Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Nessa posted:

They don't seem to be very deep, they're just very visible.

Lay down a towel and iron it over the scratches with high heat and high steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

mastershakeman posted:

So I have a ton of old 2 prong outlets throughout the house. We've also just started baby proofing everything and the slide covers won't fit on these old outlets.

With that being said, one baby proofing guy said GFCis don't require slide covers. and I kind of recall someone saying that for going from 2 prong non grounded to 3, i should be doing GFCis anyways?

Is all this correct?

You should ask in the home wiring thread, but I think you should be more concerned with the plugs being tamperproof than GFCI.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

dalstrs posted:

Is there any yard mosquito control that actually works or are they all gimmicks? They guy at the hardware store was telling me how great some garlic extract stuff they sell was but it was around $70 for a gallon which is 4x as expensive as most of the other insecticides they were selling.

DDT. Nets.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, the rock should be high enough that people look at it and think "if I drive over that, it might hit the underside of my bumper". It doesn't have to be anywhere near 2' tall.

Still, perhaps my handtruck suggestion was overoptimistic.

I have a welded steel dolly with solid wheels that I use to move around stones up to 300 lbs. I don't recommend it, but it is doable.

My childhood home had 9 - 12 inch stones lining the extension for exactly this reason.

Shredded lawn guy: Have you considered a split rail fence?

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 3, 2017

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

brugroffil posted:

What is the point of an elaborate home CCTV system?

I imagine finding out which of my neighbors is failing to clean up after their dogs. If I can give video to the police, rear end in a top hat neighbors get tickets. What could go wrong?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I use my 21 in push mower to mow the 45 degree area of my yard. I had a self-propelled as a teenager when the yard was flat. I don't think a self-propelled would make it without grinding ruts, and I don't want the extra weight of the drive system.

My manual also says not to attempt anything over 15 degrees. gently caress 'em.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Elephanthead posted:

I have declared war on thistles. Welding gloves are all I could find that were thorn proof. Stupid cheap rear end neighbors feeding birds thistle seed.

A day after a rain is the best time. I need my hands in good shape, so I'm picky about gloves. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004R9RW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

H110Hawk posted:

I would gladly take a scratch and dent one. What is the secret to finding them?

An awl and hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Do you tip contractors that are doing work for you? I have some guys putting in a patio, and they've been doing a very good job quickly. But I'm paying them what seems to be a sizable amount of money (comparable to other quotes I received, but had I done it myself, it wouldn't have cost nearly as much - just a lot of time and back pain). I'm not sure what the etiquette is. I've grown up tipping some service people, but not all.

You seem to be getting what you paid for. Congratulations!