Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I gotta cross post this here.

homewrecker posted:

Is there a thread somewhere on SA for judging people's home decorating / interior design? Because I just saw this post on a certain subreddit (via the popular feed), I'll let you try and guess which subreddit after you see the pictures:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Getting inspo ideas for my remodel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

It's like they were at the mall, maybe a Forever 21 or COS or something, and said "I want to live in this store"

My first thought was a tacky jewelry store tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I have a dream of a service that can do basic handyman stuff and do some basic cleaning stuff. Like someone who doesnt mind painting a wall, washing dishes and replacing an outlet. Or someone who can help me put away tools and organize my garage for $50-75/hr. I've got several days worth of these little jobs and chores and I don't like doing them.

Does that exist? How can I hire these handy cleaners?

I guess it depends on the area how well it would work out for you but there’s an app for it

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/handy-com/id604419063

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Having a cleaning lady is absolutely the best money I spend on my house.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Most cleaning tasks are pretty short and spread out over a couple days.

While you aren’t wrong I ain’t got time for all that.

It’s also incredibly nice to just come home to a perfectly clean house. I keep the house generally pretty clean so she takes care of stuff like cleaning the fridge and poo poo I’d probably do once every few months on my own.

It also helps I’ve known her for like 10 years and she’s incredibly nice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yo whats up with that wall plug

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Na that’s super lovely.

I’d probably just touch them up myself though if they are being dicks about it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My dad bought a lovesac and I helped him put it together. It’s a fantastic couch but holy poo poo was it expensive.

NGL though he got the one with the sound system built in and it’s drat good imo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I saw Lovesac does some kind of speaker system integration thing, sounds like a sharper image gimmick that'd be prone to breaking but idk

I don’t know how it’s going to hold up over the long term but having used it the thing is cool as poo poo.

It definitely cleans things up a lot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My issue with bag vacuums is that my dog sheds inordinate amounts of very fine fur. It's extremely lightweight, and thus not realistic to sweep with a broom, but generates a lot of volume. A bag-using vacuum will fill the bag basically instantly, such that I'm constantly having to open up the vacuum case, remove the bag, throw it out, and install a new one. Bagless vacuums tend to be much easier to empty out, and you aren't generating extra trash when you do. That's a worthwhile tradeoff, for me, for reduced vacuuming efficiency.

This is why I have a robot vacuum that does kinda a poo poo job but picks up quite a bit every day.

It was like $100 and helps a lot for keeping my dogs hair down.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Get ready for a bunch of people who haven't long-term used daily robot vacuums to tell you that their dog sheds too much, and/or "I used one for two weeks can it couldn't keep up :rolleye:", even though it takes ~90+ days to catch up with the backlog of fur

Yeah it legit took over a month for mine to get it under control.

It works well enough and for $100 (ish) it’s worth it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s a good lookin table and chair.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's 100% something you could do yourself, but if it doesn't work, it's new, and it's covered by a warranty loving get them out there to fix it. I'll happily spend my weekend fixing poo poo in my house, but if the problem is something I paid for not working hell yes I'm hauling them in.

Absolutely this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

no sense telling them that they have to insure at a loss.

Ok yeah that was never gonna be the case.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ROJO posted:

Bingo!

This one was completely seized, and a second was pretty difficult to turn and developing a flat spot. Replaced the idler arm and belt while I was at it, and vacuumed about 10 pounds of lint and dust out of the chassis. Whisper quiet now. Thanks!

A success story!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

oh rly posted:

I'm in So Cal living in a high fire risk area in Chino Hills. No insurance company will cover us without using CA Fair Plan for fire except State Farm.

We've owned this house two years and insurance has gone from 3200 to 3300 to 4000 per year with State Farm. I doubt they would give us a new policy so we're kinda grandfathered in.

Were staying with state farm at 4k per year because they aren't requiring us to go with CA Fair Plan as well.

Any insurance company who wants us to use CA Fair Plan wants 6k+ per year.

State Farm just raised our rates 20% this year instead of canceling us. I expect to be not renewed with State Farm for 2025.

I am with State Farm and my dad is with State Farm (has been for 30+ years) and we both expect to not be renewed soon. He’s up in Paso Robles in a high fire area as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The Internet says I can get a skylight installed for $2500

No way in hell.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I actually wake up naturally because it's so goddamn bright in here by 7am.

This sounds terrible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I call them window screen clip things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

distortion park posted:

I don't think there's any evidence that the inspector didn't check the A/C worked on full blast - the problem was it being turned off, not some fault somewhere

If it was off they didn’t check it properly.

They are supposed to do a temperature check. Mine did last year :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sewer line, electrical panel, roof (make sure he walks it, not just a drone), and the hvac/furnace are the ones I worry about. Those are all areas lovely inspectors will skimp on and you can run into bad bills down the road.

Don’t forget to have them check for angry spirits that might be living there. Mine was a reasonably new construction so I didn’t have to worry about that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

FFFFFFFF………

Sorry but I laughed.

That fuckin sucks.

Also that tile is crooked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just go be a firefighter

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

2 minutes to hot water still sounds insanely high :psyduck:

I’ll have to time it in my place but that’s what it is for all my sinks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I need a new washer and dryer. I’m not in a huge rush but what brands should I be looking at? The current one is Samsung and kinda sucks.

Also does homedepot or lowes take the old ones away? They are on the second floor and I can’t be hosed to move them myself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks I’ll check out Costco then! I’m definitely willing to pay extra for haul away.

I had an LG one before and it was ok? I’m just not sure going with them again is the best.

At this rate I’m willing to pay more for a decent washer because I want it to last.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

More sign-tapping

They are getting hard to find and have been formally replaced by the MVWP585GW, which also has a sister model of the 586. Historically, the warranty terms were different between the *5 and the *6, and that seems to be the case again, but this time favoring the *6 - this is worth looking into more seriously. I have no idea what the build difference is between the 585 and the 575, but light research suggests they are similar (which is a good thing).

Thanks!!

Edit: holy poo poo this is perfect

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 22, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

More sign-tapping

They are getting hard to find and have been formally replaced by the MVWP585GW, which also has a sister model of the 586. Historically, the warranty terms were different between the *5 and the *6, and that seems to be the case again, but this time favoring the *6 - this is worth looking into more seriously. I have no idea what the build difference is between the 585 and the 575, but light research suggests they are similar (which is a good thing).

So the modern answer might actually be: Maytag MVWP586GW

I’m probably gonna get this one because it’s exactly what I want but did you get the matching dryer with it? My dryer is ok I guess but I wouldn’t mind something more basic at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Going on a trip tomorrow for a week. I’m sure you can guess where this is going.

I’ve had 2 previous leaks that were pretty major but were fixed. The plumber said the pipes are pretty lovely so I’m going to need a re pipe.

He did a re route downstairs for a smaller part and it sounds like it’s leaking in the exact same place. I don’t think he’s gonna be able to make it out today so just gonna have to shut the water off when I’m not using it and leave it off when I go on my trip tomorrow.

Luckily I started saving up last year when he said I’m gonna need a re pipe but it’s gonna be an 18k job.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Get a couple of quotes. When you say "re-pipe" what are you talking about? Replacing all the pipes inside the house, replacing pipes in the slab, etc? The location of the pipes is going to matter a lot. I'd also consider asking for quotes where you don't require them to repair the walls when they're done, assuming that's part of your current 18k quote. If you're comfortable patching dry wall and don't mind living with open walls for a bit and dealing with a kinda lovely job, it can save some bucks.

Earlier this year we had a somewhat similar issue, only in our case all our pipes were located in the slab (thanks, 1950s!). There were a few options, some of them eye wateringly expensive, but the one we went with was to re-pipe the house with PEX but route it all through the attic. The existing copper line was capped and abandoned in the slab and the PEX run through the walls. Since it was flexible they had to do a lot less dry wall tearing up than I feared, it was kind of like running electrical in that regard. Since I was also asking just for the plumbing work and didn't make them fix the walls I was able to get a bit off as well. The quote we went with was a bit less than half of what you're talking.

Hopefully something similar can be worked out for you, and you're not living in some area where trades are expensive as gently caress.

Yeah when I say re pipe I mean everything needs to go and stuff needs to be routed around the slab. The house was built in 2003 but they used the cheapest crappiest imported copper they could find and nearly everyone in the development has had issues ranging from minor to having to spend months out of the house while repairs are done.

I'm in Los Angeles and everyone in the neighborhood I've spoken with has all paid about 15-18k with some people getting quotes of 30k.

I'm really not sure about the PEX but I do know its cheaper but I've heard stories about rodents chewing on it.

The water is just going to be off till I get back and I can deal with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Because everyone cares I have house pipe update.

I left for my trip last Thursday and had the water off till I got back Monday night. The plumber came out on Tuesday morning and it seems like there's another slab leak someplace. Possibly between the main and the hot water heater but he wasn't sure and there's no real point in doing a leak detection at this point.

I'm going to get the whole house re piped with PEX on Saturday its a one day job and they are going to patch all the holes (no paint) and its going to run me $9500 out the door. I've spoken with a few people and its a fair price overall. A girl at work got hers done for $7500 but this was pre covid and at this point I just want my water back on.

Luckily I started saving up for this last year when I had the first two leaks so I knew it was coming but I had hoped I'd get a little more time out of it lol.

I'm also going to have him increase the pressure a bit since he had lowered it before to help with possible issues.

Oh well!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s cool that a teacher got retirement up and running. Maybe you can hang with him he seems pretty cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like I am in the movie the Money Pit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Just FYI the ventilation only comes out the rectangular hole with the vent tube attached. Internal speed holes will not allow you to pay off your mortgage faster, hth

Oh!!! And they had to cut into the stucco outside and! It loving rained again in LA last night. Luckily it wasn’t super windy so the rain probably didn’t get into the walls but wtf.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Did they tell you they'd be done in two weeks?

Well he said one day but they aren’t coming back to patch till tomorrow morning soooo.

It’s fine though because they are gonna patch because I only paid for half of the job.

I need to contact the HOA about painting outside because I have no clue what the paint color is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Sadly I need to buy a diswasher.

Budget is $600-$700, anyone have experiences with either of these models?

https://www.costco.com/samsung-46-d...stainless+steel

https://www.costco.com/whirlpool-top-control-dishwasher-with-soak-and-clean-cycle.product.100682823.html

Looking to get 5ish years out fo this until we do a kitchen reno and replace everything.

One thing I do know is that samsung can suck it. Never ever again anything samsung.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

Seriously.....what else is there to do? I don't understand the confusion unless their dishwasher is actually broken.

Bosh Benchmark supremacy. Not just a red light, a projected rotating status display on your floor. So useful. I take my dishwasher status very seriously.

I only have that stupid red light which has meaningless blinks when there is an error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spf3million posted:

Same. I'd need to cut through concrete though, not a small job.

Same. I was eye balling it for the fire pit but it’s a pretty big job.