Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

VendaGoat posted:

80 bags of mulch. 80 loving bags of mulch to fill in all the plant bullshit I have going on outside.

We bought a new house last fall. This spring, 19 cubic yards of mulch. If bags are 2 cubic feet, that's equivalent of 256.5 bags.

We live on a hill, and the highest drop off point is halfway up it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

VendaGoat posted:

You poor loving.....

You unfortunate.......

Why the gently caress do you have that much landscaping, Richy McRicharson? :v:

SiGmA_X posted:

You either have kids or cash labor lined up, right? My folks had many yards per year (how many per truck? At least a truck a year ugh), I and the hired help hauled so many loads every spring... But the grounds around the houses were very beautiful! (Acre plus of landscaping)

I mean, cause it looks good :)

We have, I think, .38 of an acre, its completely landscaped. Sometime in the 90s the prior owners and both our neighbors had all 3 houses professionally landscape architected or whatever. It is a lot of work, and it takes some money, but honestly it looks great and it makes me super happy whenever I look at it.Its done well too, pretty low maintenance given the size, well thought out in term of colors throughout the season, large swaths of groundcover that doesn't get mowed.

Yeah so we def paid for some cash labor on this one. Its our first year here, so, we did a few things we did wrong. We didn't do a good enough job cleaning up leaves in the fall, making that job harder. Then we waited about a month too late to do it, so stuff was already coming up and we couldn't just throw it down without paying attention. Next year should be a bit better. 10 cubic yards of double shredded hardwood is 250 delivered, and if we get the timing right laying it out shoud be a lot less work.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I'll give a vote for front loading. I've had mine for 5 years, Kenmore, high efficiency, cost about 500. No problems, cleans well, never had a leak, and no mold.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
What do people here do for fire/smoke alarms? We had a minor scare the other night and are now looking at what we can do for real protection.

The nest product looked perfect, although pricey, but by all reports they straight up don't function effectively and have a high in incidence of false alarms.

Does anyone have a central station fire alarm? If so what did it cost and how difficult was the install? Does anyone know of any non nest IP enabled system? Trying to find all my options to evaluate.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

This is good stuff, good place to start researching. Thanks.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Needle nose are fine and sometimes best, but I get the most use out, and freaken love my lineman's pliers. Most essential basic electrical tool in my opinion.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Big rear end chunks of granite.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

couldcareless posted:

I'm in the market for a lawn trimmer. I had some hand me down 2 stroke model and I'd like to move away from gas powered. Is there a recommended brand for electric ones and should I spring for a battery powered or settle for corded? I have the extension cords and the outlet placement outside for corded if that's a good route.

Not knowing the extent of what you have and will need down the line, this may not be right for you, but maybe others will find it useful if you don't.

I fully endorse the tools made by Ego Power +

https://egopowerplus.com/products

These are not super cheap, but so far they have been real good for me. Its a 56 volt system which can provide some serious power and every tool they make uses the same interchangeable battery packs. Depending on your needs they have a variety of different sizes up the 7.5 amp.

I own the backpack leaf blower and the Power 21 lawn mower, two 5amp batteries and a rapid charger. The tools are solidly made, as powerful and easy. I can mow my entire moderate sized front and back yard on less than a single charge ( I don't know how much space it is, but it takes me about 45 minutes to mow). With the blower, the rapid charger will recharge at about the same rate I use the other battery so I get multi hour continuous usage if needed. I have no doubt the other tools are as high quality.

I wanted to go electric in general, but was pushed to do so when I bought this house that has no good place to store gasoline tools (fumes and all) and I did a fair amount of research before I chose thsi company. It can be a little pricey, but so far (about a year in) I think they are excellent.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Motronic posted:

General question here.....what exactly is the aversion people have to proper gas powered small tools?

I mean, I get that if you leave crap ethanol gas in them they don't want to start. But this has been an entirely solved problem for quite some time now (google: trufuel and you'll find that as well as many other brands).

The catalyst for me was that I had no place I could store them correctly. No garage or shed, and I didn't want to add one. I have easy access unfinished basement space, but its under the bedrooms and open to the ac/furnace etc. So fumes from any of that stuff was a huge problem. Having used good electric ones now I much prefer it. So much quieter, no vibrations, nothing gets crazy hot. Much better experience, although of course it costs a bit more.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Yeah, exactly. I'm looking at one of those Ego deals.

I have an Ego mower that is not self propelled and its really good. It is well designed and powerful, it runs solidly for over an hour on a single 5 amp hour battery. I also have the backpack leaf blower. My blower manages to consume power at about 3x the rate of the mower. Based off that, I would say the mower should easily have the extra power available to have a useful self propel system.

As a note, I have the rapid charger and two of the 5 amp hour batteries and with that I can use any of my ego tools almost indefinitely. The blower at really high speeds discharges faster than than I can charge, but not a ton. I can get about 80%+ charged before I drain the second battery assuming I have the blower maxed out continuously. In practice, I have never once had to wait to for a battery to charge.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Eh, theres some fairly simple stuff that I have found useful and pretty easy. For example, my living room has no switched lighting, we use 4 lamps to illuminate it. I set up an Insteon wall switch that controls a lamp module I put on each lamp and now I can control the lights from the hall. Hell of a lot better than walking a circle around the room turning each lamp individually as you go.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I basically agree with the above post. I have a medium sized yard and use a battery system. A single 5A battery mows my entire property. For me the cost premium was justified primarily by the fact that I did not have a good place to store a ICE mower and spare gasoline, but I can store my electric on in my walkout basement just fine since there are 0 fumes. After owning it though, I would also justify it by its superior user experience. I have had o issues with power or run time, the mower is way way quieter and there are no vibrations when pushing it. It never occurred to me that it could be better with my old ICE mower, but I would never go back now.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
We had a bamboo patch at our old house we had to deal with. We never got it all gone because it had spread to the neighbors property and we couldn't get at it there, but we had good success with the following:

Use sharp clippers to cut the stalk as low to the ground as you can. Immediately, like, seconds after you cut it, brush the open cut with undiluted brush killer. Do that to every single piece you can see. You will have to do multiple rounds of it, but for us it worked until the next spring when the ones int he neighbors property would start sending up stalks in our yard again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
When I replaced all my knobs locks and hinges I used build.com

https://www.build.com/door-hardware/c108415

Not sure I can say its the cheapest, but the selection was good, had decent quality brands and good customers service. You can get individualized service that was actually helpful and they will key the locks t your spec before shipment.