelated note, is it weird that I haven't memorized which light switches do what in 3.5 years of ownership?

Switch em to match your expectations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LeafHouse posted:

Hey how'd these end up working out? I'm thinking about ordering as well.

They're due to arrive this week, I'll report back!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like my Nest because I can silence it from my phone when I'm searing the goddamn out of my steaks. In theory knowing that there was a fire while I'm away could be helpful, but it's not like I'm going to call 911 because of a push notification.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Holy poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought my NG Weber off Amazon, 2-day shipping with Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hughlander posted:

Which model? I'm trying to figure out feature set I GAF about. Thinking:
Medium Grill top size
Dedicated 'searing station'

Was a Summit 470, a silly indulgence. Left it behind when we moved, sold to the next tenants for a song.