Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How the gently caress can they not afford a $300 inspection if they’re buying a new build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Maybe they mean they can’t afford all the problems an inspection will reveal, so they’re choosing ignorance?

Well if they’re “buying” it then they haven’t closed on the house, and even if they did new builds come with warranties

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sundae posted:

I know Hadlock is talking about "a whole gently caress of Kallax items" given he said 25 storage containers, but I'm still :lol:ing at the mental image of someone struggling with a single Kallax shelf for 6 hours. "BUT WHERE DO THE 12 IDENTICAL BOLTS GO?"

I just built one the other weekend in an hour but I only had one beer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

ReStore is good for this too.

Don't get me wrong, there is a LOT of straight up junk, but you can also get some really solid furniture that just needs a light refinish or even just a good cleaning. Bookshelves in particular are a good score there.

A couple years ago some rich person in my town died and all their stuff got sent to the ReStore. There was a full white Italian leather living room set in new condition for $500. I got a $2000 driftwood floor lamp with the price tag still on it for $200.

So I guess my point is if you want to increase the chances for better loot, you know what to do.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They also had a mounted black goat head which they insisted they were not allowed to sell me because it would be illegal

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve never encountered a flow restrictor that didn’t require a ton of force, cutting and plier work to remove so I’m extremely mad at the motherfuckers online who always seem to get the ones that pop out easily. The last shower head I did had the filter integrated with restrictor so I had to remove both and accept that debris will probably shorten the thing’s lifespan.

Still worth it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is the wire there to serve your house? I've been wondering the same about the old phone line box that wasn't removed when they installed FiOS.

Rip that poo poo out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Question about framing since I can't find a clear diagram-

I want to drop ethernet from my attic to the first floor. The interior wall I'm going to use on the second floor doesn't correspond to a wall on the first floor so it'll need to go from a stud bay to a joist cavity and then over a few feet.

How do I make that transition? Can I just drill down from the bottom plate and expect to punch through straight to the joist cavity?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s all smooth drywall so I’m not going to be too fussed about patching holes.

Thinking about it again though, I can take a more circuitous route from the attic, down two floors into the basement through a common wall, and then over a few joists and up into the first floor. That way most of the patching is in the basement ceiling and I won’t have to deal with a ceiling to wall transition.

Or just say gently caress it and run it out the soffit and through the exterior of the house and be done with it in 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

are you sure you properly set your dishwasher to 5 hours and 1 minute