Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That condo doesn't really have much storage space to begin with, getting rid of one closet and reducing another by 50% just to gain 2ft of living room space (which you're going to do what with? sit even farther back from your TV?) seems counterproductive to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm sure I'm looking at it from the view of a person that has too much goddamn stuff, but I mean that kitchen doesn't even have a pantry. I make no assumptions to the existence of any additional non-pictured storage options, but even if there were, seems like in a condo you'd generally wish to increase your storage options and not reduce them.

Either way I still don't think taking out two closets just to make the living room 2ft wider is a good idea.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

brugroffil posted:

are radon self-testing kits worth a drat?

The research I've done leads me to believe they are, if we're talking the charcoal-based tests that you leave out for 2+ days then send to a lab. I was recently debating whether I should spend $200 on one of those meters to leave in my basement and instead decided I'd just get the $20 tests every couple of years instead. Bought this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCLZM3Z/

which thanks you reminded me that I need to do one of these now that my foundation work has all been completed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My 30 second google found me a ton of RTA cabinets with shaker doors available to ship in 5-15 business days if you're willing to go down to 1/2" plywood construction.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DaveSauce posted:

jfc there needs to be a Nextdoor thread somewhere.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912275

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

USPS helpfully informed me that I'll be receiving a letter in the mail today regarding the first property tax reassessment since I bought my home. In Michigan a property sale triggers the SEV (state equalized value) to become uncapped, and the taxable value is raised to meet that. Taxes going up 27%. I expected a jump but gently caress, not that much. :homebrew:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jose Valasquez posted:

You could hire a lawyer and appeal and probably get it down some, at least that's the song and dance around here

Honestly, compared to what the taxable value of my neighbor's homes are, my new assessment seems pretty fair. I would guess I'd lose an appeal, though it seems here it's all handled through small claims courts so it's possible I could try for no or very little money out of pocket.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

totalnewbie posted:

But after all that work you put in, your house is going to be worth way more than what it's going to be taxed on, so that's the flip side of the coin.

All I can tell you is that my escrow went up 650/mo my second year (but it was in my budget because my escrow for year 1 was below budget).

Yeah I guess it's just more of a surprise than anything. I'm sure not having heat all weekend (still waiting on the service tech with my special order part) made me less amenable to this information as well.

Edit:

heat is back on and I got the actual letter in my hand now and ouch

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 24, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Current mileage for my city is 69.24 so I'm looking at over $5k/yr in property taxes this year (new taxable value is $72,400). Everybody thinks Ann Arbor is expensive (it is) but lol their mileage is only 49.41. My monthly mortgage payment will likely go up more than $100..

I just wish this process has been more transparent to me going in. I've got a long text conversation with my real estate agent where I tried to understand how much the tax assessment would likely go up after year 1, I was worried it would jump up to ~$85k (true 50% market value) making the home largely unaffordable to me and he assured me that would not happen and that instead it would go up to meet the previous SEV of $59,400. Another $1k/yr isn't going to bankrupt me or anything, but obviously I should have done more research to understand what the SEV of comps and my neighbor's homes are to better predict this new assessment. Except I don't think anything I read or anyone I talked to clued me into that before hand, besides my agent who only gave me wrong advice?? Even the first time homebuyer class I went to really said gently caress all about this except for a generic *your taxes will probably go up after you buy" statement.

tl;dr I have made peace with this and I am still within my budget but wow houses are expensive and I should be sleeping

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 25, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I had a near verbatim discussion with my lender that went into more detail and they gave me the same information my agent did. They expected the home taxable value to raise to the then current SEV of $59,400. It did not and now it's $72,400.

I have done plenty of reading since my last post and tbqh the only way I could have guessed what my tax rate was going to be was to look at neighbor's homes and comps and see what they were assessed at, but even that is a best guess kind of situation. I don't think you can even be certain that a new assessment will take place, only that the taxable value is uncapped to meet the SEV. I knew all of the above before buying this place, I'm not sure there's anything I could have done differently to have predicted this. :shrug:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FYI Amazon does not sell a ton of the top rated battery-powered lawnmowers. I need to buy one myself and an currently leaning towards the Ryobi 40V mower since their battery-powered tool ecosystem seems well rated and pretty affordable.

EGO seems to be the gold standard for battery-powered mowers but they're a bit more spendy than I'm looking for.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

joepinetree posted:

Any good places to order self install blinds and curtains? All places around me are closed for corona and I am taking ownership of my new condo next week

There are a million websites online that are all basically reselling the same couple of brands. Pick one to get a bunch of free samples from, and then price out what you want from a handful of them to find the best price. They might not tell you they are just reselling Bali blinds, but the color code/name will be the same across the board.

Quoting a post from the home spergin thread:

Sirotan posted:

:unsmith:

And to make this less of a white noise post, here is what I've learned about honeycomb shades: it's Bali all the way down. Everyone just resells Bali even if they don't admit it. Figure out what color you want by getting samples from whichever place is most convenient, and then price shop. These sites all have constant sales but as of 2/7/2020, here is what a 27" x 52 1/4" light-filtering 1/2" double-cell corded standard top-down shade in the color Gentle Gray (1534) costs:

Blinds.com: $82.19
Costco: $85.50
JC Penny: $85.50
Blinds Galore: $86.96
Home Depot: $94.38
Lowes: $97.72
Select Blinds: $104.80

Prices don't include tax. Almost every site has free shipping. Blinds.com also gave me a $20 code for signing up for their mailing list.

I just bought two more blinds for another room, one of which was the same size as above, and this time around Lowe's was the cheapest at $84.70. Lead time seems to be 3-4 weeks everywhere right now.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I got the cheap poo poo for ceilings and inside closets, because it looks fine and you don't need to spend $60/gal on a surface you can't touch/see. Behr Ceiling Ultra White, $17/gal, would recommend.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

Live your best life, get the purple to white ceiling paint. But otherwise agreed.

:monocle: I had no idea that was a thing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

These posts making me pretty scared to find out what my utilities bills are going to be my first summer in this house. :ohdear:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

movax posted:

I have a garage door question.

I have a multi-story townhome with the garage on 0F. My circuit breakers / electrical panels are also located here. I am thinking about what happens when the power goes out, and having access to the car, tools, breakers and so on.

The existing opener works pretty smoothly, and is a battery backed (EverCharge) system. There's some kind of key hole on the outside that's rusted over, that best I can tell, may be wired up to the push-button on the inside of the garage, maybe as a key-switch or something. I don't have that key anymore, and I'll probably go disconnect the wire at some point.

What's the best way if any to get some kind of manual key / mechanism added where in the event the battery fails / even backup power won't open the garage, I still have some way to securely open that door?

Rusted over lock on the outside was probably something like this this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chamberlain-Quick-Release-Key-for-Garage-Doors-7702CB-P/303335537

I had one of these installed on my garage door when I moved into my new place because the garage had no other external door. This hooks up to the manual disconnect on the track so you can use the key to pull the cord from outside in case you lose power.

Manual disconnect on the track should look like this, and if you don't see it maybe you just need a new cord:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spikes32 posted:

You need to take it to animal control to test for rabies ASAP. It may have bitten you without you Knowing in your sleep.

Just going to pile on here because this is no joke. https://vitals.lifehacker.com/if-a-bat-was-in-your-bedroom-you-probably-need-a-rabie-1828720417

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

After hours and hours of research, I am leaning towards the SpeedQueen, but I keep reading about the high water use. Just how much water are we talking here? I'm assuming it's a negligible difference? I don't need my washer to connect to Wifi, I just want it to wash clothes and do it well. https://speedqueen.com/products/home-products/top-load-washers/tc5/

Then again, I keep reading conflicting reviews about how "they don't make em like they used to"- which makes me wonder if I should just go with LG- Basically, I am going insane.

Negligible as compared to what? From what I've read of Speed Queen they included an 'ECO' cycle option on all their washing machines to get around HE requirements, but that that cycle is completely ineffective and pointless. You'll end up using one of the definitely not eco cycles all the time and use a ton of water.

Anecdotally I have read that traditional washing machines with agitators use 40-45 gallons per load, with high efficiency around 15-25. I know a couple years back when I was living with family my mom replaced her old Whirlpool washing machine with a new LG (top load) HE washer. It had impellers and used so little water compared to our old washer that I wasn't initially convinced it would really get things clean. It does a great job and I don't think I could bring myself to buy a non-high efficiency model whenever I need to replace the set that just came with my house.

I guess it was the Wirecutter writeup on them that convinced me to never buy one: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/speed-queen-review/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

Am I going to kick myself if I decide to paint and redo the flooring of my new house before moving in?

A part of me thinks it'll be good to get all that done before moving everything in, but another part of me thinks I should hold off on projects as moving into a house is going to be complicated enough as it is without home renovation projects.

I know for sure we will do painting, but I keep thinking of more things I can do in between closing and moving.

I spent several weeks refinishing all the wood floors in my house before moving in, there is absolutely no way I could have done it after move-in. The fumes from the polyurethane alone would have made the place uninhabitable, not to mention the dust. If all I had to do was replace carpet, yeah I could probably manage that but it would still be a pain in the rear end.

Painting is a bit easier to do while you're living in the place compared to flooring work but if you have the time/funds to do both of those things before you are living there I would 1000% recommend it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pro-tip: deep frying your turkey is a game changer. Faster, less cleanup, delicious crispy skin. If you're not an idiot it's not anymore dangerous than doing it in your oven. Highly recommended.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Academician Nomad posted:

Hmm, okay, thanks - I certainly tried to get something to plug in at the same time with no luck, but maybe I didn't push hard enough.

Unless you have kids I'd probably swap them out anyway, I find them really hard to use myself.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I would add a support near the sprinkler head. If that thing went off, it's going to bounce around a lot since you don't have anything holding it in place for at least 7'.

While I don't disagree, if that sprinkler goes off it will douse everything with tens/hundreds of gallons of putrid water and op is gonna have much bigger concerns than a couple dents in the ceiling plaster.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It would be easier/better to have your mother transfer the deed to a trust with you and your sister as beneficiaries of the trust. This should be pretty straightforward with the help of an attorney.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I got this one, and also bought the HEPA filter plus the vacuum bags and have been very satisfied with it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-NXT-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-with-Filter-Hose-and-Accessories-HD1200/304006023 Probably my most used tool since thus far.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

Coincidentally, the 14 gallon one seems to be on sale for the same price. Will it be too big to lug around comfortably? Which one should I get?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...D1402/312452591

Honestly I probably wouldn't want the extra 2 gallons, the 12gal is already pretty decent sized and when it's got a lot of debris in it can be a little challenging to lug up and down from my basement.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Bought a house and now need to worry about lawn care. Anyone have a recommendation for an electric lawnmower for a pretty small yard?

I got the Ego push mower 21" and have been extremely happy with it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Honestly I can't fault anyone who uses duct tape on ducts. It's a wonder product that works on just about everything...except ducts. I would bet the vast majority of people do not know this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Finally got a quote yesterday from a siding guy on fixing my patio flashing: $750. That's apparently their minimum charge for all "specialty" jobs. lmao

Took the week off to "relax", so naturally I spent my day ripping off all my door trim and the course of siding directly above the slab and grinding down the high spots of concrete with an angle grinder. The door trim was embedded in the concrete down about 2", so now there's this huge 6" wide gap. Also the flashing they installed (only behind the siding and not behind any of the door trim) was a section of siding they just turned upside down and filled with a bunch of caulk on the top only. Water wouldn't go up but nothing stopping it from going down. Just the shittiest of jobs by whatever crew did this, I hate them very much. But I'm covering it with butyl flashing tape and galvanized flashing tomorrow.

Kinda going at this by the seat of my pants, and lots of Youtube watching. :ohdear:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I realized I'm replacing my door trim tomorrow and don't have a working doorbell at my place. Should I go buy some bell wire and run in through my new trim? Is wired the way to go? Or wireless? I'm not interested in a Ring or other IoT doorbell.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

I have taken your advice about using a toggle bolt for shelving units, but I don't have a powered drill. I'll have to wait until I can borrow one since I want to try and buy most of my things during black friday.

Owning a cordless drill is absolutely essential to home ownership and waiting 3 months to save several dollars is going to make your life needlessly more difficult. Just buy one now, better yet, get a combo kit with an impact driver.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

Growing up, my dad's always sworn by Dewalt, but I'm tempted by Ryobi line of tools. Not sure what the brushless hubbub is about, but I'm guessing it won't apply to me if I don't even know?

I'm also eyeing the ryobi cordless vacuum.

I got this recently to replace a 15+ year old DeWalt cordless drill and it is insanely great, the difference in torque over my old lead NiCd battery model is ridiculous. A++ would recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQ19B1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2ienFbTVCP18T

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 12, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't know anything about drills or impact drivers. Is this basically the same thing? I don't understand why there are so many different versions with different price points.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...283D2/206524075

The set I got has the hammer drill, hard case, and larger capacity batteries. I do a lot of DIY projects and so I got I think the top of the line/most experience drill combo DeWalt makes. You are probably fine with the set you linked at the lower price- you can always buy additional and/or larger batteries, and the soft case is also totally fine, personally I just prefer a hard case. And I wanted the hammer drill because I know I have a couple upcoming projects that will involve me needing to drill into concrete block.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 15, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

One of my upstairs windows has no window screen. Is it possible to buy a kit to install one from inside so I don't have to get up really high on a ladder trying something I've never done before?

If you only need one, I'd probably just buy one of these things and call it a day https://flexscreen.com/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

How often do you expect to host people overnight? If it is only a couple nights a year, you could think about buying a nicer air mattress instead of some permanent hidden bed. I would bet the foam mattress in the thing you posted probably sucks to sleep on anyway. Get an air mattress, and maybe a memory foam topper for it and you'll probably have a more comfortable bed that also won't take up a whole bunch of room. That's what I am planning to do for guest accommodations, anyway.

Edit: I am going on the assumption that this is a guest bedroom

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Moneyball posted:

No, it's mine, sadly. I'm still living the poor life of renting a single room.

Oh then yeah give yourself an actual real bed or at least the the real Murphy Bed that uses a real mattress and folds up against the wall. Anything else is going to be completely miserable for sleeping on regularly.

I'd probably put the bed in the upper left, then stick your desk up against the windows. It's nice being able to sit there and look out while you work.

Edit:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 28, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

joepinetree posted:

The small one? Doesn't seem to make much of a dent at all, but it's one of those really small single room ones. It pulls maybe a pint a day of water, and if there is a difference my hygrometer varies in the low single digits with it on (so from 80 to 78, for example).

A dehumidifier that can only pull a pint of water a day out of your 65-80% humid air is just a waste of electricity. I have a 50pint Frigidaire in my basement set to 45% RH and I empty it about once a day. It doesn't run continuously, but likely 80% of the time. This particular model is discontinued but you can get the current version for about $200. I would recommend just buying one even if you're only using it a couple times a year, since obviously it is bothering you a bit.

What I have: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-50-Pint-Dehumidifier-FAD504DWD/203796607

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Some lenders require it? I kind of hate it, though I recognize that I am very good about budgeting and I would guess the majority of people are not, so forcing people to prepay their taxes via escrow is going to save a bunch of people from becoming delinquent. Right now my escrow balance is "advanced" since my taxes went way up after the initial reassessment, so it will be interesting to see how much they increase my escrow payment next year. I may just call my lender and see if I can opt out of escrow altogether.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

statutory 2% interest

My state doesn't require this :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jenkl posted:

I hadn't heard of these before. Googling says you'd need to replace it every 2 years. Is that right? Feels excessive. I'm sure the math works though vs. Replacing 2k appliances every 5 years or whatever.

That's the recommendation for replacing your basic plug-in surge strips. I don't think there is an expectation of ever needing to replace the whole house surge on your panel unless it is tripped due to the surge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Are you sure it was carpet beetles? They just eat fabric and wouldn't be biting you. I would take a closer look at your mattress. Fold back the seams and see if you can see anything black there, bed bugs like to hide in those areas. Look under your box springs (if you have one).

Unfortunately, bed bugs can live up to a year between feedings, so if this is a rental, they could have already been there even before you moved in. Or if you're in a multi-unit building, they could be coming from someone else's unit. I think you've already done the best thing in this situation, which is calling an exterminator.