Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.
Hey thread, first time posting here (because I’m a first-time prospective buyer). I just put an offer in on a duplex with my brother that we hope to live in. My realtor says, because the property was rented, that in addition to a normal home inspection we should test the house for meth residue.

As a lifelong renter who has never smoked meth, this sort of bugs me. Is this bougie hysteria brought on by fear of The Poors? I imagine if the current tenants were brewing meth it would be pretty obvious. But I guess my question is: is it harmful and common enough that I should go ahead and test for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

Word. Yeah it’s a much cheaper test than I thought. Thanks, folks

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

Hed posted:

If you guys want to show up in the fix it fast thread asking what to do when your bathtub falls through to the main floor, please buy meth house.

I think this is only true if you try to dissolve the dealer’s body in acid :v:

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

There has been some tangential discussion of this in the last 10 pages (specifically: rates affected by California wildfire zones), but I have a question for the thread: has anyone outside fire/flood areas seen their homeowners insurance go way up? I live in Salt Lake City and my rate went up 43% this year. Several (but not all) of my friends in the area report getting similar increases.

The insurance payment is in escrow and our mortgage broker says that somehow we are still getting the best deal available for our coverage. The insurance company basically told me tough titties. Is this a regional or widespread phenomenon?

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

My uncle was in his 40s working a dead end job and managed to join the local electrical union and get training + paid + a career doing that, all in this century. Might want to look into any union work and apprenticeships. The skills he picked up doing electrical construction transfered to working on his house as well as his kids places.

I’m in the IBEW and it’s true that our local is absolutely hurting for apprentices. Most apprenticeship classes include at least a few dudes in their 30s or up. This is mostly due to the extended construction boom afoot in my area (salt lake city). It’s therefore very dependent on the local economy. As construction jobs go, this is a very good one.

That said, it’s still a construction job and it annoys me that construction is often a job-recommendation-of-last-resort. It’s hard and not everyone is cut out for it. And an apprenticeship is a big commitment—if OP has any desire to return to his original line of work then he might be better off doing something that doesn’t require paying for textbooks and tuition.