Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

Maybe don't touch another person's property hth

You sound like a nice neighbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Long sleeve shirt, gloves, mask and make it the cities problem on the street imo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I dunno if it's a trend or not but the vets near me charge $1200 to neuter a pet and you can no longer swing by an ASPCA or some other org during a drive to get it done for a few bucks. We drive 2 hours to a rural vet so we only have to pay $200.

Yup guy at work got quoted $900 for his. I told him that was ridiculous and he eventually found a place that would do it for $60

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds like maybe a handyman job tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d at least talk to them :shrug:

They probably don’t even realize it’s an issue and maybe possibly could change the way they do things if they had any idea it was causing problems.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

"Hi my 3 year old thinks you drying your combat boots in the dryer for 8 hours every night six inches away from their head through the cheapest drywall legal by building code is a monster coming to eat them. I have a budget of $1200 to buy you a new dryer so my kid doesn't grow up with PTSD about laundry, can we make a deal?" is not totally unreasonable

It might not even take that. They could be reasonable and just change when they do laundry but we may never know...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redreader posted:

Thanks! Related question. They quoted me 1.3k for this. Could they knock later and say 'well it turned out to be $3k worth of work, here's the bill for $3k'?

Absolutely.

Did you sign a quote though? If it’s all verbal well…

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redreader posted:

it was quoted and accepted through text message, which is sort of in writing.

Well that’s something at least. They could probably do that but if you told them to pound sand they’d have to take you to small claims court which could be a toss up depending on if they are actually able to show that yeah it was 2x the work ect ect.

I wouldn’t worry about it tbh it will probably be fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah get a second quote. At the very least it might make you feel a bit better about the first quote lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

You can probably get a new gas water heater r&r'd tomorrow morning for $1000 out the door. Any idiot can do it. That $1800 pre-rebate price is just the water heater. They're wildly expensive. And then when they break in 10 years, they're still that expensive.

And if you are a heavy time of use water user (like, 4 showers in the morning between 7-9am) they suck at replenishing water.

I wouldn't.

Yeah from my research into it pretty much all of this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah these are awesome.

Fwiw there are 100w ones coming out soon too.

They are definitely worth it to have in a few places around the house.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds like general handyman stuff

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sublimer posted:

One bathtub faucet hot water is barely a trickle. Cold water pressure is fine. Both the hot and cold water pressure work fine on all other faucets in the house. Any idea what could cause this? It hasn’t been cold enough for any frozen pipes.

Build up in the hot water pipe?

Is it two knobs or one?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tristesse posted:

Maybe a problem with the valve for the hot water on that faucet.

Yeah you probably need to take it apart and see what's up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Related question: I'm hoping to fix my front door's stoop next year, and have no idea where to start!

Should I Google like "concrete pourers in my city" and go from there? I want it to be just a solid slab, cause right now it's a jankily shaped together brick shitshow that I literally tell anyone coming to our place "please be careful when stepping into our stoop!" :derp:

That’s probably a pretty small job for a concrete company tbh. You’d probably over pay if you went with them. How big of a slab do you want?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I mean I'm always down for more tools... :getin: guess I'll do a little digging into doing it myself! That's probably something that requires a permit, hmm

I didn't know these existed until your post, so now researching ahoy! :toot:

Fake edit: oh this actually reminded me that I wanted to actually increase the size of the stoop lol, totally forgot about that!

You could absolutely do it yourself something that size isn’t really even complicated and YouTube university will definitely help guide you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

This is what a properly installed outlet is supposed to look like, right goons? Right?! :psyduck:

Absolutely :downs:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Brings up a good question about if I should run any kind of communication cable (cat 7, coaxial, phone) while I have walls open... My house is 1,300 sq ft so a single wireless router is plenty and I no longer need to be hardwired into my NAS.

I absolutely would.

Wifi is great but you never know when you want to hardwire something. It just gives you more options and since things are already open I’d just do it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Cool, thanks MarcusSA and sirotan I will add ethernet to the project. Any odd spots in the house you'd recommend installing ports beyond the obvious server closet and what not?

Living room obviously but you might want to consider a drop near the backyard so you can increase your outside coverage. Especially if you plan on adding wireless cameras in the future.

It’s actually been really nice having strong coverage outside the house for me at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok now hear me out here,

Are outhouses illegal?

PS that really fuckin sucks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m telling you outhouses are making a comeback in 2024. Just wait it out and you are golden.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Two other solutions.

Just rent your neighbors toilet.

This is a bit more expensive but I watched The Martian the other day and NASA has these toilets where when you poo poo it seals them into little bags. The bags get dumped in to a bin that you can just dispose of on trash day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok you said it’s by the ocean right? Well fish poo poo in the ocean all the time so why can’t you?

It’s literally right there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I didn’t realize you were in California so yeah it probably makes it infinitely harder.

The steam plant idea is good I like where this is going.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok we aren’t going to do your math homework for you dude.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

distortion park posted:

I think the lack of water is because they already give it all for free to the almond farmers or w/e, hard to compete with that.

Yeah if we didn’t do that it wouldn’t be nearly the problem it is now.

It’s kinda ridiculous.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Not northern northern california, really more like southern oregon where OP lives. And definitely not on the coast. You’d have to truck the poo poo water across the state.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Agriculture also accounts for roughly 3% of Californias GDP.

Seems like a poor return to me!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m a bit more sensitive because my dad has had to drill yet another well because the grapes are soaking up all the water.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it’s 40+ acres.

His neighbor is a vineyard who have drastically dropped the water table over the last few years.

Luckily he could afford it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok well let’s start with almonds and grapes.

Everything else is ok.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Few places in the US have the climate and soil to grow the grapes that make quality wine.

I could make the argument that we are way over producing wine at this point. It’s not a necessity food.

I love wine but we could definitely cut back and manage it better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They even have vineyards in Canada!

That was actually a really cool wine tour and we had no idea it was even a thing there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My dad has a generator attached to his well yeah.

I’m betting you could do the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

All I really want is to be able to keep the well going so I have running water, although keeping the control system for the heat online would be a nice bonus. A portable generator would be preferable too, I guess, since I could use it for other things. I don't know what I need to actually make that happen, though - I guess that probably depends on how everything is hooked up?

Right now I'm basically in phase where I'm trying to figure out what questions I should even be asking to determine what I need to do next.

Yeah and you’ll probably need an electrician to wire the generator hookup for you too since the well is probably directly wired in.

If the well is off on its own it wouldn’t be too bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MJP posted:

those apparently get locked if a bank sees a death notice and need a court order to open.

This might not help you but that’s why my dad put me on the lockboxes so I can still access them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

unknown posted:

Careful - you might have access rights, but those can disappear when the account holder does (ie: dies). Banks are overly cautious (ie: go into lockdown mode) when someone dies to stop a relative from draining the accounts before the court approved executor has taken over.

:shrug:

Honestly I didn’t look into it but he claimed he did and it wouldn’t be a problem but I can see what you are saying. I think he also added me to the accounts as well but who knows because his financial stuff is a drat mess that only he understands.

It’s just he and I thought so that might make things easier to some extent?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lowe’s will definitely do it :shrug:

My dad legitimately lives in the rear end end of nowhere and they still did it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doesn’t Lowe’s rent this stuff too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Kohler 20RCA, set up with a service entrance transfer switch and running on natural gas.

Well, that's gonna take a bit of time to fix

Just ctrl-c that nice part and ctrl-v it.