Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Yeah but I do need to hand wash some stuff with soap like my cast iron pans.

I thought cast iron was dry clean only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Had our first real rain in the new house and I could hear water pouring into the sewer ejector pit, what the gently caress did they do when they built this place.

Water was pouring into the sump as well which is less problematic but I'd like to look at grading or something to take the load off the pump, I feel like the battery wouldn't keep up if we lost power.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing that kills me about this is that most of this poo poo isn't hard to learn. Basic homeowner stuff might lead to a certain amount of Gary-ing, but at the end of the day it's to to watch a few youtubes and just do your best fixing that cracked tile or the gross spot that collects water next to the shower. Plus there's just a ton of dumb chore poo poo that you just need to suck it up and do. Clear the gutters. Paint exterior wood once every few years. Re-caulk the shower if it's getting grody. Just the basic simple poo poo that you do to keep entropy at bay.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to teach themselves how to re-wire their kitchen or service their HVAC, but at the very least just keep your eyes open and if something looks like a problem bite the bullet and call someone who can fix that poo poo.

Or, you know, ride that poo poo into the ground and make a surprised pikachu face when you find out the sub floor is rotten because you ignored that leaky toilet for five years.

Nobody has time to learn all that poo poo when we're all working and commuting for 60 hours a week and driving the kids around all evening. Like yeah it's not that hard to caulk and sew and cook blah blah blah but when you add it all up it's way more than most people can handle unless you live the cushiest of lives.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

If someone is truly so hosed by life that they don't have a single spare hour in the day to watch a youtube on how to lay a bead of caulk and fix their shower they have my deepest sympathies,
I have kids so watching a fifteen minute YouTube video takes about two hours.

Find time to fix a shower? Most days I can barely find time to take a shower.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Adulthood for most people is a never ending fire hose of bullshit to deal with and I try not to judge anyone for falling behind in some way.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jesse Ventura posted:

There has been some tangential discussion of this in the last 10 pages (specifically: rates affected by California wildfire zones), but I have a question for the thread: has anyone outside fire/flood areas seen their homeowners insurance go way up? I live in Salt Lake City and my rate went up 43% this year. Several (but not all) of my friends in the area report getting similar increases.

The insurance payment is in escrow and our mortgage broker says that somehow we are still getting the best deal available for our coverage. The insurance company basically told me tough titties. Is this a regional or widespread phenomenon?

My rates went up, and I actually couldn't get my new house insured by my old carrier. This is in Missouri where I guess hail is the biggest issue (outside of flood zones). Kinda seems like nobody wants to insure anything anymore.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Makes sense to me. These are giant companies that are exposed to risk everywhere. If they're losing their asses from wildfires out west or hurricanes or florida or whatever they've got to make it up somewhere, and raising your rates even if you're low risk is how they do that.

They have to justify rate increases to the DOI, in theory they can't do that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BigHead posted:

And maybe I'm jaded but homeowners insurance companies and the fleet of actuaries they employ have to be the most knowledgeable people on the planet about climate change. "Oh gee plywood is expensive gotta raise rates" reads like the same excuse as any other time their number goes up.

The actuaries are mostly just looking at the past few years of claims and saying "here's what we expect for claims plus 15% profit" or whatever, climate change doesn't directly matter except for explaining cost drivers. The actuaries are certainly seeing the effects but even if you're a climate truther it doesn't really matter for calculating a 5yr average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

raggedphoto posted:

That’s not entirely true in fact insurance companies are pushing for better scientific data on the changing climate. It makes sense that they would want to forecast massive climate disasters and not just react to them. I feel like this will only make insurance that much more expensive because our planet is pissed.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/18/1176852678/insurance-firms-need-more-climate-change-information-scientists-say-they-can-hel

My interpretation of this article is that insurance companies are realizing they don't know much and probably should, maybe I'm just cynical. Hopefully states push back to ensure that rates are actually justified.