Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
When I bought my house two years ago I tried to get the phone connected. It gave a fault in the exchange because the electrician could do mains power wiring but was too retarded to do simple communications wiring. I got him back to fix his retarded installation and at one point I have the technician from the infrastructure provider on the phone so I could give the electrician instructions. He still got the wires around the wrong way and there was hosed up wired to the second jack point. Useless prick.

Then there's a landslide that I've talked about before in BWM. Due to a lack of adequate retaining some of my shrubs and lawn slid down my property to gently caress knows where. Got an insurance payout that only paid for surveying and design. Spending $64k out of my own pocket to build a massive retaining wall, at least I know that'll never go anywhere, it's so massive it will probably outlast humanity.

Of course this has sucked up a lot of money so I know I've got the cash flow to get back to sorting out things that are needed. So I finally paid for a new bed, the current bed has broken springs, the base has collapsed into a deformed parallelogram and now seems to have an incline.

Buying a house can have some major financial implications, and create set backs. My plan for massive investment has been set back about a year due to this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Sorry to hear about all these problems with poo poo everywhere. Depending on your local codes (and legal requirements) the sewer should be an independent connection to the street unless there is an easement on the title. Their line is their problem unless it's allowed to be there. Probably a bad idea having a second pipe connected unless it was sized to deal with two houses worth of sewage.

Anyway onto my bitching I'm getting sick of contractors constantly working out of my garage. However the upside is there might only be a weeks worth of worth left to finish the retaining wall. The downside is I'll have a heap of work to do fixing up the lawn (as it's pretty much dirt or weeds after all the work being carried out).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

slap me silly posted:

Oh god, you're still working on that? Ugh

It's a lot of work with various subcontractors. Also due to the height they've built a handrail (they got a bit carried away with that though even in the areas where it wasn't needed). The backyard will be significantly improved as an outside area, instead of shrubs to keep people away from the edge it'll be grass all the way to the handrail. Still things to bitch about for now.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Is this the right thread to bitch about running out of grass seed this morning. Also why do birds like eating all the seed? Is the "anti-bird coating" delicious?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Worst part is, the bird was circling and watching me the whole time, so I tried to move the nest into an adjacent tree (with disposable gloves even), but the dove was too dumb to figure it out

I'm a monster :(

They only understand the same location, and even gloves would likely change the smell so it would reject them.

I'd suggest using a net in the future both the bird and the eggs make good eating.

e: I just bought a 750g bag of grass seed. Probably going to end up with a lot of fat birds in my area.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 24, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Whenever I get reports on old drains they are usually full of tree roots. Just clean the trap, maybe use some draino or whatever similar product to clear out built up gunk. If there's still a problem after that you might want to have the drains looked at. There are some pretty good methods for clearing out blockages including root cutting tools if you are ready to spend.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Retaining wall work has been completed, now I'm trying to sow enough grass seed so the weeds don't take over the additional usable land. Of course it's winter now so nothing wants to grow and there's barely enough daylight. The birds still love eating the grass seed with the anti bird coating, the little pricks.

One of the neighbourhood cats messed up the soil a bit as there's a muddy patch that's slow to drain and it looks like the cat sank into it quite deeply. No cats have disappeared though.

The most painful part is I've tapped into the floating rate lending for the house as the invoices are huge. Still another $10k invoice to come and the structural engineer just send another invoice. It's cashflow painful.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Time to pull the carpet and buy some box fans I guess. Thankfully I do have a dehumidifier so that's running.

Was about to say to do this. You need to circulate air and vent to the outside, then run the dehumidifier with the windows closed. Cold outside air is drier than warm air (assuming there is some cold air outside this time of year where ever you live).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've paid the last invoice for the retaining wall. Now I'm trying to grow grass in the middle of winter which is going at a snails pace.

I looked back to the stack of invoices I received in May for the majority of the work and inspections by the structural engineer and combined with new furniture I spent about $40k that month. Other than buying my house I've never spent that much in my life. So I'm in the negatives and clocking up floating rate interest, although part of that is made worse by a number of slow paying clients. I really do get that money pit feeling at the moment.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Axiem posted:

There's a Home Networking Thread that can probably help.

Ask the thread as well as I haven't updated the OP for quite some time.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The lease is their problem and the fact they haven't notified them of ownership change any problems have been created by them.

I'm still trying to grow grass in the middle of winter. There's so much rain at the moment that the grass shoots are being washed around so it's looking patchy. Can't wait until all this rain settles down to get work done outside.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

No, calm down. The suggestion was to use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the spiders and then dispose of the vacuum bag in the garbage; then the spiders are gone.

I agree nothing can go wrong.

Not sure why everyone gets all worried about spiders though, there are some huge spiders that turn up at my place.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I discovered mcmansion hell. There's actually some good design advice along with many houses that should have been coat hangered instead of built. It seems kind of BWM but probably fits better here.
http://www.mcmansionhell.com/

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Nothing like taking something functional and ruining it. Then again trying to build a mansion on the budget for an ordinary house is always going to be a disaster.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I want to bitch about increasing interest rates. I've been looking at currency forwards and it looks like the market is expecting an interest rate increase in NZ of about 1%. Which means our 4.5-5% interest rates will hit around 6% later this year if the market is correct. This is the one thing I hate about having a mortgage is being subject to interest rate fluctuations (and the Reserve Bank has a habit of running interest rates to 8-9% just prior to a crash).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Typical fixed rates are only 1-3 years. 4, 5 or 10 year terms exist but are not commonly used. We are very subject to the NZD/USD currency pair as our banks borrow to meet their capital requirements. The interest rates I've referred to are the fixed terms. Floating rates are in the order of 5.65%+ at the moment and will be similar or above 6% by the end of the year.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, in the US you can get fixed-rate loans that are fixed for the entire duration of the loan, in addition to the "fixed for awhile, then floats" loans. I have a fixed-rate 15-year mortgage for example.

Sucks to be in New Zealand, I guess. :shrug:

It's just part of the deal of buying a house here. I've been changing my repayment terms to 15 years so I'm nailing the mortgage principle. The short term approach does encourage people to move or climb the property ladder (which is bullshit).

On the flip side the property bubble has increased the market value of my house by $100k in the last year. So if I do decide to sell there would be a substantial capital gain (tax free), however I don't want to pay rent again. The last place I rented cost $275 per week, the same place less than 3 years later is rented for $390 per week. poo poo is crazy over here and people are about to find out why paying too much for housing is a problem when the interest rates climb rapidly.

Leperflesh posted:

The thing is, economic theory says that due to that exposure, buyers should be less willing to pay as much for the actual house; in other words, you should be compensated for your exposure to rate risk by paying less for the home. In practice I suspect borrowers in other countries are just as prone as American buyers to shortsightedness and short memories, assuming that if they can afford their payments today they will always be able to afford their payments even if interest rates double, they lose their jobs, or whatever.

I'm watching the number of urgent or motivated sellers in the Auckland market. It's a form of entertainment for me with people that have realised that renting out a McMansion has a terrible return when interest rates increase.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Low interest rates push house prices up. I've love to pay those exceedingly low interest rates though. The rates in NZ are 4.5%-6% with short fixed terms mostly 1-3 years. In Auckland prices are up an insane amount. The region I live in house prices are up an average of $100k and in 2.5 years my house has increased in value by at least $170k. It's pretty crazy right now.