Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

You need to check for ancient burial grounds.

I consulted the Tarot cards and signs appeared to be auspicious, indicated things will work out fine if I keep workin at stuff and rely on help from the people I know.

Thank u spirits.

Back on the glass, it is still in the bathroom because I left all my cleaning supplies, including my broom and dustpan, at my old house because I'm going down there in a couple hours with my mom and aunt to do the final cleanup. So of course I just walked out back to relieve myself this morning and while I was back there I took a look at the river and the water level was pretty high. There were flood warnings last night and it looks like the water almost came over the lower bank, if the dirt that has accumulated on the steps leading down to the riverbed is any indication.

My house is another like 15-20 feet rise a good distance from the riverbank and about 350 feet away from there towards the road, so I don't think I'll ever have to worry about flooding. If water hits that point the entire region is hosed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
anyone want to buy some BLOOD DIAMONDS (real) (not clickbait)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a recommendation for a battery backup that I can just plug my existing sump pump into?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think I'll just deal with a shower curtain that is not capable of lacerating me thanks.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I am having a hell of a time getting a hold of a contractor I had do some work recently, they also left several hundred dollars worth of tools in my garage, so it's weird that they're just not responding to me.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Complaining on the internet works, he literally just called me just now.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
For all the weirdness my new house has, it has all new pex plumbing so all of the valves are less than a year old and work fine, thank goodness.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you have a well pump maybe you could just cut your power to the house for a bit?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you'd probably have to open the taps to purge that cistern too.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think it would also hinge on the nature of the agreement you signed with the company (if any), which may necessitate getting a lawyer involved depending on exactly what was in the contract.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to getting a chip drop soonish, but i gotta get some other poo poo done first so I've wisely not requested one yet.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I haven't had insulation in my attic for a week since I had a bunch of asbestos-contaminated vermiculite removed, I'm getting new insulation this week but it has been a huge struggle to keep the house cool after midday, the attic just stores so much heat.

Dude quoted me two grand for 1400 sqft, 6.5" of cellulose insulation (supplies and labor) and also doing the band joist in the basement and I was like lol no triple that amount of insulation and seal everything please. Maybe he'll actually give me an update quote before he shows up lol.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I haven't had insulation in my attic for a week since I had a bunch of asbestos-contaminated vermiculite removed, I'm getting new insulation this week but it has been a huge struggle to keep the house cool after midday, the attic just stores so much heat.

Dude quoted me two grand for 1400 sqft, 6.5" of cellulose insulation (supplies and labor) and also doing spray on for band joist in the basement and I was like lol no triple that amount of insulation and seal everything please. Maybe he'll actually give me an update quote before he shows up lol.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Today is insulation day and the contractors are late. I'm not fussed about it because I've come to expect it with these guys. It's on them if they're gonna be here late in the day or have to come back tomorrow, I'm not paying them by the hour.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The contractor is telling me that doing more than 6.5" of cellulose insulation may have some weight issues for the ceiling drywall, i'm having trouble finding anything about this anyone got any advice on it?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I found my answer,

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/will-thick-cellulose-cause-your-ceiling-to-sag

I have 16" spans on the joists so it should more than handle it, I talked to the guy and he's getting enough for the full 18" like I want. gonna have R-60 up there aw yeaaaah.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
They also make spray foam that has little bits of metal in it that will dissuade mice from chewing through.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
hi friends, I put a pride flag up on my house yesterday and someone fuckin stole the entire flagpole it was connected to last night so now I'm on the warpath, can anyone recommend some affordable ip cameras I can put up before I buy another one so I can catch the next rear end in a top hat who comes on my property?

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 30, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

Other option, just camouflage a motion activated wildlife camera that records to an SD card and don't worry about privacy.

yeah thinking about it more this is probably the way I'm going to go. any recs? all the ones on Amazon look basically the same so I feel like this is one of those situations where they actually are all the same and it's a bunch of companies rebranding the same hardware

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Update on the pride flag theft:
my neighbor from across the street walked over with the flagpole yesterday afternoon, I guess he had a party last night and someone he knew brought some other guy he barely knew who stole and destroyed the flag and threw the flagpole into my neighbor's garage. he felt really bad about it and is buying me a replacement and said that dude is no longer welcome in his house.

He also offered to weed whip the drainage ditch in front of my house since he just does a bunch of other neighbors already.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I need to herbicide all the Trees of Heaven on a good portion of my property, cause just cutting them down makes them spread like mad. You can't just cut them down and hit the stump either, you gotta get the herbicide in there around this time of year and wait like a month for the tree to carry it down into the root system.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Correct. Glyphosate and a paint brush. You need to paint the stump within a couple of minutes of cutting it. This still won't work the first time around, but it's better than the other option of digging up soil and burning222 it.

No it doesn't work like for Tree of Heaven, other trees it will will work to stop new growth, but cutting this one triggers root suckering and it'll spout a ton of new growth from the root all around the tree, up to like 50 feet away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2OkDcHhfak

You gotta do hack and squirt with high concentration glyphosate or use like 50% triclopyr ester 1:4 ratio with some kind of bark penetrating oil (like basal oil) and spray all around the bottom of the trunk like a foot up from July to September when the tree is most strongly transporting carbohydrates and sugars down to the root system, and then wait like a month before you cut it down.

I gotta buy all the stuff this week I need to get on this or it's gonna be way worse next year., the dude I bought this house from clear-cut a wide path to the back of the property and all along that edge are a ton of these things, maybe like 40 to 80 of them and they're tall, but not terribly large in circumference yet, so I think it's still manageable.

I really wish it was just the cut down and paint the stump method, but it'll just make it spread over a larger area for next year.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 13, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
oh god poison ivy, I bumbled into some when I was cleaning out some grapevines the Friday before last because I was being a dumbass and wasn't wearing long sleeves and pants. literally the worst rash I've ever gotten in my whole life, and I didn't even realize I got it all over my arm at the time so I didn't immediately clean it off.

I am currently on steroids to reduce the immune response, and the rash only stopped seeping gunk like yesterday finally. Unless you're like one of the lucky humans who isn't allergic to it, take that poo poo seriously.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Yes. it does work like that. The rest of your post goes on to describe basal bark treatment which is also fine and sometimes more effective but not always practical depending on needs of the area or what people have at hand. I've used both. They both work.

Or I guess you can just take your argument back to the ag extension and tell them your theory on why one of the methods they're training is wrong. I'm sure they'll love to hear from you. extension@psu.edu.

did you even watch that video I posted? you can cut them down and herbicide the stump but that only kills the stump, it doesn't affect all the roots so it will cause a ton of root suckering and new shoots coming up. I'm not saying it's ineffective for most plants, but for tree of heaven specifically it won't kill the whole plant and you'll still get a ton of new growth off the existing roots.

That was reflected in several other college pages I found on tree of heaven specifically.

https://extension.psu.edu/tree-of-heaven

quote:

If cutting tree-of-heaven for immediate safety reasons, do so and treat the stump. However, cut stump herbicide applications are not recommended because they do not provide effective control of roots. Stump treatments will keep the stump free of sprouts, but they will not prevent root suckering.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 13, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
also proper radon testing takes like a week to get a good average and remediation is pretty straightforward so from what I've seen most people just don't bother since it's not generally an effective way to claw some concessions out of a seller.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I mostly use costco now for those crossiants, the kirkland protein bars, shelf stable vanilla soymilk, and their big bags of sweet potato fries. eggs aren't even the cheapest there anymore I can get a dozen eggs at the aldi near my new house for a buck.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
the costco gas station is open before costco opens, whenever I stop there on the way to work to fill up it is usually reasonable.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
One year one kid showed up with a pinewood derby car that was just the unpainted rectangle that comes in the kit, with the wheels tacked on, and nothing else and he came in like third

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Buy one from Amazon and then return it, citing the return reason as "no longer needed"

Not a lie.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My sump pump goes on about that often because we have a high water table here and water is constantly seeping into the sump pit, which my neighbors confirmed when I mentioned it to them a while back since they have the same thing going on. The flipper who had this house before me didn't put in a check valve so once I added that it reduced the amount of time between when the pump would kick on because half the water wasn't just dumping back into the sump pit out of the pipe after being pumped upwards when the pump would turn off.

It could very well just be normal for your area, see what your neighbors say about it. I know I need to get some kind of backup for the power down there in case I lose power because my basement will very likely flood if that pump goes out for any significant amount of time.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now the real question is: Is this because they were too dumb, too lazy, or too cheap?

Looking at some of the other things in this house, for instance the kitchen drawer that physically could not open because it hit the handle of another drawer around the bend in the counter, it was some combination of all three.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
a friend of mine used to winterize unoccupied houses for a management company, what they would do is shut off the water main, turn the taps on, and then pump antifreeze into the pipes by hooking up to the hose faucet.

this was also for places where the power and gas would just be shut off entirely for some period, so that is definitely overkill for normal situations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
What's the thread's go to recommendation for moisture/mildew resistant bathroom paint? I'm finally getting around to it and I want to make sure I just get the good stuff the first time around since the coverage in there right now is pretty awful and I get a good amount of condensation on the ceiling that sticks around for a while even when I run the exhaust.

A friend of mine recommended Sherwin Williams Duration but that seems more general purpose than explicitly for bathrooms so I want a second opinion here.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got my first mortgage in 2016 and there was not a single year my mortgage company successfully predicted how much my escrow needed in it, it was always short until the day I paid the mortgage off and just started handling my property taxes and insurance myself

I have a new house now with a new mortgage company and I'm just expecting it'll be the same deal forever.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you don't want that moss give it to me.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you got like a shed or something you need to let daylight into, you can make one of those solar tube lights yourself by filling a clear plastic soda bottle with water and a bit of bleach (to stop stuff from growing in the water and clouding it up) and cramming that thing through a hole in the roof then seal it with some tar or something. That's actually where I first saw the concept, for lighting structures during the day that don't have access to power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

As someone who spent an alarming amount of time building cheap boats out of even cheaper 1/8" plywood, poorly painting them with "wrong color" house paint, then leaving them to (not) rot in my mom's side yard for a decade and a half sitting on damp clay, I think you can safely trust the plywood will be just fine with a roof over it six inches off the ground. It's pretty hard to gently caress up plywood unless you build giant bowls to correct rain water with and even then it's pretty resilient

at my last house there was a metal shed with plywood floor and some time after I moved in the floor started to rot. when I pulled up the wood I found that the dude who built it had laid a tarp over the metal floor frame before screwing down the wood on top of it, making an excellent barrier between the wood and the ground that was extremely good at collecting water.