Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Buy a decent schlage deadbolt and use it instead of whatever qwikset crap your house has now, random kids who read the MIT guide to lockpicking are not going to be able to pick or bump their way through.

Most, if not all schlage uses the SC1 key blank, which takes about 5 seconds to find a pre-cut bump key on the internet.

If its sold at Home Depot, its probably crap.

I have nice locks. Yes, you could smash a window, but then at-least I'll have no problems filing a claim with my insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Leperflesh posted:

Are you suggesting that if someone entered your home and stole stuff, and you had left the door unlocked, that your insurance company might refuse to pay out?

I don't know this for a fact but I'd be very surprised if an insurance company can get out of a burglary claim by claiming you failed to adequately secure your house. Short of leaving the door wide open with a big sign saying "FREE STUFF, COME ON IN AND TAKE WHAT YOU WANT," going into a private residence and taking things is still theft no matter the condition (or lack of) locks.

Yes. Your individual situation may be different, but I have a policy with a large, well known company so I would think that the "boilerplate" terms and conditions of my policy are standard across all of the polices my insurance issues, if not standard across the industry - barring any local laws in other jurisdictions that may prohibit such clauses. I've read my policy, and it has a clause indicating that if most any claim is the result of my negligence, the policy may (aka will) refuse to pay out. If I leave the garage door open while I go out running errands and all my tools are taken, or leave the water in the bath running while I run errands resulting in flooding the basement - insurance is gonna tell me to pound sand. The exceptions tend to resolve around personal injuries - ie someone gets drunk at a party and falls off my deck, insurance can't try to claim I should have had professional bartender training and cut the fool off at 2 drinks.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

This goes directly to the definition of the word "negligence." Generally for insurance it means something like "how a normal person would act," which is itself somewhat wishy-washy. When it comes to burglary, I do not know if courts have determined that (say) leaving a door unlocked is negligent. Perhaps it would be negligent in a neighborhood where everyone locks their doors, but would not be negligent in a neighborhood where ordinary "reasonable people" leave their doors unlocked?

I'm failing to pull up obvious case law, but IANAL so that's not surprising.

e. I've decided to ask about this in the legal questions megathread.

Maybe. From my perspective, ~$200 in locks (retail, I actually asked some friends for some surplus stock) and two hours of my time is a hell of a lot cheaper than retaining a lawyer to fight the insurance company in court.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Oh, I agree. Priority #1 is prevention. Priority #2 is what happens when prevention fails (since unless you live in a concrete underground bunker, there is probably some "hole" in your security), and I've had a lot of lovely experiences with some company making a promise (insurance, warranty, etc) and not following through without some kind of fight. I may be pessimistic and paranoid, but it seems like that is the kind of world that exists today.