Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The wife has a mini meltdown back in early April about some of the projects that hadn't been completed, so we sat down and made a list and estimated costs and time commitments.

Among the things we have completed in the past 6 weeks are:
  • Installed in-wall speakers in the living room.
  • Ran wiring behind the walls for the TV to the amp, while adding some soft lighting behind the TV (this was my project, and it came out great!)
  • Replaced doorknobs that were ugly, worn, or not functioning properly.
  • Paint the front door, adding a kick plate and a new push-button keylock and handle.
  • Filling in bald spots in the front yard with fresh seed and soil, and killing so many weeds.
  • Tearing out overgrown plants and putting down weed cover before covering with river pebbles around the mailbox and garden beds.
  • Installed a ceiling fan and switch where there was none before.
  • Clean and organize garage, while adding some racks, shelves, and hooks to hold tools, my bike, etc.
  • Clean and organize the walk-in attic.
  • Fix a broken fence post and fencing in the backyard.
  • Bought furniture and string lights for the front porch, making it one of our favorite places to hang out in the evenings.

It's been exhausting and somewhat expensive, but doing the work ourselves and buying tools that we'll get more use out will make future projects cheaper. I'm always way more successful with projects when I make a list and a plan beforehand. YouTube and Google are awesome resources for DIY projects and inspiration. Every home is a fixer-upper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

I just bought 30 led light bulbs. This only covers my vanity lighting in the bathrooms. It is the last of the CFLs remaining in the house though

If anyone is looking for good led bulbs Walmart has the basic 60w for sub $3, top rated on the wirecutter.

I bought similar LED lights from Lowes last year, $12 for a 6 pack. They also had 40 watt equivalent bulbs if you need those.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

Is the general consensus that we should start replacing all CFL's with LED's preemptively, or just upon burnout? I have a few LED's but most of my bulbs are ~3yo CFL's. I picked color temp and wattage as appropriate for my various uses at the time.

I only did it because I was buying a new house and didn't want to have to get the ladder out all the time to replace lights in high fixtures. I bought better LED bulbs for the fan in the living room because it has 18-foot ceilings and the fan is 10 feet in the air. I wouldn't recommend replacing them all unless you still have incandescent bulbs that are wasting money and generating heat.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I went to grab something out of my walk-in crawlspace (I know, right?) and when I opened the door a big black snake fell from his resting place on top. I have no idea how it got up there exactly, but it fell to my feet and tried to bite me. I've never had an experience that actually made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up before this, and now I act like a tepid little girl every time I have to go down there.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

Wouldn't it just be a "walkspace" then?

You have to crawl towards the front of the house (enters from the back yard) so I guess walk-then-crawlspace is most accurate.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If it's level I believe all you have to do is put down a vapor barrier and then put the planks down. Cutting the ends is really easy with a chop saw, and still pretty easy with a circular saw. Cutting the last row to fit is really the only somewhat complicated part.

Yep, did this myself in my living room/dining area/entry way a few years ago. It was about 800 square foot and it took all of Saturday and some of Sunday to finish up everything. I recommend using the spacers on the wall you're pounding up against, and buy the recommended tool as it saves you so much time and effort getting everything together tightly. Put down vapor barrier and get to work. Closets, doorways, etc. require some thought but it was relatively easy overall. Put a fresh blade on your chop saw, too.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Sharkbite fittings are literally magic.

Truth! A friend helped me replace my hot water tank and it was a pain in the rear end doing all the soldering (little leaks kept happening). Another friend put in a tank and I helped, and those press-on fittings made the job so fast and painless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My dad cut a lead pipe out of the upstairs bathroom that was literally just large enough to fit a BB into. Also built in that same era.